Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks so much. so correct me if i am wrong. if i get the data sim on amazon i will be able to get google maps on the mmi. if so what about waze. sorry but i am stupid.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
No worries Paul. Waze is a smart phone app, you will not be able to get that displayed on the Q3's screen. Although the navigation system user interface is a bit clunky on the Q3, with Google real time traffic updates it is actually very good. If system tells you to say, exit, at motorway junction then ignore it at your peril - it is uncannily accurate.

This thread has referenced aftermarket screen upgrades to get Car Play/Android Auto - there don't seem to be any screen upgrades for our 3G MMI versions.

·
Registered
426 Posts
John... I can't get where I stand corrected because probably my fault was to assume the Q3 8U MMI 3G is capable of making a data connection through rSAP which it probably isn't, otherwise the data SIM option fitted unit would be rendered pretty much pointless.

Se we all know rSAP is using short-range low-energy RF (Bluetooth) to "expose" the SIM car to the car electronics. At that point the car is able to use the SIM pretty much like if it were fitted directly on the MMI unit. So you get a better reception because the cell tower connection is handled through the car aerial.

I have no idea what the MMI is able to do with that SIM card but, thinking of it as of RIGHT NOW... I am also considering it'd be pointless to establish a data connection that would completely detract from the sales of the more powerful SIM slot fitted unit. What I know is that if the data connection is already handled from the car (let's say it does) you can't have another one from the phone (from the same SIM card, unless you have a second SIM inside a double-SIM phone). So even if the car can be connected, the Internet connection cannot be redistributed to Wi-Fi clients.

Basically I am saying that as things stand with the old MMI 3G the rSAP connection apart from sparing you some RF irroration inside the cockpit and getting you a better reception is a big user screw up. Am I wrong ?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've got a headache coming on...

The SIM slot is one of two methods that the Q3 can get a data connection with the internet - albeit limited to 3G as that's a hardware in the car limitation (less powerful then?). The SIM in the car can provide a data connection, and, optionally a connection for voice calls. Most people, myself included just use it for data.

As you have noted rSAP is a Bluetooth feature where a suitably equipped mobile phone (basically Android only) can use the 'phones cellular connection (which could be say 4G) and exchange data with the car using Bluetooth as well as process voice calls in the 'Bluetooth Handsfree Profile' - which doesn't need rSAP. I've never conclusively proved that an rSAP connected phone uses the car's roof aerial too - I suspect not. The Wifi hotspot feature isn't something I've ever extensively explored - no kids, solo driver most of the time.

Audi had to add the separate SIM slot feature really just for Apple iPhone users as those devices don't support the bits of the Bluetooth protocol stack needed for rSAP .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Tbh initially I was just wondering if... should I ever get an MMI 3G+ with a data SIM slot would I be able to use the Wi-Fi hotspot of the MMI to distribute the connection to onboard mobile devices.

At this point I've already moved on anyway because of the limitations (read: obsolescence) of the system. I appreciate it as an offline navi/radio/stereo, but... all things connected go through my separate hotspot device and I am pretty happy with this config.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hia all

Im new here but not to Audis, had far too many of them over the years...

I bought my current Audi only a few weeks ago with 2000 miles on the clock, from an Audi dealer, 2018 Q3 (one of the run outs of the old 8U), its a black editions fitted with a BOSE system.

The only thing is dislike, is the pitiful small screen on the MMI, is there anyway of getting a bigger screen to fit in its place, not worried if its not retractable, just want a better definition and bigger screen.

Ant help if appreciated.

Regards

Ringo
Hi how do you find the q3 have you had any issues with it as I'm thinking of getting a black edition myself

41 - 46 of 46 Posts