Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just saying hello and looking forward to reading through the forum.

Purchased last week my first Audi, an Audi Q3 2.0tdi quattro Black Edition. Very happy so far.
Looking at having it mapped next week, is this a good idea? It's not costing me any extra in fact I wangled it as part of the purchase deal.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Welcome McSteamy2010, that's a nice Q3 you have there. Is it manual or auto transmission?

Remap - completely your call. Have you checked the insurance implications?

Reactions: McSteamy2010

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Its Auto and having gone from always owning manuals it's so good to just point and shoot.

Not looked into insurance as of yet that's tomorrows job. Should I be expecting a big leap.

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
634 Posts
Great looking car 👍
As for remap I would say it depends who's remap it is as I wouldn't want a Sunday mechanic with a laptop doing it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great looking car 👍
As for remap I would say it depends who's remap it is as I wouldn't want a Sunday mechanic with a laptop doing it
Thanks. Mapping is done by a very popular company local to me TSR Performance. I do trust them but, I've never been down a mapping route before and don't know what to expect from it. More wear and tear etc on parts, that type of thing.

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
634 Posts
I've mapped lots of cars in the past but always used APR.
My 8P S3 stronic was over 100bhp up on stock and I ran it like that for almost 3 years without a single problem. Likewise with all the other cars.....never had a single issue.
Completely changes the car so if your confident it's a good map then I wouldn't hesitate if you think it needs it :unsure:

Reactions: McSteamy2010

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have had many Audi's over the last 39 years, all of the S and RS variants being remapped and/or modified. Nothing has ever broken and the improvement in performance and economy is noticeable. I have always used MTM as they are just around the corner from Audi Ingolstadt and work very closely with Audi. The best power/torque increase I ever had was on an RS6+ which was tuned to just over 810BHP. The only problem with tuning is the increased tyre wear as you tend to drive harder. But, fun it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, my RSQ3 has warped discs and flanges. I took it to Bolton Audi and they said if it was re-mapped or anything like that they would have shown me the door. I think they were of the opinion that if it's remapped that you drive like an idiot and therefore could do damage to the car and therefore no warranty on official audi parts.

·
Registered
2022 RSQ3 SE in Dayton Grey, C&S, red calipers
372 Posts
In my experience whether you drive like a maiden aunt or Lewy it will make absolutely no difference to any Audi dealer when it comes to pushing you out the door where replacement discs and brake pads are concerned. The oft quoted mantra 'consumables' will be ringing in your ear. My March 2020 Sport Edition needed rear discs (and pads) at 6500 miles I was chased off the premises, the car was totally original. Mine's were pitted. Not a chance of a consideration from Audi. IMHO opinion all VAG discs are made from poor quality materials which contribute to the numerous complaints.

I think warped can be brought about by running discs hot then plunging them into deep water, I am not an expert in this field so I could be very wrong.
Someone with more knowledge may be along later.

But don't give up it is worth compiling a nice letter to Audi UK to prod them, you never know.

Mike

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my experience whether you drive like a maiden aunt or Lewy it will make absolutely no difference to any Audi dealer when it comes to pushing you out the door where replacement discs and brake pads are concerned. The oft quoted mantra 'consumables' will be ringing in your ear. My March 2020 Sport Edition needed rear discs (and pads) at 6500 miles I was chased off the premises, the car was totally original. Mine's were pitted. Not a chance of a consideration from Audi. IMHO opinion all VAG discs are made from poor quality materials which contribute to the numerous complaints.

I think warped can be brought about by running discs hot then plunging them into deep water, I am not an expert in this field so I could be very wrong.
Someone with more knowledge may be along later.

But don't give up it is worth compiling a nice letter to Audi UK to prod them, you never know.

Mike
It all got sorted in the end and TPS footed the bill to Audi. We are in the motor trade (garage and MOT station) but this is my personal car. Hubby had a lot of leverage as we buy a lot of parts from TPS. So we got it all done and paid for, twice. Been okay since the flanges were replaced by hubby and Audi did the discs. But the lad did say if re-mapped they wouldn't have done it. I felt a bit sad that the young lad saw me and clearly though that at 48 years old I would drive like an old woman! ha ha ha :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
To be fair,re-map or no,the discs on the 8U RS should be well up to the job. My car is mapped,circa 410bhp,and I’ve had no problem with warped brakes. I don’t drive it like I stole it all the time,admittedly,but I certainly don’t hang around. Just the usual main stealer cop-out,don’t forget,these very same discs were fitted to more powerful RS stable cars too 🤔

Reactions: Elspeth

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be fair,re-map or no,the discs on the 8U RS should be well up to the job. My car is mapped,circa 410bhp,and I’ve had no problem with warped brakes. I don’t drive it like I stole it all the time,admittedly,but I certainly don’t hang around. Just the usual main stealer cop-out,don’t forget,these very same discs were fitted to more powerful RS stable cars too 🤔
From all the searching in forums about this while it was going on it seems different dealerships have different rules. Audi Manchester wouldn't even let us make an appointment to book it in, even though TPS were footing the bill. Bolton were fine with it. Hubby does everything on it but when he fitted the discs and the wobble started he said there was no way we were footing the bill for more discs, hence booking it in to the "main stealer". Luck of the draw really :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts