Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

New Q3 Owner

6K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  DavidS 
#1 ·
Hi,
Hopefully should be picking up my new Q3 later this week.
It's a 45TFSI Edition 1, Navarra Blue with Comfort & Sound and Dynamic packs, space saver spare wheel and matrix
Car was a pre-reg in December and sitting with 9 miles on the clock.
Previously had an 8V S3 saloon in 2016, also in navarra, which was a great car but I've had 3 BMW's since then (serial car changer :) ). Looking forward to getting back into an Audi

#2 ·
Hi, welcome to the club!

Sounds like a lovely car, ideal engine spec and great colour too. I hope the snow's gone before you pick it up! Post some pics when the climate improves a bit, OK?

Reactions: AudiBill
#4 ·
Hi Bill, welcome to the site. Your Q3 configuration is almost identical to mine. The first problem you will have is setting up the MMI, there are so many options and the second problem you will have is not driving it. I found that at about 1000 miles the engine really opened up, you will be surprised how quick it is. If you need any advise then please yell.

#6 ·
Thanks for the offer - I'm a total technophobe so the MMI set up may be a challenge :geek:.
It might be quite a while before it reaches 1000 miles if this lockdown continues.
I'm looking for balance between performance and cost to run and I'm sure the Q3 will tick those boxes.
I'm trading in a X3 M40i which is a flying machine but I've done under 3k miles in the year that I've owned it and almost all of these are around the town where I'm getting 16 mpg :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Just a couple of observations. During the 1000 mile running in period your fuel economy will be all over the place but then you will notice that it gets progressively better and better. Drive Select allows you to set up the characteristics of the Q3 to meet your requirements. This is a personal thing and you will just have to play until you get a setting you like. I set mine to Dynamic then use the paddles if I want to go manual.

#11 ·
That looks a real treat, we nearly ordered the Navarro blue ourselves after seeing one online in a showroom but when we went to order the only car the had in that colour was outside in the car park it was a dull day and it didn‘t really look nothing like that, It seemed to look darker.
We settled for the Daytona grey in the end, had there been a blue one in the showroom I think I would have ordered that colour 😂 Must admit was a bit disappointed with Audi’s current colour choice available.
Considered the red but as said plumbed for the grey,our current Q2 at The minute is Quatum grey and anthracite which I love so not a massive colour change, hope I don‘t live regret it.

#23 ·
Daytona is a great colour, it really sparkles in the sunlight. When I went to order my only previous Audi, an S3 saloon, in 2016 it was Daytona I chose but after having several issues with a * dealer I found a Navarra at another dealer that was a cancelled order so went with that instead. If I was ordering new again it would be a toss up between Daytona and Navarra.

#13 ·
Mr c, the colour is just spot on, very classy. Occasionally to get an accurate idea of consumption I fill tank to tank and do the arithmetic, but on the other hand fuel consumption is not a priority for me rather idle interest, the fuel consumption read out on the dash is, mm, not all it should be perhaps. Do Enjoy.

Mike

#14 ·
Lovely colour (which wasn’t available when I purchased mine.) I started out looking for a 35TFSi Edition 1 but ended up with a Daytona Grey 40TFSi Quattro Edition 1 with C&S pack and spare wheel not least because the dealer had it in stock and the demo was a 40TFSi also. I think I was about a mile into my test drive when I started thinking about how to get the best deal. Whilst we don’t have a lot of snow where I live we are quite exposed so when we get snow we usually get a fair bit.
As a neighbour towed my previous RWD Merc onto the main road so that we could go off on holiday 2 years ago this month my wife “ told” me our next car would be a 4x4!
Have never regretted my decision for a minute. I had rare reason to use it earlier today (for essential reasons of course) but actually took the long way home just to enjoy the car. Have had 3 BMWs, 3 M-Bs and a Jaguar XF all from new over the last 12 years or so but I think the Q3 is quite possibly the best all rounder of them all.

ps. My wife wasn’t with me when I purchased the car but she said afterwards if I’d come home with one in Turbo Blue I’d have been sent straight back to the dealer to change it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣. One of those love it or hate it colours, I quite like it.

#17 ·
Lovely colour (which wasn’t available when I purchased mine.) I started out looking for a 35TFSi Edition 1 but ended up with a Daytona Grey 40TFSi Quattro Edition 1 with C&S pack and spare wheel not least because the dealer had it in stock and the demo was a 40TFSi also. I think I was about a mile into my test drive when I started thinking about how to get the best deal. Whilst we don’t have a lot of snow where I live we are quite exposed so when we get snow we usually get a fair bit.
As a neighbour towed my previous RWD Merc onto the main road so that we could go off on holiday 2 years ago this month my wife “ told” me our next car would be a 4x4!
Have never regretted my decision for a minute. I had rare reason to use it earlier today (for essential reasons of course) but actually took the long way home just to enjoy the car. Have had 3 BMWs, 3 M-Bs and a Jaguar XF all from new over the last 12 years or so but I think the Q3 is quite possibly the best all rounder of them all.

ps. My wife wasn’t with me when I purchased the car but she said afterwards if I’d come home with one in Turbo Blue I’d have been sent straight back to the dealer to change it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣. One of those love it or hate it colours, I quite like it.

Even with 4WD, the wide summer tyres normally fitted to our cars don't always provide the grip we expect.

4WD VS Winter Tyres - Do you need winter tyres if you have 4WD? - YouTube

Cheers Spike

#18 ·
I recall many years ago that there was a disproportionate rate of 4wd crashes in winter as owners thought they were invincible.
Unless you are a rally ace, ice is ice = no grip.

#19 ·
This last week I've never been more grateful for the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons tyres I've banged on about for the last couple of years. Here in the bottom righthand corner of Boris Kingdom Storm Darcy has been playing merry he11 with the roads and unfortunately I have to make a 60-mile round trip daily this week, ferrying Mrs G to and from hospital. Yesterday we had the lot, driving snow, packed snow, drifts and black ice, at various points, and apart from the odd moment of unusual interest on black ice the car simply stayed planted, went where it was pointed and gripped surprisingly well in all conditions.

With the advent of good all-seasons tyres from Goodyear, Michelin and others it's now hard to argue for anything else for UK use. They don't even carry that much pf a price premium now.

Reactions: Mr c
#21 ·
Good job you had the four wheel drive and them tyres with such important journeys to make, touching on this subject and speaking as someone who has gone through radiation treatment last year a little tip I can give you and your good lady is stay positive and don’t dwell on it, easy to say but harder to do, the minute you start thinking the worse you both become more stressed and she will make herself ill. Good luck with the rest of her treatment 👍

#20 ·
Completely agree. I’ve made it practice in recent years to replace the original tyres with all seasons when they’ve been due for replacement. Right now though there aren’t that many 255/40R20 all seasons options available and of course with such low mileage the current Hankooks have plenty of life left in them.

Taking of S East England I remember back in January 87 we lived between Maidstone and Chatham and suffered 3 feet of snow. Had never seen anything like it before nor since. We had icicles from our first floor gutters stretching to almost ground level.

#22 ·
Ouch. I also was around then Perusal, having just moved from West Kent to East Kent. Thankfully I don't have to contend with Bluebell Hill this week but Detling Hill is a bit interesting right now as you can well imagine!

Thanks for your good thoughts Mr C. You're right of course and we're taking it a day at a time.

Reactions: TheJam and AudiBill
#33 ·
Thanks, I much prefer the bigger dials being on display. As for Sat Nav - I live in the West Highlands of Scotland so no real need for it as there's not a lot of roads to go wrong on :ROFLMAO:. I do use it if I go on a day out to the big city but not much chance of that these days :(. I did miss the HUD from the BMW on the drive home.

#37 ·
Hahaha yes same here even those slight marks or chips once you see them they are visible.
But for most those details are not visible at all.

#38 ·
Hi all, I've swapped a B8.5 A4 Avant for a Mk2 Q3 45TSFI quattro (wanted petrol and quattro) in Chronos Grey, bought as ex-demo from the lovely Lucy Cheesewright at the Watford dealers. My lower back needed a higher seat, main reason to change. Overall, I love and it suits urban/rural/motorway use with equal ease. Only things that annoy me are: scored rear discs/brake noise/easy rusting (see that thread), the fact that the heated mirrors are not combined with the rear/front screen switches ....and IMO, the steering wheel could be a bit smaller... to look better, really.

#39 ·
Welcome to the gang. I have never had scored/noisy/ rusty discs in 37 years of owning Audi's. When I wash the car I spray the discs with alloy wheel cleaner then attack them with a high pressure washer. I then dry them off using a standard hair dryer. The last Q3 model had automatic heated mirrors, I don't know why they changed this. The only problem with a smaller steering wheel is seeing clearly the instrumentation over the full range of adjustments. The other problem you will find is setting up the drive select and MMI to suit your driving requirements, there are lots of options.

#40 ·
Welcome to the gang.

Thanks... in fact I got the car in mid-2019, but I've only just found the forum.

I have never had scored/noisy/ rusty discs in 37 years of owning Audis.

37... yikes! This is the first time I've had this in any of the cars I've had across many brands. I'm really surprised, as brakes are one of the millions of MQB-platform parts that VW uses across four of their brands. And they are not exactly a new bit of tech. My A4 had superb brakes.

When I wash the car I spray the discs with alloy wheel cleaner then attack them with a high pressure washer. I then dry them off using a standard hair dryer.

Hair dryer.... yikes! The car rarely gets washed - but ever since cheap foreign labour was invented, I take cars to a hand car wash. I can't believe that pressure washers have scored the discs, as I said I've never had this with any other cars...

The last Q3 model had automatic heated mirrors, I don't know why they changed this.

It's daft... you have to turn the little switch round and then of course you forget and they are on all the time. Would make much more sense if
they came on with either screen-demister and then went off with them as well.

The only problem with a smaller steering wheel is seeing clearly the instrumentation over the full range of adjustments.

Maybe, but personally I think the whole dash should have been designed around a smaller wheel... but not as tiny as the new Peugeot ones.

The other problem you will find is setting up the drive select and MMI to suit your driving requirements, there are lots of options.

I use Dynamic all the time. Ride is not as smooth as my S-Line A4 was, or my mate's Merc GLC... it's OK, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.