Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that from 2013 year model Q3s the tailgate will not open as high as the current model does. The open height is to be reduced by 100mmm. This would be a real improvement. I know my wife would find it a huge improvement. Can anyone confirm this, please?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have heard the same thing , so I am going to contact audi this week to see if they can do mine the same ,I would imagine they use a different strut that opens less so it will not be a major job , maybe they will offer it as a dealer option upgrade free of charge ,there must be a reason for them doing this , maybe they have have a lot of reedback about the height of the tailgate

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just sent an E-mail to audi UK for more info will keep you updated as and whenI hear anything

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gus said:
I have been told that from 2013 year model Q3s the tailgate will not open as high as the current model does. The open height is to be reduced by 100mmm. This would be a real improvement. I know my wife would find it a huge improvement. Can anyone confirm this, please?
I'm glad its not that low on mine as I just fit underneath the tailgate when its in the open position.

·
Registered
264 Posts
S Line said:
Gus said:
I'm glad its not that low on mine as I just fit underneath the tailgate when its in the open position.
I suppose that is the problem how do you keep everyone happy maybe the dealers could offer to fit which ever struts suited the customer when they purchase the car its only a 2 min job to change those struts.that way they can keep there customers happy however tall they are

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
audi uk just phoned me up ref tailgate height , it is a 2013 model year mod theyare awaiting the technical spec from audi then they will get in touch with me and my dealer so still living in hope
he said 2 or 3 weeks and they will have all the details , so its back to waiting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the update, Daytona. Please keep us informed. Amazed and impressed that Audi phoned you back in response to your e-mail.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Audi uk phoned again this afternoon , the strut for lowering the tailgate height can be retro fitted to 2012 model year cars , he hopes to have the part number late next week , then he will let me know what it is ,and we can take it from there must say Audi uk have always responded to my e-mails or phone calls very quickly and very politely never had any issue with them .although other people have problems getting any response at all so it must just be my charm

Edited by: daytona

·
Registered
264 Posts
Audi uk phoned again today he will e-mail me the part number tonight . the dealer will have the struts in stock by mid / late june , he reckons they will be about £45 a pair its a 2 min job with a screw driver to change them , just release the spring clip top and bottom and knock off remember NOT to take both struts off at once or else OUCH

·
Registered
264 Posts
here is the relevant part number from audi UK The new Q3 tailgate strut will be available to order from mid-end of June 2012.

Currently, the part is priced at around £24.71 inc VAT and we are anticipating similar pricing for the new strut, when this
becomes available.

The part number you require is 8U0 827 552B.

hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really good information. Thanks Daytona.
£50 is manageable. After all, it's £375 for an electrically operated tailgate on the Q5

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just got off the phone to Audi Perth having ordered the Type B struts</font> which are the 'shorter' struts. I twisted his arm and got the pair for £50.80.
The very helpful parts man explained to me that Q3s with the spoiler fitted should have the Type B strut fitted. When he checked the database, he found my Q3 is fitted with the spoiler and the longer reach struts, Type A!
The important thing is that the Q3 does not need to be fitted with a spoiler in order to have the shorted struts fitted. Another thread gave the part number as 827 552B and I can confirm that the number is good.
I have looked on the extant strut and can see the part number (827 552) but not the B, mine in fact are Version A according to the Audi car database.
Assuming I get the parts today, I will fit them tomorrow and put a pst out if they are successful.

Update.
Success. I received and fitted the new struts, takes about five minutes with a flat head screwdriver. Physically, the cylinder end of the strut is the same, however the piston does not extend so far on the Type B strut, about 2cms shorter. When fitted the tailgate open height from the ground was lowered by approx 10cms. Thankfully my other half can now shut the tailgate without the use of a step!!

Edited by: milliganthurso

·
Registered
10 Posts
My car is modelyear 2014 (june) and has struts 8U0827552A built in so I think this is still a 'long version'. (see picture, the strut bears production date 119/14= day / year)Did any of you already replace the A-type by a B-type strut on a 2014 model?
If so, did you notice any signifcant height difference of the tailgate in open position ?(I can hardly believe that Audi would have shortened the 'A-version' on a 2014 model without changing the partnumber or the partnumber letter code).To my knowledge every Q3 has a spoiler on the top of the backdoor so I do not understand whyAudi wouldusedifferent struts 'off factory'. The only difference might be there is a difference in pressure e.g. for a heavier backdoor with speakers or for the RS-model ????Would appreciate comments/clarification of other forum members.Alfred

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the meanwhile I installed the 'shorter version' 8U0827552B and I can confirm that the reduced height of the backdooris much more comfortable for us.Alfred

1 - 17 of 17 Posts