Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Very true John. I have been lucky enough to have some unnecessary, if not exotic, cars over the years. A few Golf GTis, Corrado VR6s, 3 litre BMWs and the TVR Chimaera. My bikes have tended to be more sedate as I have never been interested in sports bikes and currently have a modern retro Triumph road bike and an enduro bike for trail riding. I sold my classic Triumph as my kickstart knee has lost its strength and it bit my leg a few weeks ago.

Once this has settled down there will probably be time for a last hurrah of a silly car so the RS might still happen before the hypocrites make anything more than an electric Micra a social no-go.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have followed this thread with mild amusement.
According the govt I am a vulnerable person, being of a certain age. Along life's highway I too have owned a variety of interesting cars and bikes, whilst serving in BAOR 911s were tax free which made them a very attractive form of transport. On 'retiring' from the Colours I went to work in the chip manufacturing sector in the US where stocks were allocated as bonuses and available through very attractive Employee Purchase Schemes. Plenty of space where I lived in NM, so off road bikes became a passion, particularly KTMs, I had a Harley as well, (I don't often admit to it).
Now settled in the north of Scotland and finished with my global wanderings, watching the value of my assets go south I became more aware of the saying 'there are no pockets in shrouds'. The eco doom sayers are holding the sword over almost everything I consider enjoyable, so maybe now is the last the time to enjoy a fairly non pc car. The previous Q3 BE served well, so it was an was an easy decision to change up to a RS and to **** with the consequences. So now enjoying immensely a return to my previous petrol head days. As I often say, Life is for Living, tomorrow is uncertain.

Mike :D:D:D

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Absolutely Mike.
Back in 2003 I took advantage of an ex BAOR BMW 330i coupe, six months and 6k old and £6k off list price, with full BMW used car warranty. Had it for 7 years.
My wife’s elderly Mini needs changing first, if she’ll finally let go of it. The RS isn’t off the agenda, just that, with the FTSE as it is, our savings have taken a hit for the moment so it’s not really ideal to spunk up to £20k on a car I might not be able to use in a few weeks.
we definitely are of the ‘long time dead - can’t take it with you’ mantra. No kids so nephew and niece in law will be the recipients of what is left.

we need to get our fun before Greta the moron wins through - she has to be heading for a fall soon. I’m going down fighting!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Even crashing and seeing a tentative recovery, it is still a better investment than any car
Make no mistake I did not buy the RS as an investment, I bought it as a selfish act because I could. I reiterate, at my age, 70, I feel that having made some sacrifices along the way, served in far away places and involved in some interesting situations as well as working hard as a civilian I have earned the right to a small indulgence or two. Due to this unforeseen Chinese virus problem my weeks salmon fishing has all been cancelled, our hols to UAE cancelled, my Christmas hols to St V & the Gs may also be chopped. Before all this my shares in AM tanked, from my perspective of life is it seems a bit of a bummer. If you are in the market to invest (in shares), now or soon might offer a good opportunity, but I doubt if I will be joining you. I'll be having fun in a new car and not worrying about investment stress.
I count myself as both fortunate and lucky.

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Was replying to DavidS Mike, but at the age of 70 you have certainly earnt the right to spend your cash as you see fit.

I am referring to SIPPS and ISAs for my long term retirement pot, not short term speculation. As Mr Buffet said, be bold when others are fearfull...and he is a very wise man

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just re-read this thread. Did you ever get the new car DavidS?

Last year was one of the exceptional events on the market, maybe once in a generation. I'm glad I followed my own advice to say the least. :)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Oh yes! :) :) :) :)
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Reactions: Jock

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Just. £27k inc Audi warranty from way up north as a distance buy. Had it 6 weeks now but only covered just over 1k miles so far.
I got a better than expected px on the X3 as well.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The manufacturers and dealers are currently taking a big hit due to incentives, discounts and freebies. They are also trying to enhance cash flow by trading in high and selling a bit higher. At the moment, the commercial advantage is to buy new with a trade in. I have seen this all before, being on this planet more than most, so lets see what happens in say 3 years time when the new cars now are traded in. There is no such thing as a cheap deal but there are available cheaper deals.

Reactions: Q3 Dave
41 - 51 of 51 Posts