Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Currently have an 2016 A4 but have a Q3 Sportback on order.
Order has been in for over 5 weeks now but still haven’t been given a build date as yet.
I‘ve been tracking most days (yep, impatient I know) on the website but no updates and status still says welcome to Martorell.
Has anyone else faced similar issues?
Thanks for any advice etc.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I did the same as you. However, the new Q3 is built in Gyor, Hungary. It tracks your car but it actually leaves from Emden in North Germany. You will loose the car between Gyor and Emden and loose it again until it lands in the UK. From landing in the UK it can take up to 2 weeks before it gets to the dealer for a PDI. It will all happen eventually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Currently have an 2016 A4 but have a Q3 Sportback on order.
Order has been in for over 5 weeks now but still haven’t been given a build date as yet.
I‘ve been tracking most days (yep, impatient I know) on the website but no updates and status still says welcome to Martorell.
Has anyone else faced similar issues?
Thanks for any advice etc.
Hi, i’ve also ordered Q3 Sportback, approx 5 weeks ago, which website do you use to check order status. Do I need an order code or anything from dealer ?

regards

Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the same as you. However, the new Q3 is built in Gyor, Hungary. It tracks your car but it actually leaves from Emden in North Germany. You will loose the car between Gyor and Emden and loose it again until it lands in the UK. From landing in the UK it can take up to 2 weeks before it gets to the dealer for a PDI. It will all happen eventually.
Thanks for the info on the production location mwcltd. Just hope I get a build date soon. Even my dealer says it’s strange not to have one 5 weeks after order.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Mmmm it is the case that many supply chains are broken now, country lockdowns have forced some manufacturers of components out of business. Given that cars are actually assembled from mostly bought-in components and very little beyond the bodyshell and the cores of major assemblies such as the engine are manufactured in-house this gives the manufacturer a whole set major problems to overcome. Typically the commitment to assign a build slot is reached when the supply chain is complete as trying to build cars with components missing doesn't work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What John explained , while I was looking for new car few weeks back nearly all manufacturers were like if I tried building a car I should expect next year February delivery date.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There are two factors that control lead time. The first is availability of components as a lot are bought in. The second is backlog which, in this case, has been created by the Corona virus. My understanding is that once all the components are at the factory then they will allocate a build week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for your input. Unfortunately, I had to go factory built on this occasion. There was a stock car that I paid a deposit on but my dealer didn’t follow up on a transfer request and the other dealership promptly sold it to someone else. 🤬

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think sportback are quite rare in stock my original interest was to get Q3 sportback, but looking at the stock availability specs which I wanted and build date with current covid situation I became flexible and started looking for regular Q3 which luckily found 1 in stock and made the dealer reserved it then and there.
Before going into Audi showroom I tried finding a GLC and there are none available in UK in good spec.
Luckily I found this car loving it.
Petrol 230bhp, 0-60mph in 6.3 sec. Spare wheel as well. I like the light steering feel.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My understanding is that once all the components are at the factory then they will allocate a build week.
Not exactly - the automotive industry has really got the 'zero inventory' thing nailed to the floor using an advanced manufacturing technique called line-sequencing.

So the suppliers that make up the supply chain are given set times to arrive at the assembly plant so that the required items arrive within minutes of actually being required on the production line. Such an approach enables the vehicle assembly operation to push the complexity of the myriad of vehicle options available onto the suppliers so they deliver the components for the spec of the vehicle being built straight to the line-side - never gets putaway in a warehouse - zero inventory.

What happens if the required components don't arrive line-side at the designated time? Massive penalty for the OEM supplier - vehicle becomes a 'mis-build', they move heaven and earth to avoid that. One of the common approaches is have their own facilities either on the assembly site or very close by.

Was working with a OEM manufacturer that makes wiring looms recently - they make the looms to match the exact spec of the car that the customer has ordered. If the customer didn't tick the heated steering wheel option for example then that bit of the harness isn't added. Penny pinching or what?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats great, thanks. I’m on now. Ordered 12/8/20 and showing joined production line, but signed in on Monday and it showed a build date of 23/11/20, but that has gone again. ? So not sure.
Mine has also moved now to the same status as yours. I phoned my dealer who confirmed a build date of week 42 which is second week of October. I know these are subject to change, both forward and backward but nice to see some progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats great, thanks. I’m on now. Ordered 12/8/20 and showing joined production line, but signed in on Monday and it showed a build date of 23/11/20, but that has gone again. ? So not sure.
Hi Gary, just thought I’d update you as you ordered at a similar time to me. With all the apps and website currently down, I went on Twitter to Audi Uk who’ve just given me a response. I had a build week of 42 which was Monday just gone. Apparently, my status is now showing as left the factory and on way to exit port. Could well be sat at exit port for a week or 2 but nice to see some serious progress. Fingers crossed yours is moving too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts