Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say that whilst I’m loving my new s-line, I have one gripe the internal eSIM data connection l, it’s crap, for the last couple of days nothing higher than 2G ! Had low lte/4g (not even got close to 5G) in the past, I miss being able to use my own ee data sim which gave me much better coverage and high data rates, for instance, a Google map update would take about 10 mins, with the eSIM it looking more like 10 days 😡 (2days to get to 20%)

I also fired up the cubic comms data for WiFi, but only for the free 3gb of data, then it gets removed, but even that’s pointless with the current stupidly low data rates.

Rant over 😂

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, Google map ota update still hasn’t completed, in fact it got to 85% download, then when I parked up for a couple of hours, came back only for the download to have reset itself to 0% download, either Audi servers are playing up or the lte connection is so bad it’s corrupting the download to point it gives up ☹
So 8 days to 85% then back to zero.
Monday morning email to Audi digital for answers I think !

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
The latest Audi map update seems to take ages to complete, only happens when you are driving so ignition on, engine running . In the last week I've had two 5+ hour drives and that saw the end of it.

You can do the map update manually - the file is a mere 25GB+ - hence the car update seeming a bit slow.

First you need to sign into MyAudi: MyAudi Login page

Once logged into the MyAudi App go to the second tab 'Features', the second App down is Map Update - follow the instructions from there.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I assume this is a ‘technology improvement’ compared to the olde worlde sd card version in mine as the firmware and map update only took 2 hours or so in the comfort of my own back garden last week.

I don’t go anywhere for that long more than twice a year to do your version.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
David - you assume correctly. It's not as comprehensive as your 8U Tech Pack version as the F3 map update only seems to refresh the map for the area you reside in - so although my maps are bang up-to-date Q3/2021 for the Midlands the rest of the regions are Q3/2020 (you don't have region/map version visibility on the 8U), I was happier when I didn't know the details - as are you!

How is Malvern? Elgar country I recall.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It’s been very pleasant so far, thanks John. Nice weather that is about to change, sadly.
Looking at the Morgan factory tour on Wednesday - various other NT and EH visits dotted around.
The RS is so easy to trundle round in and then have the occasional polite twist of the throttle.

Mapping is working well, if a bit illogically sometimes but I think that is down to the size of the back lanes. I assume mine is the whole of Europe loaded by country, based on what file names were being loaded.

The owner of our rental place (very comfy converted double garage) has an E Pace but was waxing lyrical about the RS but he doesn’t like Audi’s package extras structure as Jag gives more flexibility.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will have to try the manual update, although there are no USB ports (or SD card slot) only USB C ports ! So I need to invest in an adapter. Also need to find a way or formatting the usb storage to FAT, whilst Macs can do it, in my experience, not in a way that Audi can recognise, last attempts on my previous q3 to manually update the maps all failed as not recognised !

So much for technical advancement, all well and good as long as everyone else has caught up 🤣

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Reactions: Gromit

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi All . Realise that this may be slightly off topic but I have been reading / following this post and would like to just add a few "questions" of my own that it has raised. My MMI maps {set to auto update} have regularly updated the UK map region "The North" that I both live in {North Yorkshire to be precise} and up to now have never been out of since taking delivery of my car just over a year ago. All the other UK regions and all the Euro ones have never been updated since the day that I got the car. I have no intention of ever driving to any Euro Zones BUT intend to go "Down South" for a trip in the next month. My questions are is it possible to manually just update the UK regional maps or do you have to take the full 25gb ish package ?. Also when I venture "Down South" at what point will the up to now out of date southern maps, auto update them selves i.e. will it happen fairly quickly after crossing the MMI's map regional border line or will I have to be in the new Map region for quite a long time?. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks !!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Blimey…who designed this technology? Are they spies for BMW?

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
IanQ - mine is the same. I'd like to think that the updated regional map data is 'unpacked' as one travels but I have no proof. In contrast the Google Earth map images are downloaded as 'tiles' in real time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The saga continues, I thought the maps had updated ota, it looks like it hadn’t 🙄,
Had a pause of about 10 days, now it’s trying to update ota again 😡
I’ve managed to download the maps from the MyAudi site and copy to a USB. Tried the manual update…… who designed this software, an effing 5 year old !!! It tells me I can’t do the manual update because the ota update is in progress 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤬

1 - 12 of 12 Posts