Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have this week picked up my new F3 RSQ3 (turbo blue launch spec estate) and from my few days with the car I have a few questions, most of them are aiming at several solutions to the same problem really. I haven't seen anything about this when searching but I apologise if this is covered elsewhere.

I want to drive around with subdued (fake) engine noise whilst in dynamic with the normal 2 dial setup in the VC. Given there is no "individual" on drive select, just the 2 RS modes this leads to my thoughts/questions as to how to solve this.

1. I aren't keen on the fake sound in the cabin when in dynamic mode. I presume there is a soundaktor under the front bulkhead somewhere I can unplug? Then I'd be happy to drive about in dynamic/auto.

2. Instead of the above, I could set one of the RS modes to "subdued" engine noise and whatever else I want. This is fine but I cannot seem to then have the VC set with the standard 2 dial setup and I am also stuck with the G force meters which are of no interest to me. I can make the car go into the 2 dial setup in the MMI settings but the moment I go out of RS mode and back in it goes to the RS VC instead. Is there something I am missing, or something I aren't aware of that allows the default display for RS modes to be altered? It seems I can do what I want when in Auto, Efficiency, Dynamic etc. but RS mode they force the performance view onto you.

3. I have a Carista, but as far as I am aware there are no tweaks for the F3 yet and therefore I presume there's nothing I can do as far as the fake/amplified sound is concerned in this respect?

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum too!

Thanks in advance, Tom

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Welcome to the Club Tom.

Yup, been there. The F3 doesn't have a Soundaktor but rather, allegedly, produces a fake exhaust sound through the interior audio system. My F3 RS Standard model has the non-sport exhaust system so chrome tail pipe trims, even so it still has twin valves - one for each tail pipe. I say 'allegedly' because the press reviews of the launch cars like yours mention it and yet I'm absolutely certain that the sound isn't fake/in the hi fi on mine.

The lack of control of the exhaust valves outside of RS1/RS2 (i.e. you get to set them to 'Pronounced' in Drive Select) is, in my view, an oversight but may have been done to get around noise regulations.

There is a solution but it's going to cost you money! A Cete Active (Exhaust) Valve Controller or AVC for short.
Cete AVC Link to Cete's web site. They were on offer over Christmas for €388 so if you are interested I'd send them a message and see if they will do you a deal (they are lovely people). The have a set of English installation and usage instructions too - I translated them over the Christmas break.

It's turned on by pressing the ESP button quickly twice, it can be completely disabled using the Stop/Start button to become electrically 'invisible' for service visits.

The factory RS1/RS2 & Dynamic modes are unchanged
The Efficiency/Comfort/Auto modes can have the valves fully open all the time or alternatively permanently shut, only opening above 4,000 RPM so the engine can breathe effectively.

Best mod you can do to an F3 RS? Yes, without a doubt...the exhaust tone has a better tone when the AVC has opened the valves and to my mind I really like the none 'RS' VC display options too.

The mod is done in the driver's footwell and is just a new bit of wiring loom and a matchbox sized module. An Inde (Vastec in Warwick) installed mine for £108.

An OBD11 (alternative to Carista) does have a bunch of things you can change on an F3 RSQ3, but nothing to do with the Exhaust system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I had seen the posts about the exhaust control box, this is something I am considering but doesn't (I don't think) get around the conundrum I have now of not liking either the sound system noise (which now you say it makes sense as it doesn't sound like it's coming from the front like on soundaktor cars I gave had in the past) nor the RS performance VC (for everyday driving). And yes as per yours it is a normal non sport exhaust. As it's a launch one it does have a few things not configurable on base spec (matrix) and some unique 21" wheels.

From my messing about with the car over the last few days I think having the car in RS mode or dynamic with sport gearbox sound like the valves are open, and the "engine sound" setting in the RS modes is the playback through the sound system. If you are in RS with subdued engine there is still a load of noise coming from the back. If you switch it to auto or pronounced it comes from everywhere which wouldn't be the case if it was just exhaust IMO.

At the moment my choices seem to be to drive in Dynamic (with gearbox in sport to open the valves as per RS as I understand it) to get the dash I want and proper noise mixed in with the fakery or in an RS mode which lets me do what I like other than have the dash I want and I have to look at G meters etc!

First upgrade I think will be the Racingline DSG paddles, if they are compatible (they can be found browsing F3 Q3 but then they aren't listed as compatible):

I had a B9 S5 a couple of years ago and these came out about 6 months before it went back (as it was on CH) so couldn't justify it, but as I'll be keeping this a while I think it will be a good upgrade if it fits.

Another question actually....

Is there a simple way to get rid of the lighting behind the quattro badge on the dash? I presume it's a case of popping the dash panel off and unplugging it? I like the lighting just not behind the quattro badge I think it looks a bit tacky. Also has anyone upgraded the aforementioned dash panel to carbon and therefore knows the part number? I doubt I'll do mine as the panel (whatever it is meant to be) looks better in the flesh than in pics.

And I should have said this before, all in all I am very happy with the car so far, and if I have to put up with the fake noise I will I just prefer it not to be there. I am coming from a Leon Cupra so this doesn't feel as agile but I also haven't had chance with it either being icy or very wet to really give the RSQ3 a fair go at impressing me round corners! I was concerned about the lag on the gearbox from reviews but it would seem it's just similar to the Leon which I'd expected given the DQ380 is similar to the DQ500 AFAIK where it can be caught out when banging down gears in rapid succession.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thanks Tom. Yeah had a fully loaded (every option Audi UK press car) B9 450PS RS4 myself - and hated after 6 months, very good but no fun.

Mine starts now (as does yours in Drive Select Auto mode), the difference for me is that the valves are open - if I get out of the car and shut the door I definitely have the authentic 5 pot sound on the outside. Perfect. Get yourself a Cete AVC and you'll be happy with the end result - there is no fake hifi malarkey here.

Paddles - no, don't do that one - it's an auto and a very good one at that.

If your RS has very few miles on it then the transmission plays 'lazy' by design (well documented on TT-RS forums) once you get past 1000 miles it wakes up and comes to the party with rather more passion, I've had mine since the 23rd of October and have now done about 1800 miles and have a very different car. If it's like the two previous RSQ3s I've owned it will be getting on for 20,000 miles before full engine performance is available. I believe (but have never had it confirmed officially) that the engine ECU curtails maximum performance until the engine is fully bedded in for mechanical longevity. You'll get in the car one day and discover it has a new, rev happy personality - let's call it 'mental'.

When I first had mine I assumed that the transmission engineers had thought "we have maximum torque available from 1850rpm with a flat line of torque to north of 6k rpm, no need to downshift we have all the grunt we need". As the miles increase you'll discover that it will bang down one or two ratios instantly all by itself for absolutely brutal acceleration - it's the engine working with the transmission in self-preservation mode when it's new. I do have a technical briefing doc on the engine (which I can share) and it would be an expensive beast to repair - not much would have to go wrong before all of it would have to be replaced - rumoured to be £18k a pop. I've been gentle but have still had some 'BIG' surprises when I've overtaken something.

Lighting - I have mine set to dark blue and don't notice the dash 'Quattro' at all, looks great on the doors though.

Handling - compared with your Leon Cupra the RSQ3 is going to feel less capable. Many of us have come from the previous generation 8U Q3 family, the F3's handling capability is in another league however you can't cheat the physics. As with other performance SUVs with a higher-centre-of-gravity the safest approach is to hammer down the straights and shed speed (great brakes) for the corners and then power out of the bend for maximum pace.

Enjoy!

Reactions: TomScrut

·
Registered
18 Posts
The factory RS1/RS2 & Dynamic modes are unchanged
The Efficiency/Comfort/Auto modes can have the valves fully open all the time or alternatively permanently shut, only opening above 4,000 RPM so the engine can breathe effectively.
Hi John,

Finally got mine delivered last week, shortly will be fitting it as soon as possible.
On the above, I thought valves would be set to stay fully open in RS1/2 as well as dynamic. But reading settings for these remain unchanged, does this mean only fully open beyond 3.5k-4K rpm?
I am also aware you can reverse valves so that these can also be open all the time also in comfort mode, so a bit confused now...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yeah, the documentation says that the Cete software doesn't overwrite the Dynamic/RS1/RS2 modes - it leaves those alone.

The valve control is present for Efficiency/Comfort/Auto - Always Open or Reversed so always shut unless above 4k RPM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I’m still abroad so not sure if they send user instructions and/or installation guide along with the avc module. Can’t wait to get it fitted, but I’m guessing garages are still closed until further notice. Here in Spain business as usual...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Documentation is downloaded from Cete's web site. Garages, Independents anyway, are open - 'Essential service'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks John. Only found the installation guide but in German. I will reach out to them tomorrow and see what they say

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Have PM'd DGG you with a couple of useful docs.

·
Registered
2020 AUDI RSQ3 Sportback DQ500
6 Posts
I want to drive around with subdued (fake) engine noise whilst in dynamic with the normal 2 dial setup in the VC. Given there is no "individual" on drive select, just the 2 RS modes this leads to my thoughts/questions as to how to solve this.
I believe there is a soundaktor installed somewhere, because I turned it off via VCDS first day when I picked up mine. To be honest, I didn't try to find where soundaktor is but I can see this function via VCDS, that means there really is a soundaktor available.

Mine is set at 0% but you can set it at 50% or 70% if you like. I prefer ture natural engine sound so I turned off completely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, having had the car a bit longer now I am in no doubt there is some sort of fakery going on sound wise whether it be soundaktor or through the stereo.

If VCDS can turn it off that's great and exactly what I was looking for, I know somebody with one.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The Soundaktor is shown in OBD11 too, for a long while I wasn't sure. Now I have the Cete AVC installed I can hear a tone change when switching to DS Dynamic. TomScrut - get yourself an OBD11: OBDeleven

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Soundaktor is shown in OBD11 too, for a long while I wasn't sure. Now I have the Cete AVC installed I can hear a tone change when switching to DS Dynamic. TomScrut - get yourself an OBD11: OBDeleven
Ah good it's on there is it? I have a Carista but there's no F3 customisations from what I can see.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yes - screen shot below - 10 credits. You get a free credit every day you open the App:

You can decrease the function in 10% steps to zero.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts