Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my Q3 I plugged in the iPhone 4 MMI cable and used the adapters for iPhone 5 and its not working.
Has anyone had the same issue? It charges my iPhone but won't connect it. Only via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Jewelshogg, I've had exactly the same problem connecting my iPhone 4 and had given up and was hoping it would be sorted when I get the 5 but obviously not!
I' ve tried rebooting it, hard reset and complete restore all without success. I would be interested too for a solution!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the cable my dealer gave me, plugged in my iphone 5 adapter and it seems to work fine although to be honest I rarely bother now other than when I need to charge. Just use bluetooth for calls and hard drive for music. Just checked it now though and all is fine. Maybe it's the cable. I know the mini (my wife has one) can be very cable specific.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As I know, only original Apple brand adapters work for audio and/or other connections. Others only charge the phone (only iPhone 5) But I'm not 100% sure because I haven't used my i5 on MMI yet (except for bluetooth connection which is perfectly fine). I have both original adapter plus MMI cable and I'll try this when I get in the car this evening.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I gave up trying to get my iphone5 working, i picked up a second hand 60Gb iPod and leave it connected all the time
Every so often i sync with iTunes for any new music i get, screen lights up and shows the Audi logo when connected. Bit of a hassle to plug in the phone everytime you're in the car when a larger capacity ipod can be had for a few quid on ebay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have no problem connecting my iPhone 5 to MMI with AUDI cable (the one with red ring who allow to see a small CD jacket picture on the screen) and original Apple adaptor...

I also use Coyote alert system who is using the native car audio system when iPhone connected with cable.

Edited by: filparis15

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys: I had the same issue on my A4 avant. What i had to do is with my iphone5:
1) buy the original apple cable (old iphones to iphone 5 adapter) called lightening adapter in the apple store. (It seems cheap cables do not work with music or charge),
2) plug into the audi mmi cable
3) if it does not work at this time unplug and plug again this apple adapter on the audi mmi cable to the iPhone5
...worked for me in the a4...
Curious to know what happened. Pls let me know...

·
Registered
55 Posts
< ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0" ="text/">
Having got my Q3 in October and using a 4S with it I have had no trouble at all. However, now I have a 5C and whilst the Bluetooth streaming seems to be okay, I have switched over the MMI cable to the one with the USB plug and now I have a problem.Using the original Apple supplied charging cable plugged into the USB socket the phone will not charge or connect to the car - I guess I will have to buy the £25.00 30 pin to Lightning adapter to plug into the original MMI cable?Frustrated is not the word!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
As far as I know I could only manage to work my iphone 5s / 5 and 4s (tested already) in the apple lightening cable (apple issue, not Audi!).

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm a total ignoramus with regard to phones etc . We currently have a basic Samsung that works just fine with Bluetooth in the car. We don't have music etc - just for calls. We are considering getting an iPhone 4S in a few months (we need a bigger screen and our daughter thinks this will be best for us !!!). This thread sounds like gobbledygook to me - will an iPhone 4S work easily with Bluetooth and how will the phone charge ??? In very simple words please :) :) :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Bambi, I use an iPhone 4, with no probs. they have the same adaptor so I would see no issue with the 4s. I bought the iPhone cable from Audi for £36, sounds expensive but I can movies and everything on the mmi screen.

The cables come in two types a red and blue grommet, (basically a couloir on the end of the wire). Blue only allows music and audio to go to the MMI the red also allows videos and a picture of the album playing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Crem0 said:
Hi Bambi, I use an iPhone 4, with no probs. they have the same adaptor so I would see no issue with the 4s. I bought the iPhone cable from Audi for £36, sounds expensive but I can movies and everything on the mmi screen.

The cables come in two types a red and blue grommet, (basically a couloir on the end of the wire). Blue only allows music and audio to go to the MMI the red also allows videos and a picture of the album playing.

OK - thanks. Would I need the iPhone cable if I only want to charge the phone in the car ?? Not having bought the phone yet I don't know what it comes with. I don't think I got any Audi cables when we bought the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi

Glad I found this thread as was just about to post a question! I have just upgraded from a iPhone 4 to iPhone 5s and notice that the connection is different - typical!

I got the correct cable for the iPhone 4 with the car, so I suppose I need to buy another one for the iPhone 5?

Do I get this from audi or will any cable do?

Bambi you can have my cable if u r getting the iPhone 4 as don't need it now?
Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Deb960, you can get the 30pin to Lightning adapter for £25 from Currys, Argos, Apple etc and plug this into your current cable - did this last week and all is good now.

Only use the original Apple one though as the others will not work,

Hope this helps

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for the offer Deb960 - might take you up on the offer, but we are debating whether to buy one unlocked now or wait until our contract is up in April, so not sure when we will get the phone. Do we need the cable to charge the phone in the car ??

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry Bambi, just realised I didn't respond. The Audi cable from the mmi does charge the iPhone .

Better late than never

·
Registered
302 Posts
Crem0 said:
Sorry Bambi, just realised I didn't respond. The Audi cable from the mmi does charge the iPhone .

Better late than never

Thanks, Crem0
Just a pity that we didn't think of changing our phone when we got the car as we might have wangled a free cable from Audi

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi
I was gonna buy a new cable for the iPhone 5s but now heard I can listen to my music via Bluetooth? Is that right? So do I need to buy another cable or can just play music via Bluetooth and save myself some money?

If that the cae, then bambi u can have my cable as will be no good to me unless I can and have to buy an attachment to use to play music?

Help,please.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having similar problem with my i-phone 4. It still works via bluetooth but not the MMI system, although it had previously worked ok for a year or so. I don't understand why it suddenly stopped working - anyone have any ideas?M

1 - 20 of 22 Posts