Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Great forum.

My wife has a Q3 with sd card sat nav. We are based in brighton but I cannot get TMC to work, it has the line through it.
We previously had an A4 with runs-e and that was fine. My mercedes A250 works fine.

Am I missing something here or is it a problem.

Chris

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Chris - I seem to remember that TMC is an option that needs to be turned on in the MMI - I'd have to check my car in the morning - have you checked under the Radio settings?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jules,

I believe that dynamic navigation has to be on and TMC should show. If there is a line through it is not picking up a station carrying tmc info.

My car does and so did my A4 at the same address. The station that carries it is Classic FM so I tuned the station in but it still has a line through.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hmmm, OK, I will take a look at my settings in the morning!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, did you find an answer to tic not working, I have same, it works ok in parts of essex, but not in suffolk, my previous a4 worked fine although I did have issues when I first got it, audi Ipswich found a patch that resolved it, but I would have thought that that would have been incorporated in all versions by now it was 5 years ago

·
Registered
3 Posts
Should say that my spell checker changed tmc to tic, so apologies, also audi have been out and logged a fault report with audi central. Will reply again if I get any news.
It is obviously not a switch setting as it works in some areas, must be reception issues, but I can get classic fm clearly which apparently is a test to try

·
Registered
594 Posts
What is tmc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tmc, after a bit of pushing for action, my dealer checked out my issue with theTMC on Satnav not working, it meant that Satnav had no knowledge of traffic issues, and thus no opportunity to avoid them. End result was that a software upgrade has resolved the issue TMC is now on almost constantly

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Thats good to hear, one question how do you know TMC is actually working? Mine shows the TMC logo all the time as I turned it on when first getting the car, but I have NEVER seen any hold-ups indicated on it, how do they show....yellow lines, red lines? My MB showed little red crosses on the road when it was slow or blocked, but not seen anything like that yet on the Q3.......

·
Registered
613 Posts
TMC ("Dynamic Traffic Avoidance" on my HDD Sat Nav) - does pick up some things - and the road can have red X's or a coloured striping on the road for slow traffic - but in my experience, it's not a particularly reliable indicator - the A511 near me was closed due to scheduled works, so that was marked on it, but the whole section of road was marked closed, when only about half the section was restricted.
Another annoying thing is that it often still sends you into the slow traffic, even when it knows about it!
I still prefer to use the WAZE app on my iPhone - if I had my time again, I wouldn't have bothered with the Sat Nav, and gone for a Glass Roof instead!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
Thats good to hear, one question how do you know TMC is actually working? Mine shows the TMC logo all the time as I turned it on when first getting the car, but I have NEVER seen any hold-ups indicated on it, how do they show....yellow lines, red lines? My MB showed little red crosses on the road when it was slow or blocked, but not seen anything like that yet on the Q3.......
Same here BB. My Audi with the RNS-e sat nav used to give a verbal warning and tell you it was calculating a different route. Also the display would change to show the new route. I have never heard or seen any traffic avoidance with the Q3. Maybe its worth asking for a software update.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Jules said:
I still prefer to use the WAZE app on my iPhone - if I had my time again, I wouldn't have bothered with the Sat Nav, and gone for a Glass Roof instead!
Well at least you could stand up and look for a clear route then

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Mine must be working normally then.........

·
Registered
757 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
If TMC is showing, then that means it is working and will dynamically re-route you (and tell you through the radio sound that is is doing so) if necessary. You can also press the 'info' button, which will show you any hold-ups it has picked up from whatever commercial radio station. Those can be seen as text, or on a map view (from memory, by pressing the lower left button surrounding the main MMI control knob). Any that are very close to your route seem to be shown first.Mine (SD Card Nav) works in most areas, but refused to work when we were up in Scotland (Dumfries & Galloway) last October - but that's probably the SNP leader being antagonistic towards we English again!Anyway, as soon as we were back near Carlisle it worked seamlessly again.Hope that's of help.

Edited by: oakey46

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Oakey, that makes sense thanks..........must be around here we are all such good drivers we never make hold-ups
, I just wondered as my MB Comand Nav system seemed to pick-up the problems more often.
Your right though, when I have pressed info I get a list of "incidents" so I guess they are just not where we are or going.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are you sure there's a TMC signal where you are? On my SD satnav, the cross-out comes and goes depending on where I am.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes it is said it is supported in Greece, can you send an Control module Map from VCDS?

To make sure it is enabled

1 - 20 of 22 Posts