Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to raise this again and, yes, I have RTFM, as best I can follow it.
Having now decided to keep the Q3 rather then ‘upgrade’, navigation has raised its ugly head again.
The car is 2013 with SD Navigation built it as original. It is the original card.
We don’t use nav very often but are expecting more local (european driving) holidays for the next couple of years, use may increase.

Having had a useless Garmin in South Africa that couldn’t find any if the rural hotels we stayed in, we resorted to Offline Google Maps on the iPhone, which was ok but limited in features when offline.
I have just been experimenting with my new, to me, iPhone X, which can find pretty much anything anywhere in the world but it is dependent on a phone signal to work properly so I can’t actually set it at home if away from the wifi.

I set it up to find the Crich Tramway Museum as we are hoping to stop off there in September and it found it instantly and set up the route. Regular updates and totally free plus dead easy to find places.
I couldn’t find it at all on the car Nav so absolutely useless. Only found the postcode but, if our house is anything to go by being a mile long, it still isn’t very accurate.
Based on my recent experience in SA, I’m not drawn to buying yet another navigation system (TomTom or Garmin), unless persuaded otherwise as I hadn’t been over impressed in the past.

Questions.
1. Is it worth updating the SD card for the £250(ish) cost and find it is still as limited? Probably not.
2. Just use Google Maps on the phone and accept the small-ish screen and have it clipped to a vent (a bit crude) or on a dash mounted stand?
3. Our rented Vitara automatically connected the phone to the car display when we plugged it in to the USB. Can this be made to happen in the Q3? Despite having bluetooth and discoverability enabled, the car system couldn’t find my phone.

Apologies again. 😕

PS. What is that stupid big connector that gets in the way in the centre storage box?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have to agree it’s not really worth getting the map update, if you intended keeping the car for a while you could upgrade the MMI to an Android system, alternatively just use your phone, Waze is a very good satnav app and use in my work van, the big connector in the glove box is for connecting your phone, you will need a lead that connects from that to the lightning socket on your IPhone

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chippie. I’ll have a look. I’m happy to use Google Maps but it would be nice if it could display on the car screen (and dash centre).

I don’t get why it won’t connect with bluetooth though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Chippie. I’ll have a look. I’m happy to use Google Maps but it would be nice if it could display on the car screen (and dash centre).

I don’t get why it won’t connect with bluetooth though.
I found with my 2014 and 2017 Q3s that I had to get both the (Android) phone and car to search simultaneously for each other. Asking car to connect to phone or phone to connect to car didn't work.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m a bit of a dumbo about bluetooth but will give it a go.
I never use the phone in the car, even hands free.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
There is some (limited) Bluetooth troubleshooting info in this Audi link
Scroll along the list of cars to find the Q3 then select your specific phone model
It's for facelift or the new model modle cars but the info should be similar

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Oh dear - on the Bluetooth front to start with. Apple for reasons best known to themselves decided that implementing a sensible chunk of the Bluetooth protocol stack was a step too far which tends to results in connectivity issues across a range of devices. Some users have no issues others, lots. Other mobile manufacturers, say Samsung with Galaxy models, certainly S10 onwards going the whole hog and using the latest Bluetooth standard (v5.0) - no connection issues with anything and even the Remote SIM Access Profile (rSAP) works.

There may be another, rather more elegant solution AUDI MMI RMC/3G BASIC/3G HIGH/3G PLUS Retrofit CarPlay and Android Auto Kit – Integrated automotive UK these guys have developed a device (in the UK) that enables your dash display to have, in your case, Apple Car Play, running on the dash screen and controlled by the existing fascia buttons/steering wheel controls and displaying whatever apps you are running on your phone. I had a chat with them back in early April, they are really responsive and have resolved to have them fit a unit when the current movement restrictions are eased. The attraction, to me, anyway, is that it looks OEM, no ugly phone mounts or visible fascia gubbins as it's all out of sight.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch! If I start spending that sort of money I may as well go for the RS😂
Apple do have some irritating ideas and attitudes. We only went that route because the rest of our wide family all have them.

Using nav really is a rarity - I have probably only used it about 10 times in the nearly four years I have had the car but, as I said, this use may increase now.

I think, for now, I’ll get decent quality vent and dashtop holders and try them both. If they aren’t much cop then I’ll only be a few quid down anyway.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have dragged out my at least 10 years old weighted dash top holder and the phone fits easily so I’ll give it a try in the week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts