Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 4 month old Q3 35tsi with a manual gearbox. Although the car is very impressive in most ways the gear change is very notchy. I have taken it to my local Audi dealer and they agree it is notchy but are not sure they can do anything about it. It is booked in to be looked at next week. Has anyone else had this problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
Hi John, welcome to the club!

Interesting, no-one has reported anything of that nature on this forum before. Slightly strange for an Audi main dealer to acknowledge the issue but not know what to do about it! I suspect they're reluctant to take action due to the potentially massive cost involved. I would also ask them as directly as possible how a 4-month old car came to be on sale so soon - was it rejected by the first owner, and if so for what reason - a notchy gearshift perhaps? Regardless, it's a fault that should be covered under warranty, end of story.

Reactions: Mr c

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 35 tfsi with manual transmission and can confirm that it is a smooth change between gears. Sounds like something wrong.

Reactions: John Selby

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John, welcome to the club!

Interesting, no-one has reported anything of that nature on this forum before. Slightly strange for an Audi main dealer to acknowledge the issue but not know what to do about it! I suspect they're reluctant to take action due to the potentially massive cost involved. I would also ask them as directly as possible how a 4-month old car came to be on sale so soon - was it rejected by the first owner, and if so for what reason - a notchy gearshift perhaps? Regardless, it's a fault that should be covered under warranty, end of story.
Thanks for your reply. I bought it from an Audi dealership and i am hoping that they will be able to adjust the linkage or something simple like that. It feels like a car from the seventies with a couple of dodgy synchro's! I will let you know how i get on. John.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi John, I also have the {2020} 35tsi in manual. As Pganders1 has said as well, mine is also nice and smooth. I have had manual boxes for my last 25 plus new cars and I would go so far as to say that this is one of the smoothest boxes I have ever had. Suggest you get it checked out.

Reactions: John Selby

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
I suggest you need to get a bit more assertive with the dealer who seems to be ducking the issue. It's a definite fault, it's covered under the warranty and they need to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 69 reg 35tfsi manual i found 1st to 2nd bit notchy but have had toyotas and peugeot 3008 with same problem
i found not rushing change not too bad and q3 when going into fifth some times needs a second go but no problem
But i am solving this problem have ordered Q5 Sportback S Line 45TFSI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a 69 reg 35tfsi manual i found 1st to 2nd bit notchy but have had toyotas and peugeot 3008 with same problem
i found not rushing change not too bad and q3 when going into fifth some times needs a second go but no problem
But i am solving this problem have ordered Q5 Sportback S Line 45TFSI
Thanks for the reply. I agree that 1st and 2nd are worse but i have a 1946 singer super ten and a 1966 MGB that change gear much smoother than this rather expensive Audi. I will let you know how i get on. Enjoy your Q5! John.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 2012 Q3 sline 2.0 petrol, 1st to 2nd it’s notchie and then 3rd into 4th it makes a slight clunking noise, also activating first doesn’t feel smooth. It’s been to my local AUDI dealer and they test drove it and said it wasn’t the smoothest but also nothing severe. If I wanted it investigated further then they will need to strip the gearbox which would be expensive and the 3rd party warranty and dragging their feet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a similar issue with my 2012 Q3 sline 2.0 petrol, 1st to 2nd it’s notchie and then 3rd into 4th it makes a slight clunking noise, also activating first doesn’t feel smooth. It’s been to my local AUDI dealer and they test drove it and said it wasn’t the smoothest but also nothing severe. If I wanted it investigated further then they will need to strip the gearbox which would be expensive and the 3rd party warranty and dragging their feet
Thanks for your reply. I will let you know how i get on. John.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just bought a 4 month old Q3 35tsi with a manual gearbox. Although the car is very impressive in most ways the gear change is very notchy. I have taken it to my local Audi dealer and they agree it is notchy but are not sure they can do anything about it. It is booked in to be looked at next week. Has anyone else had this problem.
An oil change is a good place to start (y)

Cheers,

Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts