Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my friends, I was all too quick to declare non vibration. I've been quiet about it as I wanted to see what Audi did.
After about a week of having it, I became very aware of the front end wobble. Audi had it in, bealanced the wheels....and it was worse. They then took it back in, originally for two days, but it turned into a week, as the road force machine at the third party place was knackered.
I got it back last week. I think I still have a higher frequency wobble, that I can feel in my seat and foot. It's not huge. My husband thinks that I may just be over sensitive to it, that it's the hard suspension, and it's a natural FWD phenomenon, but I am now doubting myself.
For £34K, I want perfection. I contacted Audi, but the tech guy says he has done all he can. I have a call in to the Sales Manager.
So, my quesion is, to you 4WD similar car chums, should it drive like a baby's bum, or is it me?
Edited by: Jadewoo

·
Registered
65 Posts
177 tdi quattro s tronic and no vibrations after 4000 miles from new. Road surface obviously makes a difference to the feel and some surfaces do seem to create more feedback than others, but not what I'd call a wobble or vibration up to or at fast speeds. I did have the wheels aligned at an early stage, not wheel balance, as the steering wheel wasn't centred. Vibration is a known issue and keep fighting. The Audi customer service help line on I think 0800 699888 is very helpful. Just don't take no for an answer, eg when they say go to the dealer, and if nec ask to speak to the supervisor level.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Jadewoo, sorry you have got the vibration issues I'm slightly confused as your signature says you have a Quattro but your asking about Front Wheel Drive (FWD)?

I have the S Line FWD with 6.5k miles so far and having read about people's problems with vibration I though it was contained to Quattros? I do occasionally suffer from a little vibration at higher speeds around 85mph but it's not always present and I suspect & hope it's just the road surface at the time. my biggest problem is I don't really know the severity of the symptoms to look out for. I know its a bit subjective but if you or anyone else who suffers from the dreaded vibration could accurately describe the symptoms, the speeds it's occurring at and how violent the vibrations and where it feels like they're coming from I would be really grateful and hopefully will put mine and a few others minds at rest?

I hope you get it sorted

Cheers

Bilster

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bilster1, thanks for your message. I'm being blonde, thoght 4WD began with an Eff, so apologies! I do indeed have a 4WD - will correct in post above.
Before the road force test, the vibrations couldn't be missed, they were most unpleasant, and could be felt most noticeaby on the steering wheel. Since then, they have become more higher frequency, lower amplitude, if you see what I mean, and are very subtly felt in the wheel: I notice it after have been driving for a while.
Does that help?
Best wishesJan

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
Have just heard form Audi aftersales manager. He was very helpful, explained what they had done so far, but the conclusion is that asit is a known fault, and that Audi does not yet have a fix, I may have to live with it!!
I explained that I wasn't prepared to live with it until they may or may not get a fix, as not so pleasant to drive, and I'd laid out £34K +. Meanwhile of course, while Audi was working on the solution, my car would be losing in value.
He asked if I had contacted Audi UK - I said no, I expected him to do that as my contract of sale is with him. He has gone back to talk to the Sales Manager. Watch this space....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go Jadewoo! Fingers crossed that's a boot up the arse they need. Thanks for the description, I'm fairly happy that's not what I' occasionally suffer from though will keep an eagle eye on it! Considering its a known fault and having read other peoples experiences, they don't seem to be moving very fast on it do they? Interestingly the major motoring mags and sites like Which, Whatcar and Honest John don't seem to have picked up on it yet so I wonder if a bit more exposure is what's required?

Look forward to your updates.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - I do hope you stay bump free. I'm sure that by now you would have spotted it - it really isn't subtle when it arrives, so I wish you many happy hours in your lovely car.
Jan

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got a really slight vibration when I accelerate between 25-40 mph. But it's nothing like what people have described on here which sounds really bad. Even though it's a niggly thing, it would have been something I would've taken up with Audi if I hadn't had a dud Q3 anyway for which I'm waiting on a replacement.
I'm of the opinion if the car isn't perfect then you should definitely be extremely vocal to the dealership and Audi UK. If you need any help I think I'm a well qualified expert ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Audi Mk has been marvellous, very helpful and understanding, and obviously keen to resolve the problem. So, I wil be changing to a Q5 once it is sepcc'd and delivered. I'm so sorry to leave my Q3, as she's a lovely lovely car. But if the S-Line S-tronic is at fault (something about drive trains, but I'm a girl, so don't quite get that bit), then no-one can guarantee that a replacement won't have the same problem.
So, while it's gutting and upsetting to admit defeat, at least I haven't had any argument or had to invoke any legal types. (Thanks Steve for your offer of support.)
That'll teach me for being too smug at the beginning.
I assume there is a Q5 forum, and I hope the gys there will be as helpful and friendly as you have been.
Jan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shame you need to change to another model but pleased to see that your dealer is supportive.Audi can't be confiident of finding a solution in the short term so those that have the problem may have a long wait for satisfaction.Cheers Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jadewoo -See you on the Q5 forum! I think there's 4 of us now that have ended up rejecting the Q3 and getting a Q5 out of Audi....
Good to see Audi reacting in the right way to customer's serious issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Alan. It isn't resolved, Audi doesn't have a fix yet for it. So, as Steve says above, I am moving to a Q5.
You really have three options AS LONG AS you raised the initial problem with Audi very soon after getting the car1. To hand the car back, get your money back and go buy an X3 or Evoke etc. This is the hardest to achieve without some legal advice I think2. To move to another sepc of Q3 - one without the 18 inch/4WD/Stronic combo. But there are no guarantees.3. To move to another Audi product - as with four other users on this forum, I chose this one.
Five times in..... you are more patient than me. But what is your confidence level that they can fix it? If it was anything else, e.g. a TV etc., you would have returned it for another by the second time at least. This was my opening statement to Audi, and they agreed. But I'd only had the car for 44 days to date. As you have accepted multiple chances to fix, you may not be in such a strong legal position - I'm sure there is a lawyer on this site somewhere to help - or Steve?
I completely understand how you feel Alan, it's so upsetting, and I do hope you get sorted one way or another. It's worth searching this site for 'vibration'. I did this, and it helped enormously with mynegotiations with Audi - but I have no argument with Audi MK, they have been fab. Audi Germany obviously knows there is an issue, and I had the advantage that others had forged the way for me, and done the research.
What sort of deal did you broker Steve? Did you go like for like?
Janx

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, which Q5 forum did you join?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jan,
The place you now need to be is myAudiQ5.com. Like this forum it is very helpful and friendly. Get on there and introduce yourself.
Like you I rejected my Q3 (before taking delivery). After some initial reluctance and posturing Audi UK agreed to pay a contribution on top of any deal I could negotiate independently on a new Q5. I got 10.5% discount after haggling with a dealer I was introduced to by an internet broker (Autobytel). Once the dealer was aware Audi UK were involved they were far more willing to negotiate!!!!
Also Audi UK have loaned me a top spec Q5 since last October so all in all I'm well pleased (Whisper it quietly on this forum but IMHO the Q5 is the better car so I'm actually glad mine was afflicted. Can't wait to collect the new one on March 1st.)
For info of others owners the vibration issue on my rejected Q3 was really quite subtle and some owners may put it down to the road surface vibration. It isn't!!!! and only manifests itself at certain speeds.
Between around 30 - 40 mph and 80- 85 mph there was a slight vibration through the steering wheel which can be felt by holding the steering wheel lightly with your fingertips.
It was also noticeable through the seat and pedals and felt like the chassis was vibrating ever so slightly. Do not confuse this with road surface vibration which should be noticeable at any reasonable speed. I only drove it it once for about ten miles so can't say whether it get worse or more noticeable over time
The fact that this issue still exists after so many months suggests a fundamental design flaw or inherent problem with the spec which Audi cannot address and there is still no fix in sight!!!
I suggest those suffering this problem reject the car ASAP in writing to both the dealer and Audi UK. Some of you may have to give them a chance to rectify the fault but the history of this issue supports an assumption that they are simply delaying the inevitable. Do not be fobbed off, you are paying a lot of money and the car should be in perfect condition.
Good luck
Edited by: Pg220

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can only echo Jan and PG220. I gave them one chance and that was fair in my view. I was buying a brand new car not a patched up one.

Didn't need to go down the legal route fortunately, did as PG220 suggests, put it in writing to everyone concerned and also took some independent advice. If the fault is inherent then as long as you're firm, Audi haven't really got an option but to replace. Their initial stance is to obviously say that they'll sort it but you can only be so fair with them, 5 chances is excessive.

Jan - negotiated a hefty discount on an S Line plus, emailed dealer today for an update and was hoping for a March delivery like PG.

PG220 - couldn't hear that, you were whispering ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Disappointing to see that Audi UK still have not got a solution from Audi Germany. I had a Q3 on order when I joined this forum and after speaking to Audi Germany, was able to get Audi UK to admit they had a problem. As they were not able to confirm they had a solution in the offing, I cancelled my order (was due to collect 1 Dec 12) and have moved (downscale some say) to a VW Tiguan instead.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Steve
When did you order the Q5 and which dealer did you go through?.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update:
Audi Mk has sourced a Q5 Sline plus, which will be delivered in 3-4 weeks time, at lower cost than straight Sline as residuals are better. I'm going to drive one on Friday.
Am I right in assuming that by returning my Q3 all financial clocks are back to zero?
Thanks for new site info Pg220, I shall have a rootle.
Good call ranjana, you've saved yorself a potential ulcer!!! The tiguan is fine, how long did you have to wait for it?
Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts