Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just taken delivery of a new Q3 35tsi S line with a manual box. Ordered 23rd July and collected 10th Sept. I am very happy with the car so far. Couple of questions if I may please. There is no {on/off} option to activate Main Beam Assist contained within the Automatic Lights section in the MMI. I seem to feel that there should be one and that this spec car should indeed have that option included. According to the handbook and everything else that I have read, this has to be activated prior to the main beam assist being able to be utilised via the normal light switch stalk. Any Ideas any one please?
Also after starting up the car the Audi Pre Sense YELLOW warning light comes on and stays on until the car has travelled about 70 to 80 yards when it go's off and remains off until the next time the car is started up again. If the car is started up and stays stationary it does not go off at all. Is this "normal" behaviour ?
Can anybody through any light on these two "niggles" for me please. Many Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
The automatic main beam assist is only activated when the light selection switch is on Auto. Then, if you push the light stalk away from you it turns the automatic main beam assist on and if you push it again it turns it off. At the lower left of the instrument display it indicates if it is on or off. Unlike the older Q3 if you turn it on, it stays on all the time unless you turn it off. The Audi pre sense light stays on on the roof light and on the lower middle of the display until you do 20mph or more. If you start the car and don't move then these lights will stay on forever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The automatic main beam assist is only activated when the light selection switch is on Auto. Then, if you push the light stalk away from you it turns the automatic main beam assist on and if you push it again it turns it off. At the lower left of the instrument display it indicates if it is on or off. Unlike the older Q3 if you turn it on, it stays on all the time unless you turn it off. The Audi pre sense light stays on on the roof light and on the lower middle of the display until you do 20mph or more. If you start the car and don't move then these lights will stay on forever.
Hi mwcltd and many thanks for your input. According to the handbook and before you can actually turn main beam assist on via the light stalk as you state , you have to first "activate" it by turning it on in the mmi by going into Car ... Lights and Vision ....Automatic Headlights .......On / Off. This option is not showing up to allow me to actually activate it and therefor it will not turn on via the light stalk. Regarding Pre Sense can I ask you please what you mean by the "roof light" ? Take your point re the 20 mph I just thought that it might be a distance travelled thing, but as I no doubt I will have been going over 20 mph after 70 to 80 yards guess that speed not distance, may be the actual trigger that turns the warning light off. Guess it is calibrating its self maybe before actually becoming fully functional ? Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you sit in the car, to the lower right of the dash you will see three buttons. One for front fog lights, one for rear fog lights and one for lighting mode. Keep on pressing the lighting mode switch until "Auto" appears on the switch. Then the headlights will come on automatically and the automatic main beam will work when activated by you. In the mmi you can change when the automatic headlights come on. Above you in the middle of the car at the front there is a control panel with switches and lights. This is where the orange pre sense light is located.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi wcltd and thanks again for your response. I fully understand the working of the lights mode switch and how it must be in auto mode for the main beam assist to work correctly. However as I have said previously and as stated on page 51/52 of the manual "The main beam assist function must be activated on the MMI" before it will work. The option to do this is not visible on my mmi screen. The only option is the one that you have stated which relates too when the automatic head lights come on re the outside available ambient light conditions. I note that you have a top spec car with Matrix LED lights which is why yours could possibly not need it to be activated via MMI first. Mine has the standard LED s that come with the S Line spec.
Regarding your comments re the roof lights The Audi Pre Sense warning lights are shown on the Status Line in the instrument cluster along with any other relevant warning lights {Page 146/147} The lights contained within the Front roof interior light cluster {page 53} relate to the Emergency call system and the Front Courtesy lights. Again as your car is a much higher spec than mine yours may be different. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi IanQ, I have double checked with my manual and the Q3 and below the activation time there is a Main Beam Assist on/off option. I can only assume that the difference is because we have different headlight types. The only way of checking if it works is to drive the Q3 when its dusk/dark. The Pre-Sense LED next to the Seat Belt warning light is not mentioned in the manual. I have had the Q3 for about 10 weeks and I keep on finding new things. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi IanQ, I have double checked with my manual and the Q3 and below the activation time there is a Main Beam Assist on/off option. I can only assume that the difference is because we have different headlight types. The only way of checking if it works is to drive the Q3 when its dusk/dark. The Pre-Sense LED next to the Seat Belt warning light is not mentioned in the manual. I have had the Q3 for about 10 weeks and I keep on finding new things. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Hi mwcltd Thanks again. Have already tried the drive at night time test but it did not work no doubt due to the Main Beam Assist option no being turned on via the MMI. It may just be that this car spec is not meant to have that option available to it. I hope that somebody on here with the same spec as mine ie a 2020/21 35 Tfsi S Line with sound and comfort pack reads this and can confirm that for me in some way or an other and also may be able to help regarding the Audi Pre Sense warning light as well. Many Thanks again for you input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi mwcltd Thanks again. Have already tried the drive at night time test but it did not work no doubt due to the Main Beam Assist option no being turned on via the MMI. It may just be that this car spec is not meant to have that option available to it. I hope that somebody on here with the same spec as mine ie a 2020/21 35 Tfsi S Line with sound and comfort pack reads this and can confirm that for me in some way or an other and also may be able to help regarding the Audi Pre Sense warning light as well. Many Thanks again for you input.
I do have the same spec car apart from the Storage Pack.

Like you I do not have the option to enable the Main Beam Assist in the MMI and my understanding is that if it isn't there you don't have this facility. I had it in my previous Audi and do miss it.

However when I specced the new Q3 I was told it was not an available option and the only way to have it was to go for the top Vorsprung model which has it as part of the Vorsprung pack. I'm assuming it's all part of Audi's rationalisation of options and to try to pursuade potential purchasers into a higher, and pricier, model.

If anybody out there has the Q3 latest model (F3) and has managed to "retrofit" High Beam Assist it would be good to hear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Pganders Many thanks for your post. It seems like it is not a standard spec for our model.as I thought that it was. Regarding the other "niggle" that I have regarding the Audi Pre Sense yellow warning light that comes on at start up and stays on until I drive for 70 to 80 yds, as you state we both have basically the same cars, can I please ask if you have noticed this as well ??? Many Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Pganders Many thanks for your post. It seems like it is not a standard spec for our model.as I thought that it was. Regarding the other "niggle" that I have regarding the Audi Pre Sense yellow warning light that comes on at start up and stays on until I drive for 70 to 80 yds, as you state we both have basically the same cars, can I please ask if you have noticed this as well ??? Many Thanks again.
Hi again, yes I do get the Pre Sense warning light coming on for a short period then it goes out. Not sure if it's speed or distance related but haas always done it so I assume normal. Only difference is that mine is a white symbol and not yellow but I can't find an explanation for the difference in colour in the manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Again, Thanks for that, mine go's off, and stays off , after about 70/80 yds as I have said, but I do also think that it could be speed related also {or as well as ! }. I have also checked to find out the difference between White and Yellow but as you state there is no details in the manual as to what the differences are between the two. Normally yellow is associated with having a "bit more of a problem" then a white one. But you would think if that was the case it would be mentioned in the manual. Also it mentions in the manual that there may be an accompanying message as well to view but I have never seen one. Regarding the main beam assist if you go onto U tube and look for MTL line garages you will see that he has a few video's of Audis including a 2019 Q3 that have had the Main Beam Assist activated suggesting that it can be easily done by somebody in the know with the right equipment. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am a little puzzled. My Pre Sense warning light on the instrument display is white. Where is your yellow light located?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am a little puzzled. My Pre Sense warning light on the instrument display is white. Where is your yellow light located?
Same place as your white one. There is only one warning light, but it can display as either Red, Yellow, or white depending the fault that it is indicating. Red is the bad one. the handbook does not highlight what the difference between white and yellow is. Hope this helps

·
Registered
583 Posts
My experience with Audi warning lights, if it's red it is important, if it's yellow then you can continue but book a visit to the dealer and if it's white then all is okay. The dealer can quickly interrogate the internals to see if there are any problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a general rule I agree with your conclusion. The Audi handbook lists the red indicator light under " Red warning lights" the Yellow one under "Yellow indicator lights" and the White one under "Further indicator lights" which dos not really help to differentiate the yellow and the white in respect of their importance , potential problems, or true purpose. Hope somebody else can maybe through some "light" on this matter. The handbook shows {page146} the red one coming on and sounding a warning if it detects hazards at road speeds of 20 mph and above in other words doing the job it is meant to do in order to alert the driver to the potential danger. Page 147 states that if either the white or the yellow light shows then there may be a fault and that also a message may appear appear giving details of the fault and also the possible cure. I am still unsure if mine is actually a true fault OR it is just the way it is meant to be that it comes on for a while whilst it possibly calibrates and /or checks its self before it settles down to work correctly until it is needed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If it stays yellow no matter how long you wait then I would still go to the dealer and ask them to check if the Pre Sense is initialising okay. The good thing is that this is a repeatable problem and can be diagnosed with the car stationary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do have the same spec car apart from the Storage Pack.

Like you I do not have the option to enable the Main Beam Assist in the MMI and my understanding is that if it isn't there you don't have this facility. I had it in my previous Audi and do miss it.

However when I specced the new Q3 I was told it was not an available option and the only way to have it was to go for the top Vorsprung model which has it as part of the Vorsprung pack. I'm assuming it's all part of Audi's rationalisation of options and to try to pursuade potential purchasers into a higher, and pricier, model.

If anybody out there has the Q3 latest model (F3) and has managed to "retrofit" High Beam Assist it would be good to hear.
Hi,

I have retrofitted HBA to my (F3) June 2019 Q3 S-Line and it works fine. I purchased a dongle from Kufatech in Germany and it arrived within a week. It was very easy to install.
You get the dongle which plugs into the OBD socket then open the bonnet, turn on the ignition (but don't start the car up) Lights on the dongle flash red then green then you turn of the ignition remove the dongle close the bonnet lock up your car. wait 10 minutes (have a cuppa) then go back to your car and fire it up.

This page should show you all of the options available and if you are unsure then give them your VIN number and they can help.

It cost me 64 Euros including DHL shipping.

Oh, assuming you have the camera behind your rearview mirror as this is where it picks up the lights from other vehicles.

Hope this helps

Andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI Robbo Good Info Thanks ! That seems to confirm that main beam assist is NOT a standard feature on the Q3 s line model. At least I now know that I am not "missing" something that I thought that I was. Can you confirm that after the Dongle update, the option to turn it off or on within the Automatic Lights section of the mmi appeared ??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,
Was reading this discussion so thought to put in my understanding which is basically the same what mentioned by others here.
from user manual:

So the white symbol stays ON when car starts and till the point you start driving it goes away like all systems check and are good to go.
If Yellow sign appears then i think below snap shot needs to be considered from user manual.
Limited functionality or temprarily not available or a total malfunction can be said.

Where as when the system really detects a threat emergency situation while driving then a big red symbol with warning tone pops up in central display
It happens to me nearly everyday :) at certain spots on daily roads, I have set my settings to early warning.

So a white symbol is a function check. having a tick.

Please do the changes as you like to make this info more refined for other members.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
Nah, your post is pretty informative as it stands KJ, many thanks for the information. (y)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts