Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never say never - I have come across a new shape base model RSQ3, unregistered and in Daytona grey/blue interior. (is 8F the model designator?). At a sizeable chunk (around £11k) less than OTR list I've put a refundable deposit on it - with the1st hit of depreciation somewhat mitigated (all options, 1st reg fee and some of the VAT) the offer seems almost too good to miss.

Kind of close to what I'd have ordered if I'd lost my senses and gone for a factory order - so the base vehicle with 20" wheels which in RS form is fairly well spec'd anyway, Pano roof/C&S pack/TP monitoring and, oddly, the 5 year/90,000 extended warranty - however no sports exhaust which I would have selected.

A couple of questions for those with the new shape Q3:

1) Quite a few of the reviews have criticised the cabin plastics quality - hard scratchy? Does it feel bad - or is it a case of looking for it?
2) Has anyone driven a standard base model RSQ3?

Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Why am I not surprised?
You know you want to whatever anyone says.

I started off looking for a replacement trail bike and was looking at four or five years old but it’s changed to a one year old version...if I can find one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Never say never - I have come across a new shape base model RSQ3, unregistered and in Daytona grey/blue interior. (is 8F the model designator?). At a sizeable chunk (around £11k) less than OTR list I've put a refundable deposit on it - with the1st hit of depreciation somewhat mitigated (all options, 1st reg fee and some of the VAT) the offer seems almost too good to miss.

Kind of close to what I'd have ordered if I'd lost my senses and gone for a factory order - so the base vehicle with 20" wheels which in RS form is fairly well spec'd anyway, Pano roof/C&S pack/TP monitoring and, oddly, the 5 year/90,000 extended warranty - however no sports exhaust which I would have selected.

A couple of questions for those with the new shape Q3:

1) Quite a few of the reviews have criticised the cabin plastics quality - hard scratchy? Does it feel bad - or is it a case of looking for it?
2) Has anyone driven a standard base model RSQ3?

Thanks!
(y) I would say go for it.
As mentioned earlier by me when I was visiting showroom to get my deal done for TFSI45 but there was this Monster looking Green RSQ3 which still comes in my dreams lolz.
I can compare the interior plastic with F Pace and I can say it is a good quality plastic.
Dashboard is soft rubbery to touch.
Door trims top bit slightly harder to touch than dashboard plastic rubber mix feeling.
Door trim lower portion is hard plastic but a good quality.
Door sills plastic hard but again good quality, while getting in and my shoes do rub sometimes no matter how careful I am but again single damp cloth wipe and you don't see any scratch.
Where as in F Pace slightest shoe rubbing the sills and there was a permanent scratch.
Just re posting the pics for fun.
20200816_143158.jpg
20200816_150234.jpg

Thanks.
Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks KJ! I di look at the green (there are quite a few unsold ones around) and wonder how long I could tolerate it for, I kind of like Turbo Blue too - thought that's at the far end of the ' a bit bright' scale too.

Back to the pastics - the insight of an actual owner is considerably more useful than a journo that has a new press car every couple of weeks, must be hard to stay objective.

DavidS - yeah, I know....sure as night follows day.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Our sole purpose in life is to make it better for us.
Mine, at the moment, is a new kitchen. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
For reference, I think the model designations are
8U for the old model
F3 for the 2020 model

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi John. Sounds like a pretty good deal (particularly with the warranty) and spec for the base model........except for those standard wheels, especially with Daytona Grey. Just doesn't look like an RS with that combination. Would you turn round and look at it after you've parked up? I've toyed with the idea of "upgrading", but decided I don't think I could live with touchscreens, the extra expense and the so so looks for the sake of a 0.3 of a second improvement in 0-60, less in the case of your Performance. But that said, the lottery or the premium bonds might get me to consider the Sport or Vorsprung version .........or an SQ8😉. Just my four pennys worth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can understand your angst over the quality of the cabin area. In the beginning I too had misgivings, at that time circa Jan I was driving a 2018 camouflage green metallic 184 Black Edition which I thought was quite nicely presented. I carried out a recce to my local Audi Stealership and looked over a kermit green car one of the intro offering. The paintwork and dark interior in my eyes definitely did not go well together. It caused me to take rather a harsh view of the whole vehicle, especially the cabin finish. It was not until I set eyes on a Dayton gray Sport Ed, my current car, that I saw past my original bias. I have settled well into my 2020 plastics and now appreciate how well the cabin area is finished. I know I made a good move, nothing to regret. Only the fuel consumption, but that's another story. The deal at Crewe was good.

Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For reference, I think the model designations are
8U for the old model
F3 for the 2020 model

Cheers Spike
Thanks Spike!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi John. Sounds like a pretty good deal (particularly with the warranty) and spec for the base model........except for those standard wheels, especially with Daytona Grey. Just doesn't look like an RS with that combination. Would you turn round and look at it after you've parked up? I've toyed with the idea of "upgrading", but decided I don't think I could live with touchscreens, the extra expense and the so so looks for the sake of a 0.3 of a second improvement in 0-60, less in the case of your Performance. But that said, the lottery or the premium bonds might get me to consider the Sport or Vorsprung version .........or an SQ8😉. Just my four pennys worth.
Thanks Malph, I've sat on the fence, got off it and hopped back on a couple of times. The state of the roads here in Warwickshire are dire so I don't think I'd have ever opted for the Sport Edition or Vorsprung because of the 21" wheels, the risk of rim damage is unacceptable, the current RS is on the 255/35 tyres, the 2020 is on 255/40 so a little more sidewall. The dilemma then is that a factory ordered heavily spec'd base car that will take an even bigger depreciation hit. I have a video of the actual car (with the check-engine light on and in 'limp' mode :( and in the flesh it looks really pretty decent, the chrome trim those 10 spoke wheels look good together, surprisingly so.

I'm not a fan of the touch screens either but did discover in an A6 loaner back when I 1st had the current car that Audi have extended the voice control options considerably, in that A6 you could simply hit the voice command button and say "I'm too hot" and the car would ask for a desired temp so feel I'd need to make a concerted effort to do more with voice control - the Q3 is also capable. As a further incentive I've had eczema all my life so my hands get creamed with skin lotions regularly which really helps touch displays a lot - not!

Truth be told there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current RS, ticks all the boxes, I'm perhaps just a bit bored with it which is a totally feeble excuse I do realise. A more modern version of the current car whilst still retaining the 'raw edge' that RSQ3s have because of what's lurking under the bonnet. Money no object then I'd love an RSQ8 though that's a big 'ol bus (not to mention a trifling £110k+) and I'm not at all sure it will fit in the garage.

The only misgiving I have with the 2020 RSQ3 is that wretched 'pedestrian assist' function that has the ability to do an emergency stop without warning - I've since read that there is a 'late' mode that can be set so 99% of the time it stays off because the driver, has already taken corrective action, fingers crossed there.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can understand your angst over the quality of the cabin area. In the beginning I too had misgivings, at that time circa Jan I was driving a 2018 camouflage green metallic 184 Black Edition which I thought was quite nicely presented. I carried out a recce to my local Audi Stealership and looked over a kermit green car one of the intro offering. The paintwork and dark interior in my eyes definitely did not go well together. It caused me to take rather a harsh view of the whole vehicle, especially the cabin finish. It was not until I set eyes on a Dayton gray Sport Ed, my current car, that I saw past my original bias. I have settled well into my 2020 plastics and now appreciate how well the cabin area is finished. I know I made a good move, nothing to regret. Only the fuel consumption, but that's another story. The deal at Crewe was good.

Mike
Thanks Mike, appreciated. It's interesting, no-one with a RSQ3 ever speaks of 'Fuel economy', that's because there isn't any - unless you can spend a couple of hours on a motorway around the legal limit and then figures north of 30 are possible.....you can just hear the diesel lads sniggering in the back row now can't you?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Granted, it is nice to see a 550 mile range and pretty much achieving it but that’s more from not having to stop for fuel for a few days/weeks.
Economy is a dirty word and should never be used or considered.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The cost to change John must be going on £25k, only you can decide if that cost is worth it.
I'm sure it'll be a more accomplished car though than the 8U with miles better tech if thats what you want, but if your serious you need to drive one for comparison and weigh up the difference.
Daytona is one of my favourite colours so I don't think you can go far wrong.
Kyalami is a flat colour so although nice and shouty, it doesn't have much character!

·
Registered
397 Posts
John. I understand the attraction of a new RS, but another of my considerations was the abundance "nanny tech" on the new RS and most new cars these days. That's why I like the 8U RS, it's relative simplicity......way fewer bells, whistles, warning lights and systems that can do stuff that can scare the [email protected] out of you when you least expect it. I've had my (used) RS longer than any car I've ever owned in 50 years of driving and I'll probably be keeping it a while longer yet. Yes, it's 5 years old next month, but hasn't yet done 21k miles, which makes the choice to stick with it a lot easier. Good luck with the decision. But as you've said....never say never😉

Reactions: DavidS

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I'm with you on this Malph - my 2013 Q3 has done 55,000 miles and there's every chance I'll be doubling that before I consider changing it. I too heartily dislike nanny tech that has the capacity to kill you in the name of safety and am only too glad to be away from touchscreen tech after experiencing it in my previous (Jaguar) vehicle. After over 40 years in the IT industry I'm no Luddite but regard the avalanche of superfluous tech in current vehicles as unnecessary and possibly dangerous.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm with you on this Malph - my 2013 Q3 has done 55,000 miles and there's every chance I'll be doubling that before I consider changing it. I too heartily dislike nanny tech that has the capacity to kill you in the name of safety and am only too glad to be away from touchscreen tech after experiencing it in my previous (Jaguar) vehicle. After over 40 years in the IT industry I'm no Luddite but regard the avalanche of superfluous tech in current vehicles as unnecessary and possibly dangerous.
You are the man myself in telecoms basically in mobile side and I just hate all those tech when it comes to cars......I want to be in control. Period.
Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
95 Posts
But you can disable most of the tech if not all in these modern cars.
I remember when I started driving my car was with carburettor, no power steering, no power windows, no traction control or ABS , plain manual car and I use to beat the heck out of it and yet still alive with no accident till date.
In icy or slippery conditions we use to pick car in 2nd gear, to stop car in slippery conditions used to mimic ABS by pressing and releasing break pedal and God knows what else.
I have even driven car with clutch failure and still could change the gears by matching the revs or holding the breaks to shift.
If I get a chance and time I'll get those 90s honda civic and restore it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts