Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, thought it was time to join you. I took delivery of a Monsoon Grey SE on the 12th September from Coventry Audi. Salesman Mark was excellent, let the car sell its self. Couldn't stand their business managers, made your flesh creep.
The Q3 is replacing a five year old 3 series touring, couldn't face another winter of rear wheel drive. Very similar engine but the Q3 feels more responsive and involving. Only complait is a sticker on either side of the passenger sun visor about child seat fixings.
Must go and do other tasks
Regards
Heritage

Spec. SE TDI 177 Quattro Monsoon Grey/Grey leather interior with walnut trim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->

Never had time to complete the vehicle spec. Got slightly
carried away but if you like grey looks very nice indeed, especially the walnut trim-don't like alloy trim at all. Got about 8% discount
but trade in was very poor compared with buying another BMW.

Love the high driving position, makes getting in and out far easier for two
oldies. Finding advanced key very strange but gradually getting used to it.
Folding mirrors are poor compared to BMW although I'm happy to fold just when
required. Don't think it's good for mirrors to be folded automatically in extreme
winter conditions.

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

SE TDI 177 Quattro stronic Monsoon Grey, full paint/Grey leather interior with walnut trim, Trias wheels, cruise, Drive select, Xenon lights, front parking sensors, folding mirrors and advanced key.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Heritage said:
<!--if gte mso 9>
<!-->

Love the high driving position, makes getting in and out far easier for two
oldies. .......
Folding mirrors .......... I'm happy to fold just when
required. Don't think it's good for mirrors to be folded automatically in extreme
winter conditions.
My thoughts entirely (welcome to the forum, by the way) on both counts, and backed up by my tame mechanic who spends a lot of profitable time in the winter replacing stripped gears and blown motors from auto-folding mirrors that freeze in place.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Welcome!

Totally agree with the Walnut trim - gives more of a warm look to the interior...

Finally, some agreement that the world doesn't end because the mirrors don't fold when you leave the car.... :-D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my first post I mentioned stickers on either side of the passenger's sun visor. Having chosen a rather nice interior the one shown above rather spoils the appearance. Does any one else have this sticker in place and does it peel off without damage? The salesman tells me that I'm the only person to mention it.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I think we've all got 'em, and a bloody nuisance they are too! OK, they are meant to be there, but FFS they ruin the look of the vehicle's interior and I didn't think Q3 owners would be stupid enough to need them permanently staring you in the face.

Personally I haven't had the bottle to try adhesive removing solvents for fear of damaging the surface - anyone else here braver than me?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Knowing how car makes love symmetry, could you swap the drivers and passengers side sun visors round? At least then it would facing the roof when up?? Or am i talking pure rubbish, feel free to tell me

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Er... if you did that, the vanity mirrors would only be usable if you were sitting on the bonnet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not being a high milage or fast driver now I'm retired, a few observations after 450 miles.
Car is very responsive although the performand/econamy differences between settings on the drive select escapes me. Most of my driving is light traffic urban and am getting about 35 mpg. My Three series with similar engine was slightly less. Having got folding mirrors I cannot get the passenger mirror to dip towards the kerb when in reverse. Probably I don't understand the manual.
I do need a visit to Audi Coventry as the car has an annoying vibration buzz at the right hand end/top of the fascia in certain road conditions, worse when the engine is cold. The lightest of laying on of hands stops it. I really don't want the fascia pulling to bits but it needs stopping as I don't always want to turn the wireless up any louder.
Having had a little moan the car certainly puts a smile on my face.

SE TDI 177 Quattro stronic Monsoon Grey, full paint/Grey leather
interior with walnut trim, folding passenger seat, Trias wheels, cruise, Drive select, Xenon
lights, front parking sensors, folding mirrors and advanced key.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello and welcome Heritage.

Urban driving in Coventry is really poor for mpg, the A45 or Holyhead road are always the most inefficient parts of my journey, and unfortunately being in Allesley all my driving stars and ends there!!

Great spec and colour.

Cremo

·
Registered
302 Posts
Heritage said:
Not being a high milage or fast driver now I'm retired, a few observations after 450 miles.
Car is very responsive although the performand/econamy differences between settings on the drive select escapes me. Most of my driving is light traffic urban and am getting about 35 mpg. My Three series with similar engine was slightly less. Having got folding mirrors I cannot get the passenger mirror to dip towards the kerb when in reverse. Probably I don't understand the manual.
I do need a visit to Audi Coventry as the car has an annoying vibration buzz at the right hand end/top of the fascia in certain road conditions, worse when the engine is cold. The lightest of laying on of hands stops it. I really don't want the fascia pulling to bits but it needs stopping as I don't always want to turn the wireless up any louder.
Having had a little moan the car certainly puts a smile on my face.

SE TDI 177 Quattro stronic Monsoon Grey, full paint/Grey leather
interior with walnut trim, folding passenger seat, Trias wheels, cruise, Drive select, Xenon
Hi - I have the identical car. Fortunately we haven't any noises - yet ! We did try the efficiency setting to start with and noticed the revs are quite a bit lower than when using auto and the economy is higher in efficiency particularly when coasting (not using efficiency again 'til we have run the car in). We haven't tried comfort yet and only used dynamic as used in auto. On country roads we have been getting near 50mpg although we've only done about 200 miles so far. No faster runs yet due to lack of dual carriageways and no chance yet to do a longer trip

Edited by: Bambi

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luckily I'm in Warwickshire, north of Coventry, and usual run is Bedworth/RICOH and round about. Apart from the odd times when I get mixed up with the school run, traffic is usually light.
Intended to have the petrol version but the torque of the TDI won hands down. Little worried about the low mileage and the DP filter but the occasional blast on the M6 always worked with the BMW so I don't think the Q3 will be any different. Had a little blast down the Daw Mill hill, just past Fillongley, yesterday, most enjoyable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<!--if gte mso 9>
<!-->

Three months since I took delivery so a few comments, some
not very positive I'm afraid.

I'm enjoying the car
especially the high seated driving position, so easy to get in/out after the
BMW. Looks good, even dirty and drives well.

I have finally managed to set the passenger wing mirror to dip on reversing,
only took three months. Very poor design, lets the car down.

I wish I understood the electronics, feel I've lost the battle, maybe ok for
those that are good with setting up menus but not for some of us older drivers
who just want to get in and drive.

Slowly getting used to the advanced key, but I did want the starter button. Not
very well positioned compared to 3 series.

Having speced the xenon light pack I'm slightly disappointed with the cabin,
should there be LEDs around the speakers or is this another MMI tweak.

Another question, when using the gear box paddles how do you get back to the
auto setting?

I have purchased an Ipod touch with lightening connection, should I be able to
select and shuffle tracks from the facia?

<!--if gte mso 9>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

<!-->SE TDI 177 Quattro stronic Monsoon Grey, full paint/Grey leather

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Heritage to get it to go back to auto just hold the right hand paddle for a couple of seconds

·
Registered
29 Posts
The xenon plus headlights and LED interior lighting package are separate items, to my knowledge they are not combined. The LED interior lighting package can be optioned separately, otherwise it comes with the BOSE audio or sunroof options. I was under the impression that regardless of what interior lighting you have, the only way to get the front speakers surrounds to light up is with the BOSE audio option.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have purchased an Ipod touch with lightening connection, should I be able to
select and shuffle tracks from the facia?

<!--if gte mso 9>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

<!-->
[/QUOTE]

I had murders with the shuffle selection on the I-pod at first - this thread may help but you still might have to fiddle a bit, the manual isn't brilliant at describing it.

http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/shuffling-ipod-music_topic1008.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all picked up my Q3 ex demo model 2 weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. Its just so good to drive and with my leather/alcantara heated sport seats really comfortable too. Got it in metallic monsoon grey and its a real head-turner as there are so few Q3's on the road. Am considering having a towbar fitted so I can get a bike carrier any thoughts from anyone on whether to go to an audi dealer or just get my local garage to fit one? Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Q3mp said:
Hi Heritage to get it to go back to auto just hold the right hand paddle for a couple of seconds
Another good tip
The only way I had worked out to do it was to knock the selector to the left then back into auto. This solution is much easier

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi. This sticker willbe on my new Q3when it arrives, I haveaspray on substance that removes residue left by labels, it is harmless to surfacesbut is more of a trade thing, but I am sure you can purchase it some ware online..... To look at this label is a bit like having to watch adverts.

Regards. john h

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Maplin sell an aerosol spray simply called Sticky Stuff Remover which we find invaluable - it does exactly what it says on the tin and has never harmed any surfaces we've used it on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts