Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I plunge, just checking there is no reason not to go for the Technik_sales update.

I’m sure that’s cheaper than it was a while ago but £60 is more than fine now we are actually going somewhere….Worcestershire for a week. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
From the SE to Worcestershire, you'll need a passport up here! Which week are you up David?

The Map update sounds OK, make sure you get installation instructions.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it’s the one you recommended before John, hence my bookmarking it.
I will need all the instructions!!

I bought a 2 year sim card a month ago and put it in and it seems to imply it’s activated already as it shows 02 on the screen but I didn’t do anything myself, which seemed contradictory as I think it implied it needed doing. I haven’t used the nav as we’ve only been local. Any thoughts?

We arrive a fortnight today….just west of the Malvern Hills.
Already enquired about a Morgan factory tour one day but drew the line at £150 for an hour’s accompanied drive.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
So the 15th - we can meet up that week if you'd like?

SIM card - depends what you bought, some are pre-loaded with a data allowance but only last for 1 month when activated, others will last a year. The ones I used to buy came from 3 and lasted for a year (or until the data was consumed).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
In that case you are good to go! I think 3 hope you'll sign up for a contract but of course you won't, you'll just buy another card. Do you get the second signal strength indicator next to the mobile phone one?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.
I haven't a clue what is displayed as it was a few weeks ago that I stuck it in and we don’t get any indoor or by the house mobile signal round here anyway. We have to use wifi calling at home and I have just changed from 3 to O2 for my phone as their coverage is less poor but still rubbish.

I’ll run through it all again once I get the nav update installed. I have just messaged them to confirm I’m doing the correct stuff even though it is obvious…this stuff is stretching my diagnostic level but I can follow decent instructions (they are included).

I can take the car through to the back garden so I can plug my battery conditioner/charger to the jump start connectors out of the public gaze.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sim definitely the in car one.
Just waiting for Technik to come back and confirm my car and then I’ll order the update set.
We’ll still navigate the back road way to Malvern by good old map as my wife enjoys the brainwork and she can spot suitable interesting diversions.

If I just have the map showing but no route set and the traffic info connected, will that show traffic conditions in the area? I wouldn’t need nav or map for the first 30% or so of the journey anyway.

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
578 Posts
If you have the traffic overlay on the map then yes the major roads will be highlighted as long as your audi subscription is active

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that the Sim or something else Ju? As above, it is a 24 month / 24Gb 3 mobile sim and shows on the bottom of the screen as being connected.
I am a bit of a nav numpty beyond google maps as I use it so infrequently and this MMI is a step even further into the mysteries.
Reading the manual (which I will do…promise) isn’t the same as actually using it but I am mothballing the car for a week to keep my petrol level prior to the trip.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
David - have you subscribed to the Audi connect service? Audi used to provide the Google traffic data for free after the initial Warranty period expired, just required a visit to a dealer every year or so to keep it enabled. Eventually the MyAudi app matured to the point where they could charge for it (fair enough because Google charge for it too). With the data SIM active and a live subscription you'll get the real-time traffic data overlays.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a code from Audi connect when I set it up on my iphone and ipad but I hadn’t found where to enter it into the MMI…..BUT….I think I have now found it on P63 - logging in to my Audi in the vehicle.
Please excuse my apparent stupidity but do I have to pay for the sim and then pay Audi/google for the live subscription on top of that?

Just having a cuppa so will pop out try the connect code shortly.

Reading the manual, when I put the sim card in, I didn’t have to enter any codes, it connected on its own and shows signal bars and 3G. Is that right?

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's a separate charge to Audi as John says, mine is due for renewal next week @ £44 for the year.
If you have the myaudi app set up properly you can do it all through there
Product Font Screenshot Logo Advertising

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Ju.

I have had enough of this cr*p. :mad: What a ludicrous situation as I don’t think I‘m that stupid.

The MMI seems to imply that everything is set up but says my licence has expired. Do I have to drive round in circles during a petrol drought to find some traffic problems to see if it’s working?

I can’t finalise registration through my email address as it’s a ‘free’ one so have to rely on our dreadful mobile signal and now the My Audi app has frozen in mid search.

I’m certainly not paying around £68 a year plus £60 for up to date mapping and I shouldn’t have to go to a dealer to sort it out that I didn’t buy the car from. I rarely use nav…maybe up to 20 times a year.

Is the nav not properly usable without the licence or is that just for the traffic info?

At this rate, I’ll just pay £8 for a cd slot phone holder and use my iphone with traffic info for free.

Anyone want to buy a 2 year 24Gb mobile only sim card for a discounted price?

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
578 Posts
It seems odd that your struggling to get everything setup as I didn't have any issues.
This is what I did when I first got the car.

I setup the myaudi app on my phone and then called into my local dealer and got them to make me the owner on their system.
I had a working sim card that I removed from my previous car which I put into the sim slot and setup the data connection settings for the network (vodafone) in the MMI.
Once that was done I put the connect code from the Myaudi app into the MMI (I can't remember where that was) and that was that.
All I then needed was an active subscription for the connect services which at the time was free from Audi. That was obtained by email but you now just pay through the app.
The nav will work fine without a sim card or subscription but you'll just get the TMC traffic data which is very basic in comparison to the online traffic which is derived from mobile phone data.
It does seem that you are almost there with the setup and it would be a shame for the sake of £44 not to have online traffic but ultimately it is another expense.
I've just renewed mine and I don't need it!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again. It’s this apparent half and half situation that is bugging me.
I haven’t been to a dealer so that may be part of the problem but, even when I had an ABS warning in my Q3, they wouldn’t look at it for 3 weeks!!

Maybe rhetorical but, does the dealer link need to be done before I can enter the My Audi PIN, which I have had since I first set it up. The log in option doesn’t show on the MMI setup when I go by the manual. This is why I am getting so frustrated.

I’ll have to keep apologising or being useless but what is the difference between basic traffic data and online traffic info? If the basic just tells me there is an issue but no detail, that will do me as I can just cross check on my phone.

I know it’s peanuts financially but this just seems a rip off, particularly for a low user. Most of the places I go, I know how to get to and, say on holiday, it’s usually only the last mile or so that nav is useful.

I have probably asked before, but if I use my iphone and bluetooth, will it show the route guidance etc on the MMI screen and dashboard?

SUPPLEMENTARY
I am in an anti car mood today as it looks like the mate who refitted my boot panels has disconnected the tailgate wiring (apart from the high level brake lights) so only the bumper ones are operating, as though the tailgate was open.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
:rolleyes:
My brain hurts.
I have sat in the car for another 10 minutes….
If i go into nav, I can get the various searched, which include the nearest fuel stations and prices and, interestingly, doesn’t show nearer ones that reputedly have limited or no fuel at the moment. Does that mean something’s actually connected and working.

I have linked my phone to the MMI but not tried calling due to previously mentioned lack of signal around here.

I tried connecting my phone to see if google maps will display but that doesn’t seem possible BUT what is the little black box in the bottom of the armrest cubby with a single outlet and an apple connector on the end? Is that purely for charging or is it an interface? If the latter, what does it do as I can’t find anything to make something happen. The outlet isn’t the same as the multi outlet shown in the 2017 MMI manual that came with the car and I can find nothing about it as I don’t know what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Blimey and I thought I was a descendant of Victor Meldrew - we might be brothers??

To expand on Ju's summary:

Traffic data tech:

Basic - TMC - Traffic Message Channel
, the original, crude and bordering on useless traffic data derived from those cameras you see hanging of bridges along with telemetry data from National Express coaches and Eddie Stobart trucks transmitted to your car as an encoded data steam using the Classic FM frequency. Useless because its historical - by the time the data sources have been combined and transmitted to your car the incidents have probably been cleared and others that are about to spoil your day haven't been processed. :(

Audi Connect - Google Traffic data is the next generation of traffic data and is integrated into your RS' navigation system. Google track all Android mobile phone movements anonymously and with north of 85% market share that is vast number of data nodes all moving around the road networks. Google analyse the data is real-time and publish it electronically so you can see traffic hold-ups, slow moving or stationary traffic, road closures etc. The Audi 3GMMI High system you have can also see the data and dynamically incorporate it into your route planning including changing your route mid journey to avoid a hold up or delay, whilst updating your ETA all in Real-time.

I'm not understating this when I say one only ignores the system recommendation once because it is uncannily accurate.

Just as was the case with the 8U RSQ3 where the 1st three years subscription was included when the car was new, the next gen F3 Q3 is also endowed with 3 years worth of data for free (and in the F3s case the data SIM is part of the car by default), once the three years are up it needs paying for.

Reactions: -Ju- and DavidS

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bah humbug!
At least I had a nice beer and some mussels in white wine for lunch.

Intermediate decision.
1. Buy a cd slot phone holder and connect my iphone to a usb outlet and run google maps for our holiday driving.
2. Run the Audi nav in parallel for comparison purposes.

After that, either stick with google maps and phone for the rare occasions I use nav but maybe buy the map updates anyway, just to keep the car up to date.

If I stick with the above, A sim card will be for sale cheap as I’m not paying for the sim and Audi Connect every year to get me to where I‘m going if Mr Google will do it perfectly well for nothing. All I’ll seem to miss out on is the mini display between speedo and rev counter.

Thanks for putting up with Meldrew 2, but these layers of complexity are what put me off post 2010 cars and bikes.

Our basic Suzuki Vitara rental car in South Africa automatically linked my iphone to the biggish nav screen so it’s not rocket science.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Dear fellow 'Meldrew...

So the Suzuki had Apple Car Play/Android Auto (found in the F3) where there are bunch of Apps that are replicated to the car's dash display - next Generation tech.

Personally, I get grumpy if there's something in my line of sight that isn't fully functional - even if I don't have the need to use it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts