Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my first oil change at just over 9000 miles (2.0 TDI)
The service indicator said it was time to do it, so I did. Oil, filter and air filter.
On resetting the servicve indicator it shows another 9000 miles till the next.

But what are others getting? The variable service indicator seems to be different for different driving styles. What's yours say?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, firstly it depends on which service regime has been opted for on your car. Mine is the long service regime which is a maximum of two yearly intervals or I think 18k miles. My annual mileage is about 15k and I have a mixed 50 mile round trip commute combining motorway and A. & B roads. My computer is telling me my service will be due at around the 18k mark. So as a result a service every 18 k is a cost saving for me.

Yours sounds like it is on the 12 monthly service interval probably due to shorter mileage/journeys?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi just checked mine its 8000, even tells me how many days left !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've just had my first service, the car prompted me and my service book was marked for annual short interval service.The guy in the service department informed me that the salesman who sold me the car should have discussed my driving particulars and this determines on what service combination they select.My salesman definetly did not have the discussion with me, the vehicle leaves the factory with high grade synthetic oil and my vehicle should have been set for the long service.The short service is for dry arid countries that tend to be dusty, hence the requirement to change filters more frequently. It's my opinion that I've just needlesly parted with £150, the service guy informed me that if the service hadn't been carried out it would have invalidated my warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,Gazza my Q3 recently flagged up that I needed an oil change service. I booked it into my local dealership, however when I arrived the member of staff in the service department informed me that I didn't need a service according to their records and they just reset my DIS.
Really pleased with their honesty, they could of stung me for a service, as I would of not been the wiser. I think your service guy was telling you a few porkies over invalidating your warranty. More like he was after your hard earned cash!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
hi trt66

Little concerned why the car should flag up the need for an oil change prematurely. How many miles have you done?

An oil change might be needed earlier than expected if your type of driving warrants it, eg lots of stop starts, town driving, high speed etc.

Notwithstanding what your dealer did, if (and it's a big if!) anything untoward ever happened to your engine (either under warranty or later) and it came out that the car asked for an oil change (which would be on the fault log in the car) but that you (admittedly on dealer advice) didn't do it, then you could have a warranty issue. Yes, there would be recourse against the dealer, but it may well turn into an argument. From what you say, they simply checked their records (which presumably said oil change not needed till x miles, and your mileage was materially less than x), rather than check the car out.

Has the dealer given you anything (eg service worksheet or no cost invoice) to confirm they have reset a faulty oil change request light?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess my car must have been set for short service, even though synthetic oil etc.
So from new, it started with showing an oil change required at about 9000 miles.

I think that a user can only reset the service indicator for the short range, (which I did), although the oil used was fully synthetic (the expensive stuff, about £50 worth for a change).
How can the service indicator be reset for long life service?

·
Registered
518 Posts
mm5aho
You may well be right, but I think as a matter of course the system is set up for long life servicing, since (presumably!!!) the cars leave the factory with long life oil in them. However, I wouldn't take the chance.

Imagine you were a pilot with your own plane, and the oil change light came on. You checked with the mechanic who said the indicator was wrong, and no oil change was required. So next time you are up in the wild blue yonder, bumping around in the turbulence, not a care in the world....but for a nagging doubt in the back of your mind.

If it were my car, I'd want a bit more reassurance. I've just checked my car, which ahs done 5000 miles in about 8 months, and it is showing next oil change due in 13,700miles/498 days, and next inspection due in 14,100 miles/498 days, ie about 19000 miles/2 years from new, which is as expected.

Unless an owner specified to the dealer at new to set up the car for fixed maintenance, I believe all cars come with long life servicing. The whole point of this is that the car works out from the pattern of usage when the next service/oil change is due.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts