Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone lucky enough to have picked up their Q3 can use this thread to post a mini review

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well it's here - picked it up 12.30 yesterday lunch time - first thoughts really good and very smooth compared to my BMW 318 petrol -,also glaicer White s line with tinted windows looks very smart - personal choice but glad I didn't waver and go for daytona - more after Christmas break!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vern,
Pleased to hear you got it in time for Christmas!

I saw a Q5 in white with tinted windows the other day and I must say it did look really nice. Look forward to hearing more about it when you've had time to play!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi all - driven a few hundred miles now over Christmas so thought I'd give a quick review. Initial feedback is that the auto box is so smooth compared to my bmw318 auto - you can barely feel the changes. Also I was concerned that a diesel engine would be noisy but it seems quieter than my petrol BMW. Overall it is seems very refined and I do like the higher ride height - the fit and finish is excellent as well and I have to say the service I got from the dealer once it arrived in the uk to picking up Christmas eve was second to none. Can't find anything to fault yet although I need to work through the maze of the tech pack and it appears you can't save ordinary music CDs into the jukebox which will be a pain! V

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I've had the car a week now and promised oldgranti and a few others a weekly update seeing as I seem to be one of the few who ordered the SE manual. First of all I am still absolutely enthused with everything about it so to be unbiasely reflective is proving to be difficlut.
I cannot fault anything, the car runs as sweet as honey, it is very refined, especially so considering it is a diesel, it rides quite firm but comfortable and feels as solid as a rock. The heated seats are a godsend and considering the engine is still very tight, only done 200miles to date, it starts in less than a second every morning no matter how cold.
If I am going to be negative (I really am struggling here) then the only slight negative, even then it might be me as I am used to a qashqai gearbox, is that when changing down from 5th to 4th I occasionally get 6th, but I am getting used to knowing how to move the stick in the right direction now.
I will update again next week

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi SteadyKev, Thanks for update. Sounds really good, makes me even more jealous. Still hopefully not to long until I get mine. Looking forward to your next update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One week and 500 miles on the clock

Nice and smoothe power delivery,quieter than my mates new BMW 320d.
S-Tronic box as good as ever but still an almost imperceptible delay in drive pick-up on take off....everyone Ive had has been like this otherwise superb gearbox.

Fuel consumption quite high at the moment as expected,standard suspension...just fine,
interactive xenon lighting system is outstanding and perfect on country roads.

Couple of annoying little rattles and a loud squeak from the rear passenger area on bumps are a couple of things I never signed up for or expected.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Guys, 2nd update for you.
Car still a dream
, done 460miles now and returning 46mpg according to the overall figures on the computer. It is still very quiet and comfortable. I'm still in Comfort mode on the drive select. No rattles or squeaks as yet as reported by others, fingers crossed. I have had 3 minor hiccups though. First was mobile phone wouldn't charge up from the 12v sockets turned out to be the phone charger cable as new one cured the problem
, second was mobile wouldn't make a call so had to reboot phone, never entered my head that it would be an Audi fault
. I am getting used to not having to pair the phone up every time I get in the car, a definite bonus. The third was I caught the paintwork on rear bumper slightly with a spade
, so getting a touch up paint tube from the dealers
. Yes I know I shouldn't be going anywhere near the car with a spade but it's a long story. I have washed the car twice now and it is very easy to do and is still beading water with the autoglym protection applied prior to delivery - well worth it. Trouble is I fear going past HGV's and the like at the moment, paranoi setting in as it's a nice new Audi !!!!!!!!!!!
I have now got used to the gearbox i.e. going from down from 5th to 4th, there is a slight notch that you can feel and you ever so simply slide it to the left of this, I do it now without even thinking about it. All Good Good Good

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds good steadykev, I've ordered 2L d se white met 2 wheel drive ,can't wait with pist leather,and a few other bits sat,dab,etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it going to be better than my bmw320d se.that I bought new in Oct 99 on v, and its still purring 55mpg,at even just over 75mpg.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Graham1, regarding the mpg on my 2.0tdi I should also point out that I live in a hilly district and have to drive half the journey to work (about 7 miles) up and down hills so this may help gauge your question. When I'm on the "flat" and in 5th or 6th it shows around 52mpg when warm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
3 days old & Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant.
Even washed it in the snow & rain today to remove the country road mud from yesterday's run out.
Further up dates later although first impression is well worth the wait from May last year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Q3 SE 140 BHP 2.0 liter Diesel.Leather and heated seats, optional baggage and stowage facilities and folding /heated mirrors.
One week on and almost 700 miles on the clock this car is still finding ways to impress me.Picked up the car from the show room and it oozed class on the dealers forecourt. The car has was treated with Auto Glym Lifeshine and has a finish like glass making for a very striking appearance. Inside the cab the fit and feel are classy too, with the seating position perfect offering the right amount of comfort with the optimal driving position and they fit my body much better than the "lie down low" seating of the Cabriolet I traded in.The dash board is simple, sharp and everything is visible, none of the head lowering or craning to see a dial not in view - very well thought out. The pop up display screen and software powering the various menu options is simple to use and very clear, all presented at the right height for the driver and passangers viewing - nice.The gear box is nice and slick with 3rd gear being my favorite pulling the car from the low twenties all the way to sixty with know hesitation and tons of mid range torque. There is very little engine noise even when under demand and if you have the superb sound system on - the bog standard one for this car - you do not hear it at all. Road noise is virtually none existant and there is no wind noise at all when motoring. The car feels safe and assured on even the most demanding country roads and when that moment comes to pass someone it inspires confidence as it effortlessly rises to the throttle demand for the required power. You quickly find yourself missing a gear going from third to fifth or sixth as the momentum of the cars ample power fires you safely along your way.The steering wheel is nice in the hand but I find myself looking to see if it straight as the dash board must be slightly off set - it has taken me a few days to work this one out.All round visibility is OK with good view forward and through the rear view mirror, the large pillars in the middle of the car make it a little awkward to see especially coming off a concealed drive way where extra vigilance is required. The door mirrors are very good with a lot of adjustment in them fro any sized driver and they relay a lot of information and detail of the view to side and rear, they should come though from the factory with the folding on exit built as standard, I keep forgetting to select the fold into the car option which bugs me slightly.The parking break also took some getting used to but now I think it is pure class. Touch the foot break and "pull up" to apply the hand break and you will feel the foot break pedal move away from your foot slightly. With the ignition on touch the foot break and "push off" the hand break or just begin to drive off and it releases - very clever.Boot space for me seems very large after the letter box opening I had to deal with on the Cabriolet and the lack of a spare wheel is begining to haunt me. It is only a matter of percentages before anyone suffers a puncture and the thought that you may need a new tyre if you use the puncture kit provided and that could knock you back £200 - I think if the worst happens I will call the recovery!All things considered this is by far the best car I have owned, is a joy to drive and has a lot of eye candy. That coupled with almost 60 MPH and quite low insurance of £400 per annum (Audi's own) I can see me keeping this car for a good few years so long as the fuel pumps don't dry up!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi wes,
Great to read your review. I pick mine up on Thursday, same engine but in Glacier White. I can understand your concern about lack of spare wheel. My last two cars (Mazda 6's) were also supplied with no spare. After a while you get used to not having a spare. I did have a puncture on one occasion and following advice from Mazda sales when collecting the car did not use the sealant kit but contacted the RAC. They came out took the wheel off and drove me to nearest Kwikfit who repaired the puncture and RAC drove me back and re-fitted the wheel (great service).
As many others have commented your car looks superb, many happy miles of motoring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello all q3 owners , had my Q3 a week now,perley white ite georgus, drove up to windsor yesterday to pick up grandchildren, from worthing in west sussex i achieved 63 mpg over all the journey keeping car at just over 60mphthere and back, im really chuffed with the whole experiance its superb, the rain sensor never kicked in, but im sure it will,my son whose a car designer, could only find one issue, when he looked over car, absolutley fantastic...

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes spare wheel, is an issue i think i may get spare space saver , does any one know how much one is.. my son has said get a puncture and its not just £18 FOR repair if you use the audi kit its £ 150 for new tyre..i didnt find out about no spare until handover which slightlysoured it..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I brought this jinx on myself.Driving along when the steering went very heavy coming out of a right hand bend.
Big nail (hope you can make it out) stuck in the middle of the tyre; miles from anywhere with no signal on the phone!!Manages to keep the tyre inflated using a electronic tyre pump stopping where I could until I got to the nearest Kwik Fit which was OPEN. It cost £22.50 to have the puncture repaired and no damage to the tyre, mind you it had over 50psi in on occasions.The first thing the mechanic asked is did I use the CRAP kit to keep the wheel inflated and was relieved to hear that It was still in the boot.Apparently it is not a straight forward job to clean the wheel and it would definitely have cost me a new tyre. I would also have to leave the car with them instead of the twenty or so minutes it took to do the repair. I have only had two punctures in almost forty years driving and this has knocked my confidence a bit - I think I should have ordered a spare wheel and might do so for piece of mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
</font>I ordered my Q3 about 6 months ago for a Jan 1
delivery. Since then I have followed
much of the discussion on this forum with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Excitement in looking forward to driving a
quality car as evidenced by so many positive enthusiastic posts from satisfied
drivers, yet tempered with trepidation as to whether my car would have the
dreaded front end vibration issue.
Having driven it for several hundred miles I feel I can give a review,
perhaps aimed at people who are considering whether to purchase a Q3 or waiting
for one on order. To assist as a
reference point I can say that I have owned a number of cars ranging from
Mercedes SLK, E280, Freelander, Discovery, BMW 3 series etc.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /></font></font>

</font>The Q3 impressed me straight away. The smoothness of the gear changing, the
solid feel of the vehicle and the feeling of understated power under foot. The initial and remaining impression is that the
vehicle is better than I thought it would be and my expectations were fairly
high. The steering takes a little
getting used to, especially when navigating country roads or roundabouts;
however the optional damper control set to dynamic makes the car a little bit
tighter and perhaps is a good setting for those moving up from a smaller car.</font></font>

</font>Overall the car performs as well as it looks; solid,
reliable with a predictably smooth ride.</font></font>

</font>The area where I am a little disappointed is the road noise
from the driver's door side. I can definitely
notice the sounds of traffic passing in the opposite direction much more than
most vehicles I have owned and even compared to an A3 I have recently been
using. After a while I get used to this,
(especially when the radio or the wonderful Bose speakers are cranking out my
noise of choice), yet it is worth mentioning this fact as conversely the road
noise from the front end is minimal.</font></font>

</font>The Q3 has been criticised as being dull and not exciting. To be fair I would agree, this is not the car
for thrills. My overriding emotion when
driving the Q3 is not excitement, but rather very, very deep satisfaction. I
cannot help feeling that all is well in the world when sat behind the wheel of
this effortlessly easy to drive and pleasurable car.</font></font>

</font>I can certainly recommend this vehicle to anyone
contemplating it. I was seriously
looking at the Evoque when choosing my car.
The Evoque has a number of pluses and minuses; but the key difference is
the driving position. The Q3 gives you
great visibility and the Evoque just does not.</font></font>

</font>When I was younger I was told that BMWs are for people who
are 'getting there'; Mercedes are for people who ‘are there' and Jaguars are
for people who ‘have been there'. The Q3
could apply to all these; however it is probably best appreciated by a driver
who has a mature approach to driving.</font></font>

</font>

Edited by: Geezer

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice one Geezer.
I concur with the feeling of deep satisfaction.
Enjoy the 'well World'. I do on my 4 hrs of commuting each day.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts