Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my finances are in order, I can start looking around properly and begin to narrow down my specifications. I suppose like most people when it comes to speccing a car, theres plenty of things that come under the "would like" catagory!, but probably less under the "must have"

I'm torn between getting the 177 SE FWD or the 177 SE quattro. I have quattro on my current car, and certainly find it more "solid" on the road, and in icy conditions in the winter, that touch safer (although I know its no guarantee) - less twitchy might be a better term. The downside of course is a change of tyres costs a lot!However the FWD is slightly cheaper to buy and run?

Options I'm looking at as must have include

18" 5 arm alloys (I really don't like the stds + they would be less fiddly to clean!)
heated seats
hill hold assist
comfort pack
sports seats (leather/alacantra or milano)
xenons

Maybes include

privacy glass
audi sound system
panoramic sunroof
metallic paint - can't decide if to spec this, or go with a solid paint and save £525!
phone prep low

Comments/recommendations would be appreciated especially if they have the option on their car!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why not go the S-Line route as you're paying out for Xenon's, Sport Seat and alloys?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at a grey interior. The only options for an interior for the S-line are black.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've ordered am se too, I went for the led light pack, dealer fit tints, and I think most important and bargain is the full colour option that coordinates all the black bits. It's only £100 too.

It's the mrs car but if it had been mine I'd of also gone for heated seats and cruise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cruise is in the 'Comfort Pack'. £100 on the full colour option is money well spent if you're dead against the S-Line.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Can I ask why Hill Hold Assist? - The car has an in-built anti-roll-back system for hill-starts which does most of the work.
Phone prep low - Hmmm.... All cars have Bluetooth, so not sure what that actually brings to the party either?

I could argue against sports seats (I decided against) but they are a personal seating choice - the standard seats are comfortable enough in my opinion - I haven't found myself lacking support - and it's not exactly a sports car where high G-levels are achieved!

Privacy Glass is visually appealing (I have that) and I'd have loved a Pan Roof - especially with the lighter interior you have chosen (another good move!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hill hold assist as that way i never have to worry about the handbrake! put the system on, and then just leave it..

Phone prep - as i mentioned its a maybe. This way i can have my phone charging and connected whilst having an ipod connected at the same time. Plus i get an enhanced ariel as this would be a benefit!

I have sports seats in my old car, and find that they feel more supportive generally, although i could maybe not bother with them..

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
I second Jules on the hill hold assist option - I can't see the point of it. You don't state if you want manual or S-Tronic, but if you are going the automatic route you definitely don't need it. With a manual 'box you still don't really need it as you have an auto-release handbrake anyway.

The interior storage pack is a good option as there ain't much storage in the car as standard. Likewise LED interior lighting as the standard interior lights are a bit basic.
Around my neck of the woods power-folding mirrors are an absolute must though - narrow roads, narrow parking bays in multi-storey car parks and an abundance of incompetently-driven school-run specials seemingly ****-bent on removing mirror heads at every pass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be going for a manual car. The anti-roll back system? Is this only when you have the handbrake on, or is this regardless?

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Read and compare these two pages...

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/electromechanical_parking_brake.browser.filter_i_e.html

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/audi_hold_assist.browser.html

...and you'll see that all you have to do when stopping on an uphill is flip the handbrake switch. It'll hold until you start to drive away then release itself automatically, making hill-starts a doddle. In all honesty it's hard to envisage a purpose for the hold assist option.

·
Registered
613 Posts
LED Interior lights is a good call - they are cheap too but give a nice feel.
I had a real struggle finding non-sports seats to try before I got my car, but that could be £400 back in your budget
- need to satisfy yourself really - what sort of mileage do you do, and over what roads... I've done 25k miles in 9 months on standard seats and had no problems...

·
Registered
107 Posts
25k in 9 months!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gromit said:
Read and compare these two pages...

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/electromechanical_parking_brake.browser.filter_i_e.html

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/audi_hold_assist.browser.html

...and you'll see that all you have to do when stopping on an uphill is flip the handbrake switch.  It'll hold until you start to drive away then release itself automatically, making hill-starts a doddle.  In all honesty it's hard to envisage a purpose for the hold assist option.
It really is one of those things that unless you've had it (my passat has it as standard) you question why bother. It's an oddly subtle thing which makes a tiny difference but you notice it went getting into a car without it. I ticked it on our Q3 order simply because I've become so used to it.

Good luck with your order!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Phill-uk said:
25k in 9 months!!!
What can I say, Drive to live, live to drive

I have a lower back complaint too, but not a moments problems with the standard seats.... hoping to drive down to central France and Southern Spain next year - really try some long-range drives!

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
As mine doesn't arrive until next week I can't really comment on the seats for long-term comfort, but having tried both standard and sports seats in the showroom I found the standard ones much more comfortable and still supportive enough. The sports seats can make getting in and out a bit trickier of you're over a certain age though. <sigh>

I also went for the grey interior and - looking at images found on t'net - I think it much improves the interior which can otherwise be a bit sombre with too much black.

I think I must be the only person on this forum who actually likes the standard wheels - in fact I prefer them to any of the optional styles.

Each to their own, peeps - each to their own.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had quite a few xtras on mine , the one I couldn't do without is the pan roof it's brilliant , it also tilts & slides open + gives so much light . I also like the interior lights which you have to have with the pan roof ,

·
Registered
613 Posts
Gromit - I've got the standard wheels - they look pretty good to me too - that's one thing I had no problem skipping past on the options list!
I must admit the tipping point on not getting the Pan roof for me was choosing the Pistachio interior - I was worried that it would cause too much glare on the inside.... I had a Renault before with the lighter dashboard/interior, and in bright sunshine it was just too bright.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had the hill hold on my tiguan and loved it. However I don't see the point in having it on the Q3, hence I never ordered it.

The reason being is that the stop start system is activated when the brakes are applied firmly when stationary. The hill hold assist will also activate at this point. Release the brake pressure to allow the hill hold assist to take over and the engine will start. In my opinion this defeats the object of having stop start

·
Registered
52 Posts
The stop-start function operates when conditions are optimum ie when it is warmed up and/or journeys are sufficient in duration to charge the battery. If you do a lot of short journeys you would notice the stop-start not operating. However I suspect as you say it's use will be limited but at under £100 I can live with that. The interesting thing will be whether it bloomin comes with a spare wheel and a DAB radio or neither!

·
Registered
518 Posts
The stop start remains operational if theSTronic gear lever is moved into the Park position, whereupon your foot can be removed from the brake pedal. All that is then needed to restart and move off if to depress the brake pedal, move the gear lever to Drive , and then drive off

1 - 20 of 23 Posts