Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

MMI display screen upgrade

30K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  ukq3guy 
#1 ·
Hia all

Im new here but not to Audis, had far too many of them over the years...

I bought my current Audi only a few weeks ago with 2000 miles on the clock, from an Audi dealer, 2018 Q3 (one of the run outs of the old 8U), its a black editions fitted with a BOSE system.

The only thing is dislike, is the pitiful small screen on the MMI, is there anyway of getting a bigger screen to fit in its place, not worried if its not retractable, just want a better definition and bigger screen.

Ant help if appreciated.

Regards

Ringo

#3 ·
Kostas

Thanks for your note, ive looked at the 8" Chinese option, just not sure about it, how good is it, and does it interface with my Bose system.....

Looks like I will just have to put up with the small screen....Ive been spoilt by the nice screen I have in my company BMW..

Regards

Ringo

#4 ·
You can try to retrofit an MMI 3G then. You can find spare parts on internet, if you are lucky you can pay total of 600-700€, just be patient to collect cheap parts. I have till now the rear boot unit and screen bought for 130.. Need cable and MMI 3G unit only to retrofit

#7 ·
Hi kostas
I'm planning the same upgrade so will look forward to any hints and tips on the installation.
I assume the complete system needs to be installed, then Component Protection removed before it can be coded and tested

Cheers Spike

#8 ·
Yes complete system must be installed to remove component protection. If you don't have Vas5054 cable, it's better to buy a good clone and find someone to remove CP at your home without need of dealer. About same price and you have the vas5054 to flash factory newer firmware on modules

I have already tried Remote CP Removal when retrofitting color tacho and RMC Nav Plus..

#9 ·
I finally ordered the RSNAV unit, after my research, it seems the best as value for money and quality. Fully integrated to car, even PDC shows as overlay on camera image. Much cheaper than MMI 3G and you only replace the LCD module, no other extra units. The good think is that it gets updates to newer Android version, now it's on 7.1.

I will post a review after I receive it

#10 ·
Have you received the unit yet. I am looking to get one of these units for the bigger screen but not sure as they seem to be the same ones made by Avin/Ugode. etc and they seem to come with a lot of problems, these units have Android 8 and are still causing many many problems on the BMW fitment but I think the innards are the same whatever platform you choose.

#13 ·
Hi Kostas,
I contacted RSNAV regarding the fitment and compatibility of these units.
The reply was somewhat misleading, they say if sat nav is fitted to the car already these units are not compatible, however they show pics of the unit where it is compatible and my device is shown. I explained that the sat nav is not the HDD system but fitted to a SD card like all Audi without tech pack and is actually just coded to be switched on. They say that their system is not compatible so in actual fact it will not fit the Q3 brand really confused as I would have purchased one of these units as it can play video files also I believe.

#14 ·
After my research, I understood that when they say that this unit works only to cars without factory navigation, they mean without MMI 3G unit that most wiring is on boot. With RMC, every wire is in front of the car and whatever audio in module you have, AUX-IX or AMI, you can use sound, if you have AMI, you just connect AMI Aux-in cable and voila :tango_face_wink: The main difference of cars with RMC without navigation and RMC with navigation, is that with navigtaion you get AMI interface. I have asked many sellers on sites, forum and many told me that with AMI and aux-in cable, you can have sound if you select MEDIA button and Source AUX-IN. I don't care about sound actually, because I just need android to use specific apps for my car, but I'm sure it will work. Even if it doesn;t work, it guaranteed that using the audio-out of that unit, you can connect to AMI RCA-in or a converter RCA to 3.5mm to connect to AUX-IN, you hace many options to have sound.

The basic point for me is that with less money, you have a good quallity unit with real supported updates and an HD 8" LCD with touch, I prefer that unit instead of installing MMI 3G that may cost 1.000euro more at least.

But..I'm just waiting to receive unit to be sure my research and findings were as thought :tango_face_grin:

#15 ·
Finally received RSNAV unit. Quality is very good, wifi 4g modem/sim integrated. Everything works ok, even rear view camera with factory pdc display as overlay. As I thought before buying, sound works on cars with factory SD card navigation and RMC units, even with AMI interface when you plug AUX-in adapter. Car menu is accessible and all options of it

#16 ·
Well that is great news and will you be showing a couple of pics on how it was fitted and the finished article.
I have been in touch with Daniel and cant get any real answers so can you answer a few questions.
Does this unit play video from its own interface.
Is the quality of sound good.
what other enhancements does this unit give you. Does the screen fold flat or is it upright all the time.
What size is the actual screen

A different unit is now being sold in the uk which I believe is more expensive but has UK Warranty 2 years and 24 hour helpline so I am looking at possibilities, however if yours is working and you find it ok I may just go for that one.

Thanks

#17 ·
Not sure if it's the actual screen but there is an installation guide on youtube -

Also noted on the RSNAV web site the do an optional 360 deg birds eye view 4 camera system for the Q3

Cheers Spike

#18 ·
I haven't yet tested if it plays video from it's own interface, but I'm sure it will. I has integrated MX Player on interface so every extension supported will be played for sure. I have factory navigation with AMI and sound works ok, didn't have time checking quality, but hte little I tested quality is very good and loud. Factory interface is fully supported, LC case trim is excellent quality, not just plastic, screen is high quality 8" with 1024x600 resolution. The only negative thing about screen is it's gloss finish. Works like a mirror and on daylight is not much clear.

The fact that I like everything fitted in detail and like factory, on 5F module, there is an error because voltage cable that was connected on factory LCD now isn't connected somewhere. I'm trying to figure out how to correct it, maybe by connecting a resistance, but I don't know what is the LCD's resistance, if anyone know or can calculate resistance?

About installation, air vetn removal is very easy, inside the vent, on left and right side, there are two holes, you put there a metal clip and put it out. Then there is a screw inside to remove and you can remove the screen. But you need to have plenty of time to install it, must be patient. I removed glove box to fix the wires. Fitting is easy, but need to remove much trim.

For information, I have also installed the Rearview camera, on reverse you can see rearview and factory PDC as overlay on screen, I have also installed front camera on mirror which is connected on Video-in of unit

#21 ·
The fact that I like everything fitted in detail and like factory, on 5F module, there is an error because voltage cable that was connected on factory LCD now isn't connected somewhere. I'm trying to figure out how to correct it, maybe by connecting a resistance, but I don't know what is the LCD's resistance, if anyone know or can calculate resistance?

Could you rig up a test lead so you can use a multi meter to measure the current (amps) while the screen is powered up.
Then use the formulae R (resisance) = V (volts) / I (amps)

Voltage will be a nominal !2V so its just a case of dividing it by the measured Amps to get the Resistance

While I'm writing this, I'm thinking Kostas is way smarter than me on all things electronic and he'll know this already. On the other hand, if you're like me, sometimes I miss the basic things while the brain looks for a more complex answer

Cheers Spike

#30 ·
I used a multimeter to count Ohm in two wires that are connected to LCD, it's about 1900 Ohm, but I don;t knwo if it's normal

I'll see

Ref the wiring diagms in this previous post - https://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/67873-post17.html

It looks like fuse SC31 provides a direct 12v feed to the screen but the earth seems to be via one of the linked modules making it difficult to know what resistance (ohms) you are measuring.
If you pull the fuse and use your meter to check current flow when the screen is on, that should give an accurate amps reading to use in the formulae we discussed previously.
Just make sure your meter can handle at least 10 amps through current

Cheers Spike

#26 ·
The most important thing for me, is that unit immediately boots after 3sec and it's rear view camera work even if you put reverse at first second. Factory menu is accssible also after 1-2 sec and unit remembers last screen used before switch off car, last screen means factory menu or Android menu.

The fact is that it works both on cars with AUX or AMI that also have factory navigation enabled (like mine), on AMI you just need to buy AMI AUX-In cable and after that, on MEDIA menu you choose AUX-In to have sound from Android unit, I risk it and it worked. Other factory options work like factory, RADIO, NAVI etc.

So when they say that these units work only on cars without factory navigation, they mean that it doesn't work on cars with MMI 3G that has the radio unit on boot.

The only "problem" is the error of missing factory LCD, that I must find a solution when I find some time. There is 12V on one cable but I don't know if that cable is power and the other just diagnostic and not ground, which means it can't be connected using resistance...

Solution is a challenge

#27 ·
Kostas, A very neat job looks really impressive and certainly doesn't look aftermarket well done.
Now the questions, I have a Q3 and haven't got a clue as to what system is fitted, it looks the same as yours as it has the SD card for Nav. it has a display screen that pops up and is approx. 6.5 inches so is my system MMI 3G, it has no way of connecting to internet only Bluetooth for phone. or is the system AMI and needs the cable? how do I tell the difference?. Did you fit an aftermarket reverse cam or was yours already fitted?.

Does the screen look much bigger as it seems to fit in the original aperture.

My main use would be to play video, use google maps no music streaming or stuff like that do you think this is a worthwhile upgrade?.

Thanks
Harry

#28 ·
Hello Harry,

you have MMI RMC for sure, if you had MMI 3G, you would have the high resolution 7" lcd display. If your car has the AUX-in port, then nothing is needed and you only choose media source AUX-In from radio, if you have AMI, you will need an extra cable AMI to AUX, from Ebay you may find it at 5-10 euro. I bought an aftermarket camera with the RSNAV unit, adds extra 20$ and replaces my factory boot handle without any modification. I will put photo later.

screen is of course bigger, it seems to be also, because there are no bezes around the screen so it's 8" HD resolution. For me it worths the upgrade, even if i have the factory navigation. I like gadgets..it's more that a gadget to me.
I used to play videos using AMI port and my iPod, so it was just an option upgrade with android and better resolution screen

#29 ·
Hello Kostas
Thanks for the info it is much appreciated I believe now I have RMC now. In the armrest compartment there is a plug in there this must be the interface you are referring to, there are no cables. Is this the Aux port you are relating too? I take it that the Audi sat nav works ok on the larger screen

Thanks again for your help

Harry

#36 ·
You have 3G MMI - it's actually quite a clever bit of technology. Was developed by Becker-Kardon I recall back in 2008/9, the hardware contains two Nvidia Tegra processors - one takes care of the car systems displays and the other looks after the navigation. In 3D mode the navigation system will render terrain in 3d as well as major landmarks, in major city centres the buildings can be rendered in 3D. The SIM card slot (or an Android phone connected using rSAP) will give you real time traffic updates (based on the real-time movements of Android phones - 85% market share globally means a lot of data points) and Google map overlays. The system can play DVDs for full motion movies as well as being able to play movies from an SD card.

#38 ·
Apple CarPlay - no that came on the next generation of MMI systems and even then it was almost unusably poor (in either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto mode) as the user interface wasn't the same as the rest of the car - counter-intuitive would be polite. I haven't played with the latest 2019 Q3 versions to see if it's improved any beyond the 1st feeble attempt.

I'm in the Android camp and have my Galaxy S10 connected as a Bluetooth audio source (I subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited) and with the Alexa app installed on my phone I can access the music library using voice commands. I've heard of at least one iPhone user doing exactly the same thing - so I assume you can get Alexa on Apple iOS?

Google Maps - get yourself a data SIM card (full sized) I'm using a 12 month one from 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J1KI9AW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When it expires just bin it and buy another...

#39 ·
You can't pass on the Wi-Fi signal to the MMI but you can however use the integrated data modem and roof antenna to connect the Q3 to the Internet using a SIM card.

Using the rSAP mode on your device will release all the RF cell tower connections of the phone to the car electronics, meaning you won't be able to use your phone for anything because for my knowledge the access point provided by the MMI is only there to allow media sharing, not give Wi-Fi to passengers (correct me if I am wrong).

#40 ·
I'll have to correct you there m80 - the rSAP (Remote SIM access profile) is Bluetooth (so short range wireless data comms) profile capability related rather than 'Wireless' in the long-range celluar connection context. It's a mute point as Apple for reasons best known to themselves decided that adopting all of the Bluetooth protocol stack wasn't for them so an iPhone won't support the technology most Android users are oblivious to having as standard.

So with rSAP you can simultaneously - receive/make voice calls and have a data connection...in fact the data-download stops if you are using the phone - you'll only ever know because the Google map tiles aren't refreshed on a long phone conversation. rSAP isn't without it's faults in that if your phone receives a text message whilst connected it will only ever be shown in the car even though it's actually residing in the phone...yeah that's pants too and for that reason I'd recommend the 12 month data SIM path as the way to go and this supports having a Wifi hotspot for passengers as well.

#42 ·
No worries Paul. Waze is a smart phone app, you will not be able to get that displayed on the Q3's screen. Although the navigation system user interface is a bit clunky on the Q3, with Google real time traffic updates it is actually very good. If system tells you to say, exit, at motorway junction then ignore it at your peril - it is uncannily accurate.

This thread has referenced aftermarket screen upgrades to get Car Play/Android Auto - there don't seem to be any screen upgrades for our 3G MMI versions.