Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am trying to set up MyAudi app.
I have an 2016 RSQ3, will the app give me real time vehicle security status and allow me to remotely lock/unlock?

Thanks All,
Lee

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Hi Lee

On a 2016 8U RSQ3, no, sadly it wont. Those features need an integrated SIM built into the vehicle, so on the current F3 Q3 it looks like this:

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
117 Posts
There's no 2 way connection between the car and the app on the 2016 (8U Q3), the only thing you can "send" to the car is a destination. That actually goes to your online account and you pick it up from there in the car.
I've never actually got that to work though tbh on this or any of my previous same generation mmi equipped audi's.
The only thing you'll get now with a sim in the car is online traffic and limited local information, the Google earth sat nav overlay no longer works since Google changed the implementation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jon.
I appreciate the reply.
I have the upgraded Sat Nav MMi system with 2x SD Card Readers and SIM.
I have a SIM card only in the car too which works?

also do you have experience with the licence for Audi Connect Traffic online, is it worth the investment to renew the license?

Many Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
No probs Lee

Your Q3 has 3GMMI+, so the SIM in radio head unit between the SD card readers provides a data connection for Google real time traffic information which is (worth having), news and weather reports are there too - you can also receive destinations sent from the MyAudi app either on your phone or from a PC though as Ju has indicated above that has been a bit flaky at times. The Connect licence for the 8U didn't, certainly when I have my two RS', have a cost attached, your local dealer could renew the licence on the Audi system for you. It is worth having for the Connect Traffic data alone. Google aggregate all the anonymised Android mobile phone movements (circa 80% mobile phone market share) to calculate traffic speeds on every road and supplement that with traffic incident data from other sources - so if you are on a journey and Sat Nav decides to say have you exit at the next motorway junction DO NOT ignore it, you'll find it to be uncannily accurate,

The next generation of MMI after yours has a data SIM imbedded (not user accessible) in the car systems to the effect that car is 'always on' and receives SatNav map updates automatically along with a whole bunch of other bits of data - local fuel stations and prices for example. The initial period for the licence on the later cars is from the 1st three years after registration, thereafter there is a cost. Audi are planning (bits of functionality are there already - but no payment platform yet) to enable customers to purchase addition services and new features for the car direct from the MyAudi app.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No probs Lee

Your Q3 has 3GMMI+, so the SIM in radio head unit between the SD card readers provides a data connection for Google real time traffic information which is (worth having), news and weather reports are there too - you can also receive destinations sent from the MyAudi app either on your phone or from a PC though as Ju has indicated above that has been a bit flaky at times. The Connect licence for the 8U didn't, certainly when I have my two RS', have a cost attached, your local dealer could renew the licence on the Audi system for you. It is worth having for the Connect Traffic data alone. Google aggregate all the anonymised Android mobile phone movements (circa 80% mobile phone market share) to calculate traffic speeds on every road and supplement that with traffic incident data from other sources - so if you are on a journey and Sat Nav decides to say have you exit at the next motorway junction DO NOT ignore it, you'll find it to be uncannily accurate,

The next generation of MMI after yours has a data SIM imbedded (not user accessible) in the car systems to the effect that car is 'always on' and receives SatNav map updates automatically along with a whole bunch of other bits of data - local fuel stations and prices for example. The initial period for the licence on the later cars is from the 1st three years after registration, thereafter there is a cost. Audi are planning (bits of functionality are there already - but no payment platform yet) to enable customers to purchase addition services and new features for the car direct from the MyAudi app.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jon,

As always very informative - thank you.

The cost to renew the license is approx £40pa.
On your advice I’ll renew as anything that supports the sat nav is hugely beneficial.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe it is a chargeable service from now on so no free upgrades unfortunately, although I don't know how the payment platform works and many of the Audi digital platforms are still in development !
This is what it showed for mine.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
They have caught up Ju, thanks for sharing.

The MyAudi App supports 'Function on Demand' which was introduced for the E-Tron, so Audi could offer the ability to activate options already fitted to the car but not enabled - would simplify manufacturing an example Audi used was Matrix Headlights - for a fee Audi could remotely enable the feature.

·
Registered
117 Posts
so Audi could offer the ability to activate options already fitted to the car but not enabled - would simplify manufacturing an example Audi used was Matrix Headlights - for a fee Audi could remotely enable the feature.
And also every subsequent owner....Nice little earner by the sounds of it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts