Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shall be ordering the Q3 TDI (177) Quattro SE S tronic at the weekend but I can't make up my mind on a couple of the options:
Hill hold assist - is it pointless with the auto box ?
Lumbar support - does anyone find that useful
Park assist with or without camera ?

Re the hill hold I have a VW Golf with DSG auto box which holds only for a few seconds when you release the brake pedal and can catch you out if you don't pull away quick enough, the hill hold assist would have been useful for that but I don't know if the S tronic does the same thing ?

Park assist I like the idea of but I am struggling to persuade myself that it's worth £450 extra for the camera option, not really sure what that adds to the party.

Having said that I have an options list that has hit £7k anyway so I'm not really being very sensible about the whole order

Great shame that there is no DAB radio option.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Bozal and welcome.

The Auto in the Q3 does the same as your Golf, holds for a couple of seconds after releasing the brake, so Hill Hold Assist is probably not necessary IMO. I don't have it and never been in a situation where I wished I had!
Lumbar support adjustment is a necessity for me personally with my dodgy back and I find it's quite effective.
And finally, my door mirrors are my rear view cameras. Combined with the rear sensors and pretty decent rear visibility, I don't see the need for a camera.

Hope this helps
Edited by: Malph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Malph, certainly helps thanks, you may not know but I would have thought that the hill hold assist may then be of benefit as I assume it would continue to hold after foot was off the break, so no more rolling back ?

I agree on the sensors, I'm sure that will be fine for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Bozal, my Q3 is manual but I think hill hold assist is brilliant, on any slope just press the foot brake once and the car just stays there, no operation of hand brake is required and then just pull away when you like, I think the manual states that after a period of time the handbrake will be automatically applied but I have not experienced that, for the relatively small cost I think it was money well spent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess at £90 that is true, mind you I seem to find a reason to have everything. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had hill hold assist on my Tiguan, also an automatic. I considered it an option, but did not specify it on the Q3.

So what do I miss- well in stop start traffic the handbrake does not automatically apply itself. So, I just keep my foot on the brake and the stop start then kicks in. Hill hold and stop start does not work IMHO.

If you are on a hill, just apply the parking brake and it automatically releases when you set off anyway.

I did have minor niggles with the hill hold assist on my Tiguan, such as when parking, you would try and edge forwards, but as soon as it detected you were stopped, it would apply itself. A few more centimetres in any direction meant you had to release it, or it lurched very slightly as you applied pressure to the accelerator; swiftly moving to the brake pedal- Hmmm, now I know remember why I didn't specify it.

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Agreed with all the above...

Hill start assist is completely superfluous with an S-Tronic 'box.

Lumbar support would probably be useful although I don't have it and don't miss it - the Audi seats are extremely comfortable and supportive without it. If however you have a back problem or suffer from backache at all it might be worth having the extra degree of adjustment.

Park assist is great but the camera is neither necessary nor worth the extra.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks, I have now decided to add in the electric seats which includes the lumbar support so in the spirit of compromise with my wife I shall give up the hill hold assist and the luggage pack as a contribution towards this option. (I shall probably add them back in when she is not looking).

·
Registered
234 Posts
That lumbar support is an option I wish I had chosen. Instead I went and bought at £17 D-cushion roll for the driver's seat. My OH has no problem with lumbar support but I had the same lumbar support problem in 2001 in my VW Golf4 tDi. Maybe VAG seat designers could take note?

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
My salesman told me the boot side recess is incorporated so that a full set of golf bats will fit in the boot.

ps: I am not a golfer so will getanet!

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
twoaudis said:
My salesman told me the boot side recess is incorporated so that a full set of golf bats will fit in the boot.

...not of course that it increases the measurable (and therefore claimable) boot volume but forces you to spend an extra £100 making it at all useable - oh no no no...

·
Registered
192 Posts
</font>I have read on VW
site that holding the auto box can lead to premature failure of dual mass
flywheel. One failed within 36000 miles.

</font>If it happens
spare parts are difficult to source because VAG believed thecomponent
would out last the car

</font>All the current dmf are
allocated for cars being made/planned. VAG never thought spare parts would be
required

</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Order is now in, ended up going for virtually everything, including hill hold assist, luggage pack, storage pack and high beam assist, tow bar, sun roof, electric seats, comfort pack, xenon pack etc. etc.I am very good at convincing myself all of these things are crucial. However I did manage to negotiate a £4k discount on the whole deal so not all bad. Looking forward to the cars arrival sometime after March. Thanks for all the advice - sorry most of it was ignored.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Those must add up to a tidy sum, but you did get an excellent discount.

At the end of the day you order what you want and I trust that you will relly enjoy it when it arrives. If you keep it long enough you will reap the benefits from them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts