Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much organised the music I want in the car into suitable separate folder on my 'puter. I'm just after an idea how long it will take to load into the Jukebox?I'll be using an 8Gb, Class 10 Sandisk Ultra SDHC (30MB/s), which will be just about full, to transfer the data.

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
Quite a long time. Even if the card reader data bus can read and transfer data at the full rate the card can handle (which honestly I doubt) and it was running an unverified copy operation, the raw data rate alone for 8Gigabytes @ 30Megabit/sec works out at just over 35.5 minutes. Add to that operating system overheads, check digits and directory update times - hmmm......

If I were you I'd allow at least an hour and it could be considerably more.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gromit
Thanks for that fella. Pretty similar to a BMW I used to have. Probably best I do it on a day out while the car's running; don't fancy a flat battery!! These built-in hard drives are all well and good, but seem to be a bit on the slow side to load stuff, but if I've got it, I may as well use it. Just using sd cards all the time would be the easy way, but I need them for my cameras!

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
You're welcome. I must admit that I use SD cards entirely (I don't have the tech pack anyway) and find them the most convenient way to carry/play my music. I don't do iPod/iPhone/iFrigginAnything and my smartphone only gets used for phone calls and the odd SMS (call me old-fashioned) so SDs are the way to go for me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Nothing wrong with old fashioned.....I don't even have a smartphone, My MOBILE
makes calls and sends texts and has the ability to take rubbish photos if needed. I do have an IPad, just because it's more convenient than lugging a laptop away on my (many) hols. Being welded to social media doesn't appeal to me either, if I want to talk to someone, I'll call them or occasionally text, maybe even go and see them
- Tweeting, Facebooking and the like, broadcasting every minute of my life? - nah. As close as I get are these forums, at least they're useful!
Right - I must blow my nose and then I'm off for a wizz and ....ooops!

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
Ah, a kindred spirit! There aren't many of us left.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gromit said:
Ah, a kindred spirit! There aren't many of us left.
Oh I don't know :) I have a very basic mobile phone (not even a camera) - I haven't got a clue what the number is and it is rarely used :) My OH has a basic smartphone which we share (whoever is going out takes it) - but only for the odd phonecall/text and checking the traffic news once in a while (we can't use it indoors at home as we have no reception (nor terrestrial broadband)). No iPod, no tablet .......But we will have a Q3 shortly - so not entirely old school

1 - 7 of 7 Posts