Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 964 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's all this malarkey over the pond.......

Audi found to have used different software in their cars during legislative testing for exhaust emissions.

This could be a serious crippling blow to Audi and their "Ultra" image.........ultra fiddling it seems instead!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
As you say I read something about this in a car mag it doesn't look good for them makes you think how this can be allowed to happen in a company this size,more to follow I should think.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently it could be a $37000 fine per vehicle......roughly $18 Billion since 2008 it could be.......ouch!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yorky said:
As you say I read something about this in a car mag it doesn't look good for them makes you think how this can be allowed to happen in a company this size,more to follow I should think.
Indeed, I worked in the industry and at the level that allowed me access and knowledge at the highest level during Reseach & Development of models and drivetrains and I know for absolute sure that in the company I worked for this kind of thing was absolutely a NO NO without question, it is just not worth the sh1t if things hit the fan!

My mate who was the head honcho in this country would have had anyone's balls off for even mentioning a suggestion of doing this kind of thing, I am so surprised that VW/Audi seems to have had this software in mainstream vehicle lines

·
Super Moderator
5,498 Posts
Ooooh, naughty-poos! Audi aren't half going to get smacked legs over this little lot.

A half-million vehicle recall and that's just for starters.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good for you Audi, does it really matter in the real world... Hope you get away with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not because of these goings on but I have gently removed* the "Ultra" badge below the"TFSI" badge on the boot lid.Looks so much better visually without this "washing powder" badge.
* Aided by Hair-drier blower, dental floss, and "Sticky Stuff Remover".

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
This is about the Volkswagen Jetta, Beetle, Golf and Passat and the Audi A3 produced between 2009 en 2015.
In all 482K cars and the fine could be up to 18 billion USD. They produce about 40% more CO2 because of this.

And, I was told, the other Premium Brands are being investigated to in this matter and BMW appears almost sure to have done the same.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
This sounds like it ain't going to end well for some of these major manufacturer's you would have thought they were mad to try it!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VW/Audi were totally crazy to try it, yes indeed.

I am amazed they thought they might get away with it as the Californian authorities are a particularly dodgy lot to try and fiddle, it's like trying to make a joke with a customs officer and you have a bag full of funny stuff, it ain't going to end good.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Don't you think it shows an element of arrogance? They must know that as you say someone is going to test and ups! don't really cover it does it.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arrogant? What a German multinational company, arrogant? Ha! What ever do you mean?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Perhaps the British government could have a look and see if we can stick a multi billion fine on them as well , just for old times sake. It went through my mind that they could also fiddle the figures on the cars with AdBlue systems by tickling the software.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well just thinking, wont they just do a mass recall and re-map the engines to make them more efficiant. You see all these tuning companies offering an "economic" remap all the time.

I guess the major downside with this will be if the bhp is lowered every owner will reject the car.

If Audi suddenly decided to remap our car from 177 to 140 just to get the emissions down I'd want some serious compensation.

I'd then buy a tuning box and map it to 200bhp!!

·
Super Moderator
5,498 Posts
What? VAG Group stooping so low as to deliberately install software that fiddles the figures? Oh no no no no - there must be some mistake.

I mean, that's just about as stupid as the notion that adding piss to exhaust emissions actually reduces pollution!

Oh, wait a minute

·
Registered
422 Posts
Gromit said:
What? VAG Group stooping so low as to deliberately install software that fiddles the figures? Oh no no no no - there must be some mistake.

I mean, that's just about as stupid as the notion that adding piss to exhaust emissions actually reduces pollution!

Oh, wait a minute

Seems strange though that we have reports that when customers complained to the garage about the quantity of AdBlue usage the garage did something to reduce it !!!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Very good point Noggin they seems to be some "fix" or am I being cynical?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
timm said:
A bit ironic when US marques are still producing gas guzzlers.
A bit ironic when US marques are still honestly producing gas guzzlers.

Fixed that for you

1 - 20 of 964 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.