Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Newbie here! Have been reading through suggestions and responses across the forum and on web reviews but haven't found anything to help me decide between the different motobility options for the Q3. It's for the Mrs due to her various health conditions but physical customisation will be minimal.
So the 1.4 SE or 1.4 TFSI or the 2.0 TFSI? Or S Line or S line navigation? or black edition?!
In terms of engine size, it's short journeys then the occasional motorway and I think the 1.4's would be fine for her but is the SE any different to the TFSI engine? All reviews and reviewers seem to have good things to say about all the engines.
In terms of features, she's got to have rear parking sensors, heated seats, sat nav built in and cruise control but nothing else is important. She would LIKE to have a sunroof, powered boot and front parking sensors and privacy glass on the back but those are the "nice to haves" rather than the deal breakers. Extra chrome and styling doesn't make a difference to us.

Can anyone share their opinions/advice on which model would be best?

Taa very much in advance! My eyes are glazing over from comparing spec sheets!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been an owner of a 1.4 tfsi s tronc s lne navigation for a mnth now, having sold my A3 2.0 TDI s tronic. I purchased the car with heated seats front and back sensors and high beam assist and must say it is brilliant. Due to low mikeage and short trips the move from diesel to petrol was an obvious one and was recommended by many si called experts. The heated seats warm the base pad and back which, together with electric settings for back support, really help with any back problems. The sensors are very effective and accurate. The car is easy to get in and out of, at the front, but not so easy when sitting in the back. The electric tailgate is really useful. The s line is a good spec but I would, personally, place the auto gear box as a must as I have shoulder and issues that are not helped with a manual box. The 1.4 petrol engine is sweet with sufficient power to get you out of problems. All in all recommended.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

Just to clarify, the 1.4TFSI is a (bloody good) petrol engine, SE is the standard trim level i.e. below the S-Line.

Definitely go for the 1.4TFSI petrol engine, especially when mainly short journeys are involved, sooner than a diesel. The S-Tronic semi-auto gearbox is one of the best ever built - give yourself a treat and go for it if you can, there's no performance or fuel consumption penalty over the manual and they're a joy to drive.

You will only need the 2.0TFSI if you want/need Quattro 4WD or are likely to be towing. Otherwise the 1.4TFSI will give you everything you're likely to require of it.

The only other options I'd recommend (if your model of choice doesn't already have them as standard) other than those you've already earmarked are the LED interior light pack (trust me, you'll KICK yourselves if you if you don't have this) and power folding mirrors.

If you or your good lady have back problems check the seats carefully and try them if you can before ordering - they vary widely in comfort and ease of access, the standard ones often being better than any more expensive variants. Also watch the wheel size - 17" are always best for sheer ride comfort, 18" a reasonable compromise 'twixt comfort and looks, 19" and above a definite teeth-rattling no-no.

As for which model, cost out two options:

1) Start with an SE and add all options you require individually.

2) Look at SE, S-Line Black etc. and find the variant that has most of the options you want then add the additional ones.

....then go for whichever is the cheaper. There may be a slightly higher residual value in the higher variants but probably not significant enough to worry about.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I agree with Fred and Gromit with their comments. I think the 1.4TSFI will suit her purposes and the auto S-tronicbox is definitely worth some serious consideration. The LED interior is worth it too and I kick myself for not having it and wish it could be retrofitted.Gromits advice on specing up an SE and comparing it to other variant is good advice too.If you end up ordering a S-line,just make sure that the suspension specified is the standard one and not the S-line suspension as they are pretty hard, especially on 19-inch wheels. I would go for 18-inch or even 17-inch if possible for comfort as Gromit has said.The SD based sat nav is a bit 'meh' to be honest and there are plenty of threads on this forum about it. I have the HD MMI one but I still use my TomTom as its a lot better for traffic management updates and has speed camera alerts as well (which all Audi sat navs donthave). Also updating the maps is a lot cheaper. So personally unless you need a built in sat nav in the car, I'd put the money towards other options and just purchase a TomTom (other brands are available
). I know that setting up and putting away a sat nav each time in the car can be a hassle.The sunroof is a nice option but a little pricey in my opinion but lets light into the dark cabin. The power boot and front sensors are useful. I'm not a fan of privacy glass for its looks and especially due to the already dark interior, but that'sjust a personal opinion.Good luck and I hope this thread has helped.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Agree with most of above, but bearing in mind your good ladies needs I think the SE with the standard seats would be the most comfy and easy ingress/egress if mobility is a problem, I'd also specify the reversing camera for ease of parking. If possible go for the 17" wheels for the best ride comfort (I have 18" standard wheels and when I fit the Winter 17" set, which I did on Friday the ride difference is marked).

Not sure on the trim colours now but when I bought mine if you wanted a lighter interior the SE was the only option otherwise everything is coal cellar black

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Oh yes and if fiddling with keys is an issue the Keyless entry is an excellent option, keys in bag/pocket and they stay there from leaving your house until return, so easy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Your glazed over eyes might extend to a glazed over brain as well because Audi have changed some model names and you may not recognise some of the models previously referred to!
Sport (17" Wheels, standard seats available in leather) - was an SE
S line Edition (18" Wheels, sports seats only) - was an S Line Navigation was an S line.
Black Edition (19" Wheels, Privacy Glass) - was S Line Plus.
That aside, I can only echo what the guys have told you but with a few minor personal preferences.
I've got the excellent 1.4 TFSI engine but with a manual box. I do most of the driving now we only have one car. I just love to drive through the gears but I did a test drive with an S Tronic and can confirm it's silky smooth.
All Q3s come with Sat Nav now as standard and as I really only use mine for holiday trips the SD based system is fine. As is the standard interior lighting IMO. I spend no time at all in the stationary car at night (steady Gromit) so all I want is a light to help me get in or out and I don't need to pay extra for cosmetic LEDs for that. However, LED lighting does come into it's own for the Exterior lighting. I highly recommend the LED headlights which are fantastic. My wife has RA and so the power operated tailgate is a big plus. Cameras are over rated IMO and we really like the Parking System Plus which adds front parking sensors. IMO the S line Edition Spec is pretty **** good straight out of the box!
However, thinking about your requirements I would take Gromit's advice and spec up an SE to an S line Edition Spec (+ auto headlights) then compare prices but remembering the seats (if you want non-sport for ease of entry/exit) and 17" wheels then Sport is the model for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brilliant! Thank you guys. So our test drive is now booked for Saturday and what I'm looking at is:
-Automatic 1.4 TFSI (from all the very helpful comments, makes sense now that the 4wd and 2.0 options aren't necessary).
-Check seats for comfort. She may need the harder sports seats over the standard (possibly).
-Wheels - I'll go for 17". Looks aren't important but comfort is. If I end up choosing the S line then i'll go for the standard suspension settings.
-Heated seats. Are a must but look to be standard across the range.-Sat nav - will weigh up pros and cons of this but might go for sunroof instead.
OPTIONAL-LED interior light pack.-Folding mirrors (assuming these open and close automatically when the car is switched on/off? otherwise realistically it probably wont get used!).-Sunroof.-Power boot.-Keyless entry (wicked!)-Auto headlights - LED ones.

Thank you kindly for all the feedback! I will keep the thread updated and if any further suggestions then please do share. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
zishan555, a lot to take in but:
Standard versus Sport Seats - The issue could possibly be more about flat squabs versus raised squabs than it is about soft or hard.
Sat Nav versus Sun Roof - They all come with the SD Sat Nav now so that's a no contest (Unless you're thinking of standing up in the passenger's seat and navigating like a Tank Commander
)
Folding Mirrors by Ignition - Not from the factory but it can be coded in but not officially by Audi. (It has been reported on here of an instance of somebody having it done and the motors burn't out on a very frosty morning!)
Enjoy your test drive and one last (I promise) piece of advice, spec up your car on Carwow, print it off and take it with you in case "just going for a test drive" turns into something else.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Good points from Andy P, especially regarding the seats as it is not the hardness but the ease of ingress/egress the standard seats offer over the sports seat design.
Folding mirrors? I have them and almost NEVER use them, but if you have a specific requirement for them (narrow garage or busy road parking) as above they can be "coded" unofficially to fold automatically.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I agree about the seats. The firmness of the seats are similar between the sport and standard seats. Its the side bolsters on the bucket seats that annoy me as they tend to pinch your thighs, especially getting in and out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Good advice about the seats. The standard seats definitely provide easier ingress/egress as the side supports are more yielding and less obtrusive....

...mind you, if your good lady likes her bottom pinched every time she climbs in, go for the Sports seats by all means.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update.
Firstly thank you for all the suggestions and help above. Things actually turned out quite interestingly.
We had an appointment with one of their motobility team and went through our background and needs. After checking out the seats again, it was standard that we wanted along with the other things previously mentioned.
We sat down to discuss and he quickly explained that the waiting list would be about four months. That was a big surprise and not expected as this is our first time on motobility and had an expectation from the literature that it would be about 4-6 weeks tops, especially from a massive place like watford audi.
That left us scratching our heads a bit but he said the other option is a recent cancellation of a Q3 that was automatic and 1.4 and fortunately was in blue which is the colour we had decided looked best.
So a lot of the discussion about options went out the window at that point as basically it meant we could have that virtuatlly straight away vs waiting four months and that wasn't really practical for us so we went for it.
We discussed heated seats and satnav but the cost of getting these fitted effectively after market is a LOT higher than buying them as part of the initial package. Eg heated seats would be a couple of hundred if specced out but something like £900 if bought after.
Since the seats were right and the wheels were standard and parking sensors came as standard then that kind of ticked enough boxes and then the colour was a biggie and the wait time obviously a huge factor so we went for it!
That was on the weekend and we arranged to pick up on the Wednesday but mainly because it would be ready then with a kind of loose agreement that if it came to picking it up on the following weekend we might leave it a few days. Afterwards on the tuesday we got a very aggressive phone call from the sames sales chap that had been all smiles and light beforehand demanding we arrange to pick it up on the next day. In his own words he said he wanted the car gone. My wife was a bit shaken after speaking to him so let me know and I called him to say chill, we will come get the car wednesday. It wasn't practical then but to avoid drama we shifted everythign and got there a few minutes before closing time so we could sort out the sale. he casually mentioend it was the last day of the month so needed it sorted that day. We'd already paid the deposit but obviously was following his own sales team rules. I left it as didn't want any further drama and just wanted to take the car and be gone. He was really helpful with sorting us out understanding all teh controls and everything but really not the sort of people I'd ever want to do business with again.
We umm'd and aah'd afterwards but I convinced the mrs to log a complaint with motobility who responded very well and had asked for an explanation from audi who didn't respond to them or to us and still haven't which is just odd.
So the experience was a mixture of ok and then really poor.
The car itself is fine. I've driven good hondas, toyotas and a mixture of others and now have a lexus rx400h and the brand new Q3 seems pretty much alright. Nothing amazing, performs adequately and appropriately, does what you'd expect of it. More importantly though, the wife LOVES it, it's proprely shiny shiny and does exactly what she needs so we're sorted for the next 3 years at least. :)
Jobs a good'un.
Thanks again all!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Complain directly to audi Uk and copy Watford Audi in as well. I was told that sales persons are fined for poor performance. You shoukd get a questionnaire to complete and make sure to score how you feel. These type of sales folk shoukd learn customer service skills ans not be focused purely on end of month sales.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Agreed. That salesdroid is an arsehole and should be treated as such. Effectively bullying you into taking the car at a time convenient to him, not you, is an appallingly bad thing to do and sales personnel have been fired for it. The aforementioned arsehole treated you with no respect whatever - in fact total contempt - despite the fact that without customers he has no income.

Send a detailed report to the Dealer Principal, copied to the Sales Manager, pronto. You don't have to take that sort of sh*t from anybody, let alone someone handling the sale of a £30K item.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts