Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
No car, you stay at home here.
Buses at two hour gaps but stop at 6.00pm, more limited on Saturday, nothing on Sunday.
We have overhead electric cables and the whole area gets frequent power cuts - a bit of a problem if you’ve tried to charge your car overnight and it’s been off for five hours…or even a couple of days.
And we are in the, alleged, ‘get everything’ south east.
We can’t even get pizza delivery so getting a car dropped off must be highly unlikely.

We are already at the appliance stage when Cazoo etc just sell cars online as most people probably don’t care what it is unless it works.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Oh David you do 'get everything in the Southeast' they just forget to add that no one actually wants it :rolleyes:

• higher cost of living
  • high property prices
  • over subscribed everything, shops, roads, places to visit
  • migrants

I'm sure you can add to the list.... I can have a word, see if we can lower the drawbridge for you up here in the Midlands! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,659 Posts
I wish you would! Oh, I can't come anyway, my passport's expired. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TheJam and RSQ3John

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Too right John.
Luckily we bought our house in 1997 so have avoided the price horror - if anything we have gained as it is worth about 4 to 5 times what we paid for it.
We are great spenders so not too bad, albeit now on a ‘fixed’ income. We have saved and pensioned well enough though.
The roads are awful.
We were over at Dungeness last year and thought there was a school trip at the lifeboat station but it was 50 migrants being landed.

By the way, our mobile signal is non-existent and we have to use wifi calling - on our 30Mb internet. We have just got full fibre in our road now though.

If it wasn’t for my wife’s family we would have cluttered of ages ago - Northumberland is a favourite although we might be bear you in October as we are looking at a few days near Henley in Arden on the way to Derbyshire.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Would be good to see you David - I live on the Henley in Arden side of Warwick too - so very close.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Would be good to see you David - I live on the Henley in Arden side of Warwick too - so very close.
We’ll see if we can fix a quick hello.
We’ll only be there for five nights as we had a multi cancelled long standing music show to go to the night before.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone see the Ioniq 6 launch this week, looks slick.
Hyundai taking its concept cars to production and sticking it to German manufacturers.
Plus they seem to be riding the chip shortage much better than Audi (mind you, that probably applies to most other manufacturers)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ve read good things about it in the magazines. It’s hard to dispute it’s a manufacturer that’s really come a long way in the last 15 years. I think it will be a great success.

You can’t beat a German interior though and I just don’t see Hyundai as an alternative brand / quality wise at the present time for many.
Perhaps when all cars are fully electric and soulless - when you’ll operate them rather than drive them, brand, image and to some degree quality, will be less of a consideration. It’ll be more of a washing machine purchase emotionally.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The pandemic caused most of the chip shortage as everyone (almost) wanted a laptop or an electronic game. With the car manufacturers, Tesla, Hyundai and Kia kept ordering semiconductors in spite of car demand dropping. The majority of the car manufacturers who work to the just in time gospel reduced significantly their semiconductor forward orders. You can't just turn off and on the semiconductor tap, the lead time to turn on foundries is significant. I believe that the semiconductor manufacturers will catch up with the world demand mid next year.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The problem with EV's is that they are soulless and sound like sowing machines. The far eastern designed EV's look like they have come from an origami text book. There will always be a place for the European aesthetics as you cannot substitute a good human design by CAD.

Reactions: alanyork

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
They are nice cars but the main issue I have with them is that at 6'6", once I have adjusted the drivers seat, no one with a full compliment of limbs can get behind me.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I’ve read good things about it in the magazines. It’s hard to dispute it’s a manufacturer that’s really come a long way in the last 15 years. I think it will be a great success.

You can’t beat a German interior though and I just don’t see Hyundai as an alternative brand / quality wise at the present time for many.
Perhaps when all cars are fully electric and soulless - when you’ll operate them rather than drive them, brand, image and to some degree quality, will be less of a consideration. It’ll be more of a washing machine purchase emotionally.
It's hard to be truly objective when one drives an RSQ3 and the whole ownership experience is dominated by an engine that oozes character from the moment one presses the start button, we get the performance equal to many EVs and comfortably exceeded by a few - we also get the aural magic that no EV can match, the 5 pot tearing it's way through the rev range is hard to forget, makes the hairs on the back of one's neck stand up. Good for the soul. :)

Step away from an RSQ3 and most ICE cars today are engineered for silent, relaxing travel and if you do drive harder then the aural reward is harsh and unpleasant. EVs will also deliver serenely silent travel and with a heavy battery pack sitting low in the chassis probably better handling and acceleration (EV's produce lots of torque from zero) than many drivers have experienced previously.

As discussed previously: EVs as replacements for ICE powered vehicles are simply a step away from fully autonomous vehicles the next big change will be the elimination of driver controlled vehicles altogether. There is a nightmare scenario just around the corner where we will be sharing the roads with next gen vehicles and no driver at all. When it goes badly wrong (and it will) they'll eliminate the human aspect first.

I'm with you over the German Interior quality thought as build and material quality comes at a price however observe that VAG/BMW/Merc seem to have been caught on the hop and don't appear to have quality, affordable products either now or planned for the future - some are just heading into the high-end close-to-£100k bracket for most new products - JLR also. For me the interesting brands to watch now are Volvo and Polestar (owned by the Chinese company Geely) and Nio, also Chinese. These seem to be nailing the high tactile build quality, styling and technical innovation in equal measure. Over in the US there is Lucid and Rivian - both intriguing.

Interesting times.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I agree totally with what John has said. In my decades of existence, generally companies which are exclusively run by bean counters produce inferior quality products and ones that are exclusively run by engineers produce non-commercially viable products. I hope that the German companies can find the right compromise and get back on track.

Reactions: Lochsider
81 - 96 of 96 Posts