Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Back after a couple of days out, had an email this evening to say that there is another stock car with an identical spec including the 5 year warranty but with a Comfort and Sound pack pack - just need to check if it has the blue stitched interior which looked fabulous. I had my local dealer check the Audi central system for unsold/allocated cars and they said no Std RSQ3 in Daytona/Pano roof/ C&S pack were available at all.

I note that the dealers are communicating a fear from Audi UK that if the country drops out of the EU customs system without a deal on 31st December then the Audi UK price list will increase significantly as they will have VAT levied at source in Germany and again when sold in the UK.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I note that the dealers are communicating a fear from Audi UK that if the country drops out of the EU customs system without a deal on 31st December then the Audi UK price list will increase significantly as they will have VAT levied at source in Germany and again when sold in the UK.
Why would they have VAT levied at source? Surely it would be an export to a location outside of the EU = no VAT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Back after a couple of days out, had an email this evening to say that there is another stock car with an identical spec including the 5 year warranty but with a Comfort and Sound pack pack - just need to check if it has the blue stitched interior which looked fabulous. I had my local dealer check the Audi central system for unsold/allocated cars and they said no Std RSQ3 in Daytona/Pano roof/ C&S pack were available at all. Can't help wondering if it's an administrative snafu, all will be revealed in the morning.

if it’s a launch car which it sounds it is? Double check the packs have all the options that should come in those packs you’ve mentioned as the launch spec cars don’t usually have all of the relevant options in the packs they come with but rather only a select few that the dealer chooses, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Why would they have VAT levied at source? Surely it would be an export to a location outside of the EU = no VAT.
Whilst the UK is inside the EU goods are shipped without VAT, the receiving country when also inside the EU then charges the VAT at the point of sale. There is a reporting process known as Intrastat that logs the transactions.

When the UK is out of the EU, with no deal over the successor to the Customs Union then the selling country will ship the products with VAT charged (because Germany has to collect sales tax i.e. VAT at source), at the UK border HMRC will charge Customs Duty which also has VAT added, and then finally at the point of sale there will be VAT on the final sale - so tax-on-tax-on-tax-on-tax.

The Brexiteers with little grasp of international trading processes conveniently skimmed over these minor details and then Covid-19 arrived and rather took everyone's eye off the ball.

I have a close friend who works for a software house that supplies import/export applications and he says that companies all over the UK and Europe have woken up, mostly too late, to the fact that an almighty screw-up is rushing towards us. There is a hope that the whole process will be delayed so the details can be ironed out - but as mentioned previously this isn't a big priority right now.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
if it’s a launch car which it sounds it is? Double check the packs have all the options that should come in those packs you’ve mentioned as the launch spec cars don’t usually have all of the relevant options in the packs they come with but rather only a select few that the dealer chooses, if that makes sense?
You make a fair point sm12five, there are a lot of 'Introductory Volume' RSQ3 in the dealer network - loaded with kit, some of which is only obtainable on the Vorsprung version or not at all with one vital option missing for 'enthusiast orientated model derivative' namely a Pano roof. I have a feeling that the Introductory Volume cars are Audi configured for launch demo purposes and the unfortunate dealer is foisted with a potential lemon and thus has no choice in the matter. My existing RS, according to the MyAudi App, was also an Introductory Volume vehicle - I bought it when it just shy of three years old.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Whilst the UK is inside the EU goods are shipped without VAT, the receiving country when also inside the EU then charges the VAT at the point of sale. There is a reporting process known as Intrastat that logs the transactions.
Unless Germany has very different VAT rules from the UK (while still following EU regs), which I very much doubt, that's not how it works. The rules are:

1. If Germany currently exports to a private customer in the UK then it will charge German VAT at source.

2. If Germany currently exports to a business customer in the UK then it will ship ex-VAT but needs confirmation/validation of the customer's domestic VAT number. The business cannot then reclaim input VAT on this transaction in the usual way, because.obviosuly none was charged.

3. Exports to third countries are VAT-free.

So eg if I (currently) export a product to say Jersey or Norway or UAE or US etc then I ship ex-VAT. FWIW, my business does this all the time. As from Jan 1st (but obviously subject to any trade deal that might be reached) then we are expecting to export to all customers in EU countries VAT-free, though of course arrival in the destination country will trigger liability to import tax and VAT at whatever rates that country decides. In practice, small items often slip through the net, but that certainly wouldn't apply to cars.

NB Not wishing to start a big thread diversion into the deeply unappealing topic of international VAT administration :) but the point being that any mention of 'double VAT' sounds to me like the worst sort of sales talk. I'd suspect the sales exec involved to be either deliberately misleading or seriously uninformed and so perhaps worth avoiding on either count.

·
Registered
710 Posts
In my naivety and ignorance of financial rules, I’m with PWS on this John.
I don’t know of a situation where double tax gets charged. It certainly wouldn’t be ‘allowed‘ to happen in a no deal Brexit situation as there wouldn’t be a single EU mainstream manufacturer that would sell any cars as they would be priced out of the market. We are worth too much to their businesses, even as a small island. Would WTO rules allow it anyway?
Surely even the EU aren’t that stupid....yes, I am a staunch but not rabid Brexiteer. Trade fine, the rest...no.
The Asian manufacturers would be rubbing their hands with glee.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks chaps - I'm not so sure that in the event of a no-deal departure that it will be so straight-forward, take a look here: StackPath , my local dealer advises that Audi UK are saying that a no-deal-departure will generate price list increases in excess of 10% and they can't guarantee that the price on the order form will be the one the customer will eventually pay.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Back after a couple of days out, had an email this evening to say that there is another stock car with an identical spec including the 5 year warranty but with a Comfort and Sound pack pack - just need to check if it has the blue stitched interior which looked fabulous. I had my local dealer check the Audi central system for unsold/allocated cars and they said no Std RSQ3 in Daytona/Pano roof/ C&S pack were available at all.

Back to the topic....there are two nearly identical Std RSQ3 Daytona grey/Aral blue interior/Pano roof/TP monitoring/5yr warranty cars in stock apparently, one with a C&S pack and one without. The sales chap says he has sat in the car with the desired C&S pack, it has the Aral blue interior and the offer on the table is just over 12% discount off list. Very tempting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Back to the topic....there are two nearly identical Std RSQ3 Daytona grey/Aral blue interior/Pano roof/TP monitoring/5yr warranty cars in stock apparently, one with a C&S pack and one without. The sales chap says he has sat in the car with the desired C&S pack, it has the Aral blue interior and the offer on the table is just over 12% discount off list. Very tempting.
Looks like you found the car :D
Better check the car in person if possible, otherwise I remember when dealer was searching car for me they shared a spec sheet where you can see all the details and options.
As car was stored somewhere so I could not see the car in person but that spec sheet assured me what options are installed.
Car doesn't got storage package although vorsprung I wonder why they make an option it should be standard.
Anyway.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks chaps - I'm not so sure that in the event of a no-deal departure that it will be so straight-forward, take a look here: StackPath , my local dealer advises that Audi UK are saying that a no-deal-departure will generate price list increases in excess of 10% and they can't guarantee that the price on the order form will be the one the customer will eventually pay.
Oh yes, there's a good chance that car prices will increase - that's pretty likely I would have thought (at least in the event of no-deal). UK may be obliged to charge what I think is the 10% WTO car import tariff. But the point at debate was whether it would be doubly-charged VAT, which I can't see. But people voted in the clear knowledge that Leave would mean higher costs, so it's to be expected.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have the VIN, the wonderful MyAudi App enables you to check the specification of the vehicle - works really well.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Oh yes, there's a good chance that car prices will increase - that's pretty likely I would have thought (at least in the event of no-deal). UK may be obliged to charge what I think is the 10% WTO car import tariff. But the point at debate was whether it would be doubly-charged VAT, which I can't see. But people voted in the clear knowledge that Leave would mean higher costs, so it's to be expected.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the New Year, I'm not hopeful.:mad:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have the VIN, the wonderful MyAudi App enables you to check the specification of the vehicle - works really well.
That’s a comment I never thought I would see. ;):)

Reactions: Lochsider

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Have weighed up the decision to stick with the 8U Performance which is an amazing vehicle albeit 4.5 years old vs. changing to the 2020 base model RSQ3 which is, out-of-the-box in a very similar spec to the current car as mine was an 'Introductory volume' car with extra kit, i.e. Side Assist (blind spot monitoring), lane assist and a speed limit sign camera, pano roof, comfort+ pack, Bose and all the standard kit of the Performance so Advanced Key, red brake calipers, and the special interior. My original plan was to keep the 8U Performance until a suitable EV appeared which hasn't happened, instead release dates have slipped, slipped again, and again and even if an Audi Q4 suddenly appeared then we still don't have the infrastructure to support it.

The final offer is a base RSQ3 on 20" wheels, Daytona Grey, Aral Blue stitched interior, Comfort & Sound pack, Pano Roof, TP monitoring and the 5 Year, 90,000 mile full factory warranty, a just about perfect spec - conscious that I'm not a fan of 'driving aids' like adaptive suspension and cruise, all the clever kit took the fun out of the RS4 - raw as possible works best for me.

The deal (clearly supported by Audi UK, the car is a 2020 build from the VIN identifier but probably 6 months+ old) would see very nearly £10k wiped off the list OTR value and eliminate a sizeable wedge of the initial depreciation though obviously it will still lose a chunk of money each month for the 1st 3 or 4 years - that's an unavoidable fact of car ownership. On a new car one loses the cost of the options, 1st reg fee, RFL surcharge, delivery charges plus the VAT the moment the car is registered in your name so a sizeable chunk of that is taken care of.

I'm aware that the 2020 model has soot particulate filters downstream from the exhaust catalyser so some of the aural drama of an 8U RSQ3 at full chat with all the pops and bangs (crikey I'm still a child) has been lost, will probably be quieter still as the car on offer hasn't got the sports exhaust either...maybe I should grow up and not act my shoe size...7.5... :rolleyes:. I see SuperSprint do exhaust upgrades for the F3 RS so If I missed the excitement too much then there are options.

We know that the Audi UK list prices will have to rise in January 2021 as the UK leaves the Customs Union, most likely with no deal in place we just don't know how much the increases will be. So on balance acquiring an F3 RSQ3 in a good configuration at the right money isn't the worst decision going. Will collect on the 28th.

·
Registered
710 Posts
At first I read it as if you were keeping your current one...until the last sentence.
Spend it while you’ve got it and can enjoy what you have spent it on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
At first I read it as if you were keeping your current one...until the last sentence.
Spend it while you’ve got it and can enjoy what you have spent it on.
Same here thought deal is not happening.
Waiting for 28th :D

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
I agree that for you the deal's just too good to pass up, especially with the uncertainty everywhere in the world right now, not just in Europe. Grab it while you can!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree that for you the deal's just too good to pass up, especially with the uncertainty everywhere in the world right now, not just in Europe. Grab it while you can!
Have weighed up the decision to stick with the 8U Performance which is an amazing vehicle albeit 4.5 years old vs. changing to the 2020 base model RSQ3 which is, out-of-the-box in a very similar spec to the current car as mine was an 'Introductory volume' car with extra kit, i.e. Side Assist (blind spot monitoring), lane assist and a speed limit sign camera, pano roof, comfort+ pack, Bose and all the standard kit of the Performance so Advanced Key, red brake calipers, and the special interior. My original plan was to keep the 8U Performance until a suitable EV appeared which hasn't happened, instead release dates have slipped, slipped again, and again and even if an Audi Q4 suddenly appeared then we still don't have the infrastructure to support it.

The final offer is a base RSQ3 on 20" wheels, Daytona Grey, Aral Blue stitched interior, Comfort & Sound pack, Pano Roof, TP monitoring and the 5 Year, 90,000 mile full factory warranty, a just about perfect spec - conscious that I'm not a fan of 'driving aids' like adaptive suspension and cruise, all the clever kit took the fun out of the RS4 - raw as possible works best for me.

The deal (clearly supported by Audi UK, the car is a 2020 build from the VIN identifier but probably 6 months+ old) would see very nearly £10k wiped off the list OTR value and eliminate a sizeable wedge of the initial depreciation though obviously it will still lose a chunk of money each month for the 1st 3 or 4 years - that's an unavoidable fact of car ownership. On a new car one loses the cost of the options, 1st reg fee, RFL surcharge, delivery charges plus the VAT the moment the car is registered in your name so a sizeable chunk of that is taken care of.

I'm aware that the 2020 model has soot particulate filters downstream from the exhaust catalyser so some of the aural drama of an 8U RSQ3 at full chat with all the pops and bangs (crikey I'm still a child) has been lost, will probably be quieter still as the car on offer hasn't got the sports exhaust either...maybe I should grow up and not act my shoe size...7.5... :rolleyes:. I see SuperSprint do exhaust upgrades for the F3 RS so If I missed the excitement too much then there are options.

We know that the Audi UK list prices will have to rise in January 2021 as the UK leaves the Customs Union, most likely with no deal in place we just don't know how much the increases will be. So on balance acquiring an F3 RSQ3 in a good configuration at the right money isn't the worst decision going. Will collect on the 28th.
I wasn’t expecting that either. Congratulations,I wasn’t overly keen on some of the colours I’ve seen in the new RS,but Daytona is a personal favourite of mine. The wife’s too,never gets tired of telling me that Sepang is an awful colour,and I should’ve got mine in Daytona too. Looking forward to the pictures and your thoughts on the new model 👏🏻

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
51 Posts
Congratulations John, like others I did initially read from your post that you were keeping the 8U RS lol
Sounds like you've talked yourself into it though so I hope its everything you wish for (y)

41 - 60 of 73 Posts