Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I fully understand why you are concerned about the ramifications of the leaking sunroof but I am puzzled due to lack of information from Audi. I have a sunroof and I have never had any problems with it including leaking. I am sure that there are many Q3 owners who have had no leaks. So, what is the difference between the leaky sunroofs and the non leaky ones. Is it a tolerance issue, a build issue, a quality issue or what. The problem that I and many others have is, will the sunroof start leaking further down the line. I would appreciate if when you go to the dealer that you try and obtain details and publish them. And, you are right to be concerned about the electrics. They can be very expensive to replace.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Would be interesting to know if it's regular Q3 or the Sportback version that can have issue. I jet washed mine at the weekend - no water ingress.

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

As you see from the above thread, it is a known problem, several members have already experienced it. If you use the search engine at the top of the page you'll see all the other threads detailing their troubles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have to admit, all these leaky roofs are putting me off finding one in my next F3 upgrade. I would respect Audi more if they came clean and said there is a build issue, recall said affected cars and be done with it. But no, they act like your the first person reporting the issues :unsure:

I had issues with my previous A4 B8 with the dreaded Oil consumption... Clearly a design/engine build fault as the pistons were made of chocolate but still they offered no recall on this and was left to the customer to "fight" for good will, or just pray you got the work covered altogether.

Just wrong imo ☹

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
I have to admit, all these leaky roofs are putting me off finding one in my next F3 upgrade. I would respect Audi more if they came clean and said there is a build issue, recall said affected cars and be done with it. But no, they act like your the first person reporting the issues :unsure:

I had issues with my previous A4 B8 with the dreaded Oil consumption... Clearly a design/engine build fault as the pistons were made of chocolate but still they offered no recall on this and was left to the customer to "fight" for good will, or just pray you got the work covered altogether.

Just wrong imo ☹
Audi have sorted it - well documented technical service bulletin and new parts, once done its fixed. And the best bit of the F3's pano roof is no buffeting inside the car when its open, so much more useable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 Audi Q3 40 Tdi Vorsprung 190. It went in for a service last Wednesday and I reported condensation on the inside windscreen and back window over the winter. I am still in a loan car and won't be getting mine back until the end of this week, It appears yes a leak in sunroof ( seal they said) which means all sound deadening material on the floor is soaked ( I have had rubber floor mats in since day 1 so had not noticed the floor or carpets were wet). The dealer is stripping everything out to dry it out and repairing the roof. They intimated that the knoew of more and having done a google search it seems a known problem. Looks like a manufacturing defect or design defect or poor parts materials. I have had 3 previous Audis ( 1 a Q3 mk 1) and not had this problem before. Will be demanding assurances tha electrics will be coverd even when out of warranty and I see that in the USA class actions have been taken vs Audi against this falut.
Latest update, Still in Loan Q2 after 2 weeks and 2 days. Dealer says it is NOT the sunroof but most likely a failed spot weld on the inside bulkhead. Aghreed it was a manufacturing fault, Putting master Technician on it on Monday with a clear diard. Apparenty all the inside has been taken out and ehen it went in the carpets had water coming up if pressed. I had not noticed as I had rubber mats fitted to it new.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well for me so far so good after repair no water inside.
When I get time I'll open roof and see if there is any sign of water as it has been miserable wet day.
Water use to sit in wind deflector channel and thats where water use to come inside foot wells.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a post on here 3 weeks ago about wet floor carpets in my Audi Q3 190tdi Vorsprung. I have heard from my dealer today who has been hosing it down regularly that the sunroof itself is not leaking nor, as they thought at the end of last week were there any leaks from faulty spot welds in the front bulkhead. It turns out that the inside trim on the A pillars at the front fit in place with spring clips. When my car was built the clips caught one of the drain hoses from the sunroof! Simple as that. It was severely constricted thus caused water to leak down into the footwells. New hose to be futted tomorrow and apparently all the inside has dried out over the last 3 weeks. They plan to fit the new hose tomorrow, test it and the start putting all the interior trim back in ( The centre console has been removed). Thought you might like an update. The mechanic I spoke to said it was an unusual fault but not completely unknown!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same problem - pano roof with leak down A post onto floor. I spent ages investigating and couldn’t account for why the leak was intermittent. I eventually discovered that it only happened if the car was parked “nose down” on an incline. On a level drive it was fine. It appeared that on a slope water would pool in the corner of the roof well and overflow into the aperture for the hinge mechanism, thence into the stowage area for the deflector and then down the inside of the A post. This would tally with the Audi service bulletin description:

This occurs due to a slow migration of water along the wind deflector hinge arms and water entry into the stowage area for the wind deflector. This stowage area does not provide water drainage away from the vehicle.”

It may well be that the attitude of the car when parked is also a significant factor in this and perhaps explains why many owners have no problem - they always park on the level!

My dealer announced that this was a known issue, rectified it and replaced front carpets. Since then the car has remained dry.

Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all Spoke too soon. My previous post re wet floor resulted in the dealer having my car for 3.5 weeks, loaning me a new Q2 and saying that a drain hose in A pillar had been caught by the spring clips that hold the interior trim in. Today I came back to the car with puddles on both driver and passenger runbber front Q3 mats. (9 at the rear of the floor mats in front of the seats. Carpet beneath also wet!)Took lots of photos and it seems to have water stains from just behind the front glovebox on passenger side and from under the handle that you pull to release the bonnet on drivers side. Thus I belive it is drains from sunroof? I had a big moan at the dealer as you can imagine. Told them I was unhappy and going to speak to my solicitor! Demanded a replacement car saying I did not want it back! It is 2 years old and I have driven 31k miles. Do I have any rights to reject it? I have lost faith in my dealer. Gromit any thoughts please?

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Ouch! I sympathise with your predicament and am distinctly unimpressed with the diagnostic capabilities of your dealer. Unfortunately you're way past the time limit for rejecting the car which I believe is six months or possibly even less. It is still well within the manufacturers warranty, however, so it is clearly down to the dealer to fix it, properly this time. There might be some mileage in contacting Audi UK but first you will need to give the dealer a chance to rectify it. If they fail to do so to your satisfaction, then is the time to talk to Audi UK and a solicitor's letter might help concentrate their minds if all else fails. You also have the option of going to another Audi main dealer.

Good luck!

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi all Spoke too soon. My previous post re wet floor resulted in the dealer having my car for 3.5 weeks, loaning me a new Q2 and saying that a drain hose in A pillar had been caught by the spring clips that hold the interior trim in. Today I came back to the car with puddles on both driver and passenger runbber front Q3 mats. (9 at the rear of the floor mats in front of the seats. Carpet beneath also wet!)Took lots of photos and it seems to have water stains from just behind the front glovebox on passenger side and from under the handle that you pull to release the bonnet on drivers side. Thus I belive it is drains from sunroof? I had a big moan at the dealer as you can imagine. Told them I was unhappy and going to speak to my solicitor! Demanded a replacement car saying I did not want it back! It is 2 years old and I have driven 31k miles. Do I have any rights to reject it? I have lost faith in my dealer. Gromit any thoughts please?
Hmmm. Well I can say mine is fixed.
Maybe try another dealer.
Or maybe like you mentioned they ripped apart most of the stuff probably didn't fit back properly.
As for the rejection I am here who rejected Jag FPace after 20 months 18k miles nearly, mine was PCP and I kept record of all the faults all repairs and road side assistance since day 1 till the rejection point.
So depending if it's PCP you can start with the finance company that's what I found out.
There was no proper advice available some said start rejection from dealer you purchased some said start rejection from jaguar.
Contacted all no one gave me definite answer.
But only legal possible way was to start rejection from finance company.
They took some time to investigate and finally gave a proposal which I can accept or reject.
It wasn't bad win win I would say.
First of all if panroof is closed properly there shouldn't be water getting inside.
Some insignificant amount would get in but not something which would start to run inside car.
Since repair I don't see any water in the channels although I pressure washed the car plus it's been raining.
If I were in your situation I would get rid of it as having a new car and getting it repaired even if it's under warranty don't like the idea and hassle and money involved.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
Audi Q3 45TFSI QUATRO S LINE
5 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have the same issue as other users described.
Both the driver and the passenger side A pillars are leaking water near the footwell. Sometimes there is a leak on both sides, sometimes only on one side. Its totally random.
Also the roofliner on the passenger side near the B pillar gets wet, sometimes the water drips on the passenger front seat and behind it at the rear footwell.
The water is only leaking when and after i m driving. Also when it rains a lot. After washing the car i guess it also leaks but not visible.
I left the car at the Audi dealer here in Bucharest Romania, its scheduled to enter in service 8th of June, but maybe someone doesnt show up to their appointment and enter service faster.
I will post an update with the, diagnosis and solution.
After reading on forums my guess is that the drain pipes are clogged or the bad design of the whole water drainage system, but i will wait for the mechanics at Audi.
The car is an Audi Q3 45TFSI QUATRO bought new in 2019 summer.
Sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.
Cheers to all!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello and welcome.
Your English is better than many native English speakers.
I will leave those who know about this issue to do a proper reply.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thank you!
I appreciate.
Ok mine was fixed attached is the document which tells you what dealer what do to investigate and apply the fix.
Just now I went outside to check and guess what no water leak what so ever but if you look at page 10 and 11 they mention rubber pad and I found 1 lying in the frame.
Probably that was the fix what my dealer applied.
Now I have to stuck that pad back where it fell from.
Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

Attachments

·
Registered
Audi Q3 45TFSI QUATRO S LINE
5 Posts
Ok mine was fixed attached is the document which tells you what dealer what do to investigate and apply the fix.
Just now I went outside to check and guess what no water leak what so ever but if you look at page 10 and 11 they mention rubber pad and I found 1 lying in the frame.
Probably that was the fix what my dealer applied.
Now I have to stuck that pad back where it fell from.
Thanks.

Regards,
KJ
Thank you,
I downloaded and printed the document.
I am waiting for Audi to reach back and see what is their solution and start from there. Usually they are very helpful.
The car is scheduled for 8th of June to enter service. I m hoping that there will be someone skipping an appointment till then.
When i have new updates i will post it here.
Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ouch! I sympathise with your predicament and am distinctly unimpressed with the diagnostic capabilities of your dealer. Unfortunately you're way past the time limit for rejecting the car which I believe is six months or possibly even less. It is still well within the manufacturers warranty, however, so it is clearly down to the dealer to fix it, properly this time. There might be some mileage in contacting Audi UK but first you will need to give the dealer a chance to rectify it. If they fail to do so to your satisfaction, then is the time to talk to Audi UK and a solicitor's letter might help concentrate their minds if all else fails. You also have the option of going to another Audi main dealer.

Good luck!
Many thaks for the speedy reply. Ill keep the forum updated with progress ( I hope!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm. Well I can say mine is fixed.
Maybe try another dealer.
Or maybe like you mentioned they ripped apart most of the stuff probably didn't fit back properly.
As for the rejection I am here who rejected Jag FPace after 20 months 18k miles nearly, mine was PCP and I kept record of all the faults all repairs and road side assistance since day 1 till the rejection point.
So depending if it's PCP you can start with the finance company that's what I found out.
There was no proper advice available some said start rejection from dealer you purchased some said start rejection from jaguar.
Contacted all no one gave me definite answer.
But only legal possible way was to start rejection from finance company.
They took some time to investigate and finally gave a proposal which I can accept or reject.
It wasn't bad win win I would say.
First of all if panroof is closed properly there shouldn't be water getting inside.
Some insignificant amount would get in but not something which would start to run inside car.
Since repair I don't see any water in the channels although I pressure washed the car plus it's been raining.
If I were in your situation I would get rid of it as having a new car and getting it repaired even if it's under warranty don't like the idea and hassle and money involved.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ
Many thaks for your post. The sunroof is never opened as I just like light coming in when I put the interior undercover back, Sadly I bought the car and it is not on a PCP or Finace!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Over the years I have seen two very effective ways of getting a manufacturer/franchise to sort out problems. The first is to contact the Which magazine with all the details. They will be very interested as you are not a one off. The second is to park your car outside the franchise with a big notice on the top saying what the fault is and how many times you have visited to try and have the fault resolved. Before doing the second I would contact Audi UK by email and tell them everything you are doing. Having this in writing will make it easier if the situation becomes legal.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts