Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Managed to snag a Dec'19 ex-demo in blue with <1.5k miles from the Aberdeen dealership, it's a model release example with quite a few extras, 21" Trigons, matrix LEDs, B&O, tow hook prep (who the heck uses a RS for towing a sheep box !!). Collecting it on Sun. Doesn't appear to be many demos around so perhaps I was lucky, I specifically avoided a new car due to the depreciation. The current BE was a superb car, however always promised myself a RS as at my age it's an easy car to get in and out of, at least that's what I told my better half.
Old guys rule !

Mike

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Congrats Mike - Enjoy!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats Mike - Enjoy!
Thanks I am looking forward to bring it back from ABD.
In time I'll try and post a few pics. Now trying to find some winter alloys for it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It might be like the old (regular) one, no tow prep. no additional engine cooling.
Fairly sure UK spec cars had both these features as part of the standard spec

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be like the old (regular) one, no tow prep. no additional engine cooling.
I have checked this particular car, it is a full UK spec car, incl the towing hook prep which in my case not needed.

Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phew talk about being blinded by the light. I've swung off the blue ex demo intro car in Aberdeen and onto a new Sports Edition at Crewe for a very small increase in cost. It pays to search around before you hand over your hard earned tax paid cash. Lots of spec on the intro car that I didn't want which punted the price up, instead I'm getting a car which is much, much closer to my requirements. I don't often go for new, however the deal on the SE cannot be ignored. Collecting it on Wed 11th Mar.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Nice one Mike - the SE gets you a Pano roof I think which those strangely spec'd launch cars don't have?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice one Mike - the SE gets you a Pano roof I think which those strangely spec'd launch cars don't have?
That is correct, the Pano roof is included in the SE spec. I am ambivalent about them, I suppose up here I will get a nice view of the midges and rain. In the final analysis I was really hankering after another "Black" edition car, it's a lack of understanding on behalf of the factory marketing that you've to go up to SE level to achieve this, or is it part of the grand plan ?

Mike

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
With an all-black interior a pano roof even if rarely opened does reduce the sensation of driving a tomb on wheels....I prefer the external black-pack look too. Gloss black looks good whereas the silver looks like a feeble attempt at fake aluminium.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:D Just arrived home with a new RS Q3 Sport Edition in Dayton silver metallic which I acquired from Crewe Audi, they did a spectacular deal, it made the 900 mile return trip a worthwhile exercise. Car is equipped with Comfort and Sound pack, Sports Exhaust, big Red Sports calipers and all the SE gear. The weather north was heavy snow from Perth to Ullapool, so drove very gingerly although there were a few parts of the road I did manage to get a few revs going, she flies and roars and guzzles gas. Much fun to be had here methinks.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Congratulations Mike - enjoy RS ownership, the gas guzzling characteristics are off-set by the everyday grins (they never fade either).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi John

Thanks for your congrats; I'm like a dog with two tails.
Currently it looks like a saltberg sat in the drive after the long drive, so now begins the big clean if the temp rises a bit.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
The weather north was heavy snow from Perth to Ullapool, so drove very gingerly although there were a few parts of the road I did manage to get a few revs going, she flies and roars and guzzles gas. Much fun to be had here methinks.
Nice to live on/near the NC500. Shame you didn't spec a set of winter boots for the trip home.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice to live on/near the NC500. Shame you didn't spec a set of winter boots for the trip home.
Hi Nick, I am guessing you do not live on or near the NC500. To the vast majority of us who do it is not a welcome thing. The scenery is the best, however the roads are not and cannot cope with the convoys of camper vans, all of which do not understand how to drive on single track roads. In the Summer we have go-faster kids who hire super cars and try and tear around route trying to achieve personal bests. Others charge from one photo opportunity to the next. Although I am 70 I do drive like a maiden aunt and enjoy making progress, hence the RS but there is a place to red line a snorty beast and its not on the NC500. Having said that we welcome respectful drivers who take their time to stop and admire the fabulous scenery and try our excellent local sea food and game.
The drive up the A9 was pretty normal for this time of year and I agree a set of winters would have made it a bit more easy, however the whole journey was a nose to tail 30mph from about Dunkeld due to the packed snow and blizzard conditions. The only problem I encountered was the 'driver' in front in a lhd was not clever, losing the back end several times and fish tailing across into the other lane. I gave him 100m so I could watch the show in safety.
On my previous Audi I drove on Vredestein Extremes from Nov to Apr, but these wheels and tyres will not fit the RS - see For Sale where I have placed them for disposal. Another set of rims suitable for the winter tyres for the RS will cost north of £4.5k + tyres, so I'll just wait a little longer until the weather improves.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
Well said! (y)

Sooner than lash out on that sort of dosh, try a set of all-seasons tyres - pretty much as good these days as full winters, a huge amount cheaper and minus the nuisance of changing them twice a year. I'm pretty sure they're now available in sizes that fit the RSQ3.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Parts list for the 'old' RS indicates 18" and 19" rims are an option for winter tyres -
Can't find the later parts info on line but wonder if the same applies to the new model as this should significantly increase the chances of finding a used set of rims and more widely available winter tyres.
If you have not already checked this option out, worth contacting our ever helpful service parts contact, tom fox at Crewe Audi for rim size / offset options and new parts prices

Cheers Spike

1 - 20 of 51 Posts