Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When delivered, I asked if I should drive in a particular way for an initial period, avoiding high speed, heavy acceleration or similarly. My Audi-man told me not to worry about this, just drive as usual from day one, the engine has been running the sufficient number of hours on a bench in the factory to ensure this, no problem...
However, I see in the manual that one should use max 2/3 of the allowed rpm for the first 1000 km. This should be gradually increased from 1000 to 1500 km. Also avoid full throttle, and do not tow anything for these first 1500 km.
What is your opinion on this? Listen to the Audi-authorized dealer, or the user manual?!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just drove normally from Day 1. I do not think a "break-in" period is necessary anymore. By driving up to 140 kph I discovered my misaligned and vibrating steering wheel which were immediately fixed. Enjoy driving!Edited by: pekX2to

·
Registered
84 Posts
Personally I go with the user manual. It doesn't really restrict driving too much in my opinion. Especially as the high top gear in modern vehicles means you can cruise on motorways at sufficient speed without using that many revs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My last car didn't have anything in the manual about running it in, but i took it easy for the first 1000 miles and i'll be doing the same thing with the Q3 especially as the book advises to do so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have ended up with (after about 1100km/700 miles) something close to the manual myself, without actually thinking much about it. The Q3 is so strong, silent, agile and justgenuinelypleasant to drive, that I have enjoyed a more careful driving style than I probably had with my old car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
JayN,

What do you think about the electro-mechanical steering? Do you find it too light? I wish I added drive select as an option.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pekX2to, no, I find it absolutely brilliant. It fits me perfectly. Both in high speed (which for me is 70 mph, 110 km/h), andmaneuveringin lower speeds, I am very happy with it. It feels precise and responsive without being jittery. Couldn't be more happy. Would drive select change it? I thought that only (or mostly at least) had to do with dampening.

·
Registered
188 Posts
JayN said:
pekX2to, no, I find it absolutely brilliant. It fits me perfectly. Both in high speed (which for me is 70 mph, 110 km/h), andmaneuveringin lower speeds, I am very happy with it. It feels precise and responsive without being jittery. Couldn't be more happy. Would drive select change it? I thought that only (or mostly at least) had to do with dampening.
I am glad to know that you are enjoying the ride. In my opinion it is too light and found it to respond too much on tiny bumps on the road. I just thought having a dynamic setup using the drive select will make the steering tighter. I found that if I put the S-tronic shift to Sports mode, the steering becomes tighter but I do not want to put it in Sports mode all the time because it will lower the mileage. Anyway, at highway speed it becomes tight and more engaging.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Q3 has the drive select option which can be combined with a damper select option which I don't have. Apparently the steering is changed on the drive select option. I haven't run my car in dynamic yet. I'm saving that for when it has done a few more miles. Running it in auto or comfort I can't tell the difference. Efficiency mode definitely makes the car feel sluggish, but does seem to save fuel. I'll have to take more notice of the steering in future to see if it does change,it can't be by that much. One thing I did notice with the steering on the Q3 is the demo car I tried for half a day was a diesel and I bought a petrol one. The steering on the demo was heavier, just the extra weight on the front axle presumably.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with JayN, the steering is superb. No more muscle to turn rapidly in low or high speeds.I would say it's one of the best features for this car actually :) But everyone has different taste nothing wrong with that ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts