Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the Christmas & New year break.
I am just sitting at home teaching my broken ankle range of movements part of physio :rolleyes: generally it's getting better.
Anyway anyone thought of having an oil extraction pump to do some intermediate oil changes DIY and saving some quids my recycling place accepts oil so disposal shouldn't be an issue I guess.
If it at all works it would be far quicker and less messy than going underneath removing trays etc.
Any thoughts ? I know it won't be a full oil pan flushing out but still for an intermediate oil change.

Regards,
KJ
Product Font Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I think every Audi dealer will use a similar oil extraction process so it can't be a bad thing.
There is a youtube video where they extract the oil via the dipstick tube then remove the sump plug to drain the rest.
The test was done on a Golf R and the results will vary on different car models but it gives some idea of what would be left in the sump.
A good recommendation was to run the car to get the oil hot then do the 'extraction' immediately. That way the 'gunge' will not have time to settle and be sucked out with the oil.
The final drain is about 10 minutes in - Will an Oil Extractor Get All The Oil? (MK7.5 Golf R 5000 Mile Service) - YouTube
I'd be tempted to go for a hand pump rather than electric and Screwfix have one which should do the job for under a tenner,

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good stuff let me try this no harm anyway car or Audi app still speaks of remaining 6700 miles or year 2023 although i got my oil change early at 4300miles after completing break-in.
It's just I don't feel comfortable what Audi app says and can't get underneath to remove shields.
But all in all I would spend maybe less than 200 quid and get oil and filter change including that motor.
Without resetting service interval.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Certainly a good idea! I just came back today from paying Audi £300 in the end for oil and filter change. Might be an option of interim oil changes between big services

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's what I was thinking and can frequently change oil and oil filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have purchased the exact same pump, but from Lidl. Cheaper and not branded.

The only thing is, it runs very slow off the battery with the engine off, so I found it easier to park a second car very close and power it from that battery with the engine running.

There was a little bit of oil left behind, so I’d happily use it for intermediate oil changes, but remove sump plug for main oil change.

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
I'd worry about the detritus left behind I think. Better to drain it properly and let all the crap out before refilling. OK for intermediate oil changes though.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Flushing oil!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts