Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything special about doing an oil change on a Q3?
Looks a tight fit round the oil filter, wonder how to get it out?
And suppose all that undertray must come off to get at the drain plug on the sump.?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Surely you are still under warranty. Why are you DIY'ing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Always good to do an oil change early in an engines life and not pay dealer rates for a simple task. Did mine last week on our 2wd Tdi, once you have removed the engine cover just undo one screw to get the small electrical connector out of the way of the oil filter cover. A 32mm socket will undo the filter and it just passes through the gap available.
And yes, you will need to remove the under tray but its pretty quick as the side screws are bayonet fits.I bought the filter and new sump plug with washer for less than £10 from my local Audi dealer and used Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did my first oil change at 10,000 miles (the dealer did the first one at 5,000 miles).It will take a little moretime to do an oil change on this car due to the numerous panel fasteners (3 Torx T25 in the front, 3 Torx T45 towards the rear section, and 8 additional fastenerswhich require a quarter to easily back out the fasteners). The plug for the oil pan also uses a Torx T45. The oil was very black so I think it is good to change out the oil every 5,000 miles if you want to hold onto the car for a long time and not 10,000 miles as Audi requires. The oil filter wrench that I used on my Jetta fits this car.
I wish Audi would have thought about the car owner when it comes to simple maintenance like the oil changes. They should follow BMW's methodology of having a single door toallow for easyaccess to the oil drain plug. That would have significantly cut down the time to do this job.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Dave9. Some people should have real jobs, not many out there, then things like this

would not take up their time.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Took mine into the dealer a few weeks ago as I had a call from them about a service as it had been one year since new, when I arrived they looked at the service miles in the cars IC and said it'll tell me to bring the car back in about 7K miles for the oil change and service, so that'll be 19K miles........and quite frankly with today's engine design and oil technology it'll be fine, Diesel engine oil goes black within the first thousand miles and looks awful but it still does its job.

I say all this not to start a debate, it has been done to death, but it's a matter of personal choice and if the owner is planning on keeping the car for a long time then it gives a feeling of security and satisfaction at caring for an investment in the future.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Exactly same scenario as you BB when I visited the dealer recently they said to return in 1200miles I have had a fairly busy year hence the relatively high mileage driving hear there and everywhere and enjoyed every minute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts