Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On collection of my Q3, I noticed the tailgate was seriously misaligned. Almost looks like it was in accident!Dealer said they would 'sort it'so I took their honest
word for it.
On further inspection, I was sceptical that it could be repaired 'as new', it looked as if it was not just misaligned but the tailgate and/or chassis was skewed. Dealer took it back a couple of weeks later and less than 24 hours later, they called to announce that it was fixed. Less than 24 hours to re-align tailgate and touch up bolt heads / hinges? I was even more sceptical and this was confounded when the driver turned up. The tailgate was just as bad, the paint touching up had not been done so there was bare metal showing and to make matters worse, it came back with a dent on the rear pillar!!! (my guess is that the strut had been taken off and then the tailgate dropped on it).So that was that, sent the driver packing, with an A4 loan car still on drive.
That was a Wednesday. Officially rejected car on a Friday. Dealer principal advised they were 'declining' my rejection on Tuesday as the car had originally come out within Audi quality tolerances!
One shut gap measuring 8.5mm, t'other 2.5mm! Apparently this wasacceptable? This is the reason why I started a thread asking you guys for shut gap measurements as this all proved valuable research.
After a few emails to Audi UK, Dealer MD, and a couple of head honchos, dealer principal called on the Thursday to offer a like for like replacement, i.e. I keep the current Q3, same spec one gets factory ordered and delivered next year. As I disappointed with the Q3 build and quality from my experience, they offered a deal on a Q5 S Line Plus so ended up going with that. Still keep the repaired Q3 for the winter and swap for the Q5 in March so best of both worlds.
I actually didn't think I was getting anywhere in the days prior to the outcome but what they couldn't, and I am yet to establish and what was probably the clincher for me, what exactly are the Audi quality tolerances for shut gaps? Surely can't be no more than 2mm? Certainly not the 6mm on my car!
So in conclusion (well this feels like an essay!), my experience with the Q3 was very disappointing but the experience in getting a replacement turned out excellently and the dealership and Audi UK were extremelyaccommodatingso I have to tip my hat to them.
(Even though, the paintwork they did on the dent came back with overspray
and they re-alignment of the tailgate is still not up to my personal expectations)
There's a few photos here to view, which I'll take down after a few days for privacy.
Q3 as from factoryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157632060957428/Q3 post first repairhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157632056981473/

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am glad that you have reached a solution on this.

Looking at the pictures, you have to seriously question the quality control team that allows a car like this to leave the factor. Perhaps Audi need to check that the Quality control team actual do their job properly.

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
Hope you enjoy your Q5 next year a lot more.

And, I don not think this came that way by the quality control dep. They damaged it during transport.

I have seen a TT that has dropped of the top part of the transporter and they delivered it 'as ordered' to the customer. The dealer said afterwords, that the car was 'repaired' as like it was factory new.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That is shocking, even if it was damaged during transport the dealer should never have handed it over to a customer.

Did they honestly think you wouldn't notice, good luck with the Q5 and well done on getting a good result

·
Registered
201 Posts
Glad you've sorted it out finally, agree with the above, really shoddy service from the dealer initially and laughable that they thought you would believe that that kind of gap was within Audi tolerances. Enjoy the Q5 and sorry you had such a bad experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well done to notice this and getting it sorted. Don't mind Audiqualitycontrol, it is a human factor and it could haveeasilydamaged during transport.Lets put it this way, when I took mine in, it was making clanking noise from the backevery timeI went over the bump. Brought it back, left it for a day or so, when I came back to pick it up, they said it was plastic sleeves left from transportation, and I was reminded that this should have not happened because Audihashigh standards... but it did happen! Make you think what is "high standard"...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts