Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm just in the process of ordering my Q3 and was wondering how much space is taken up by the spare wheel option. All the show room models have the 'Tyre Mobility System', so it's difficult to know. Are we talking the loss of a few inches in depth?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm planning on driving down to Italy in the summer and would like to know if the boot will handle 3 suitcase.

Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
Adding the spare wheel essentially brings the boot level up flush with the sill.The general feeling here on the board (mine included!) is that this is a price (in terms of loss of boot space) well worth paying to have a proper spare wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rontheman. That doesn't sound like too much of a sacrifice for the added reassurance of a spare wheel.

Jon

·
Registered
563 Posts
HiI've had both in my Q3 and the loss of space is probably 1 maybe 2 inches at the most, the loss is where the boot floor will be slightly higher.At £75 the space saver spare is a no brainer especially if you are taking your car to Europe.I have to say I think you would be hard pushed to get 3 suitcases in the boot with or without the spare

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Del. Maybe two big ones and a small one? Otherwise, it's the dreaded roof box and a fair drop in fuel economy (which won't be insignificant over a few thousand miles!)

Jon

·
Registered
56 Posts
We looked at both and I wouldn't have bought a Q3 with a spacesaver as it takes so much depth out of the boot (about 4 to 5 inches). Plus a spacesaver is extremely limited in its speed and distance 50 mph max for 50 miles I believe. We have got a full size audi q3 wheel/tyre which stands vertically in the boot for longer trips away so we still get the extra depth and a proper spare wheel, plus we have no compromise if we get a puncture/blowout. Bear in mind even if you have a spacesaver you still have to carry the full size wheel you just took off the car.
Just an alternative to consider - each to their own...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts