Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If like me, having spent all your beer tokens on the car / are a tight git (delete as appropriate) and need a roof rack - this seems to be a cheap solution without compromising on safety.

If you look on the usual auction/collection sites, you should be able to lay your hands on a brand new unwanted Q5 rack for only a few tokens. There seems to be a surplus of these as I understand they come free with a Q5.

Tools wise you will need:
<ul>[*]Drill and bits[*]Angle grinder[*]5mm allen/hex key[*]tape measure/ruler[*]pencil[*]knife (to cut rubber strip)[*]optional extra - label machine to mark up each foot.[/list]
Points to note: <ul>[*]the rails on the Q3 are not parallel[*]one roof bar is shorter than the other![*]you are going to need to remove the foot with the 3 pegs on it, remove 2 of the 3 pegs, and shorten the bar by 10cm, drill and refit the foot.[*]It appears that the integrity of the foot is largely maintained by the grip around the outside of the car rail, so the pin is more of a guide to line everything up and even with only 1 pin doing the job its not going to fail. If you wish you can add in a new pin if you feel such inclined, but it will take some precision drilling and lining up of a new pin.
[/list]

The first task is easy as the shorter rack which is the Q5 rearmost rack will fit straight on the front of the Q3. The only thing that you will need to do is slacken off and re-tighten the 2x hex bolts holding each foot to the rail to allow everything to line up with the rails and fit snugly. All the holes in the bars and the feet are elongated to allow this adjustment.

Next you need to do some extreme moding!

As you will know - there are 2 pins on your Q3 to receive the rack/foot. You will need to make it look like the top one in the pic here.

FYI, if you want the measurements - here you go

The foot comes to pieces very easily - just remove the 2x hex bolts from the top of the rail and it will all fall off in your hands. The plastic casing is held together with friction and there doesn't appear to be any clips holding it as it is held together when bolted on the bar.

As you will see, the bolts go through one bracket to another to spread the load. This is bit fiddly to get back together, so note which way up everything is as you take them out.

Now break out the angle grinder/massacre tool and grind off the 2 pins that are closer together.

As you will see, i slipped and caught the pin that i needed to leave behind.

As i took off a little of the plastic coating, I wrapped a bit of electricians tape around the bracket and cut out the tape around the pin so that i had a plastic coated finish to touch the car rail. (No pic).
Re-assemble the foot without the plastic casing and fit it to the car (do not fit to the bar yet).

Now fit the Bar which still has the other foot to the other side of the car and rest it on your newly farkled foot. This will allow you to mark the roof bar to see where you need to cut. In these pics the bar is just resting on the foot and is not attached.

Here is mine all marked up and ready for cutting and drilling

As you can see i needed to take 10cm off.

Take care with re drilling the holes as these need to be dead center to fit in the groove on the top of the rail. Whilst i did miss a little, my error was quickly covered up when I later fitted the rubber on the bar.

Remember you will need to cut the roof bar at the same angle so that the plastic end fits on.
Then all you need to do is re-assemble the foot and casing and fit to the bar.

I found that i needed to release the hex bolts again to get the feet to sit tightly against the car rails. Then I just tightened these up, got the label machine out to make sure that I fit everything the same way around. That way I shouldn't need to adjust them again.

Now all you need to do is remove your newly fitted bars and install the rubber into the groove of them. I found that I needed to take them inside and warm everything (including me) and rub a bit of washing up liquid on the rail to get the rubber to fit properly.

Job done.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Excellent write up, definitely needs to be a sticky.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Agreed and done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, its my first post so excuse me if its not too correct. I recently bought a 63 plate Q3 and its amazing. I enquired into the price of audi q3 roof bars but didn't want to remortgage my house!!. So I Bought a brand new pair of q5 ones for the princely sum of £9 and then followed the details instructions. I didn't have an angle grinder but a hacksaw and a file completed the job. I now have a pair of roofbars with the audi bag for £9, plus £15 fuel and 2hrs of "manual labour". Thanks for the brilliant instructions and it is not as hard as people might think.
Give it a go and save some money

·
Registered
45 Posts
Q5 bars now seem to come with the ribbed Thule type strip as standard -
well,. the secondhand set I bought did, they were for a 63 plate Q5. And it certainly seems to work.

The
modding was straight forward and I now have a set of bars to fit my Q3
and to fit my light bar and aerials to for motorsport safety radio
duties! It did occur to me that a pair of the shorter Q5 bars would be
even easier if a little bit more costly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the OP or anyone else still have the photos of this modification? I'm hoping to do this same mod this week, but the pic links are broken. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i still have them...i will pop them up when i get a minute.....i think photobucket have blocked links to forums
If a mod can unlock my original post to allow me to edit it I will add pics from another source.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The pics still work here but I couldn't scroll through them so had to load each one separately.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bomtekfred said:
Does the OP or anyone else still have the photos of
this modification? I'm hoping to do this same mod this week, but the
pic links are broken. Thanks in advance!
I have posted the photos on to the site now in case you still cant see them in the orig post.

The first task is easy as the shorter rack which is the Q5 rearmost rack
will fit straight on the front of the Q3. The only thing that you will
need to do is slacken off and re-tighten the 2x hex bolts holding each
foot to the rail to allow everything to line up with the rails and fit
snugly. All the holes in the bars and the feet are elongated to allow
this adjustment.

As
you will know - there are 2 pins on your Q3 to receive the rack/foot.
You will need to make it look like the top one in the pic here.

The
foot comes to pieces very easily - just remove the 2x hex bolts from
the top of the rail and it will all fall off in your hands. The plastic
casing is held together with friction and there doesn't appear to be
any clips holding it as it is held together when bolted on the bar.

As
you will see, the bolts go through one bracket to another to spread the
load. This is bit fiddly to get back together, so note which way up
everything is as you take them out.

Now break out the angle grinder/massacre tool and grind off the 2 pins that are closer together.

As
i took off a little of the plastic coating, I wrapped a bit of
electricians tape around the bracket and cut out the tape around the pin
so that i had a plastic coated finish to touch the car rail. (No pic).
Re-assemble the foot without the plastic casing and fit it to the car (do not fit to the bar yet).

Now
fit the Bar which still has the other foot to the other side of the car
and rest it on your newly farkled foot. This will allow you to mark
the roof bar to see where you need to cut. In these pics the bar is
just resting on the foot and is not attached.
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/j4ckoffall/media/Audi/20160319_161701_zpsqjz4m0va.jpg.html

Take
care with re drilling the holes as these need to be dead center to fit
in the groove on the top of the rail. Whilst i did miss a little, my
error was quickly covered up when I later fitted the rubber on the bar.

Remember you will need to cut the roof bar at the same angle so that the plastic end fits on.

I
found that i needed to release the hex bolts again to get the feet to
sit tightly against the car rails. Then I just tightened these up, got
the label machine out to make sure that I fit everything the same way
around. That way I shouldn't need to adjust them again.

Now
all you need to do is remove your newly fitted bars and install the
rubber into the groove of them. I found that I needed to take them
inside and warm everything (including me) and rub a bit of washing up
liquid on the rail to get the rubber to fit properly.

Job done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did this modification a few weeks ago after reading this thread and it all went as expected.

My only deviation from the guide was to drill out the extra lugs/rivets starting with a 4mm then to an 8mm and they fell out with no mess.

I even managed to get my bars for free because they arrived with two small dints so I got a full refund. The bike rack now hides the dints.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny question, but if I purchased two cheap sets of q5 racks, would I be able to use the two bars without 3 pins, and just shorten one to fit at the back of the q3? I haven’t seen the set up yet, but looking at purchasing a q3

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Funny question, but if I purchased two cheap sets of q5 racks, would I be able to use the two bars without 3 pins, and just shorten one to fit at the back of the q3? I haven’t seen the set up yet, but looking at purchasing a q3

Think that may work.
I bought a cheap Q5 rack then a friend gave me another one when he sold his car. I looked at the fittings and the front and rear brackets seem to be the same (apart from the number of locating pins) In the next week or two I'll dig out the parts and do a proper trial fit and report back

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shopping for set of q5 bars to modify for my q3 as this thread shows. Are all q5 bars(after length modification) compatable with 2017 q3 rails?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Shopping for set of q5 bars to modify for my q3 as this thread shows. Are all q5 bars(after length modification) compatable with 2017 q3 rails?

Not a definitive answer but a quick scan of the listings on ebay suggests the Q5 bars changed from 2017.

Our Q3s seem to use the same bars regardless of age so the safest bet would be to buy pre 2017 Q5 bars for your project.
Just make sure they include the coded key for clamping bolts

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
34 Posts
THANKS SPIKE....
Been trying to get some sort of answer to this as have found some new boxed q5 bars from 2012 car (£40) which i am keen to grab. Will have a look at them tomorrow now it looks like its a goer and worth a journey.........Kdc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brought the for mentioned q5 bars and modified them tody useing bowmans guide.Great value modification and the the guide was straight forward to folow.Good result....thanks bowman

·
Registered
19 Posts
If like me, having spent all your beer tokens on the car / are a tight git (delete as appropriate) and need a roof rack - this seems to be a cheap solution without compromising on safety.

If you look on the usual auction/collection sites, you should be able to lay your hands on a brand new unwanted Q5 rack for only a few tokens. There seems to be a surplus of these as I understand they come free with a Q5.

Tools wise you will need:
<ul>[*]Drill and bits[*]Angle grinder[*]5mm allen/hex key[*]tape measure/ruler[*]pencil[*]knife (to cut rubber strip)[*]optional extra - label machine to mark up each foot.[/list]
Points to note: <ul>[*]the rails on the Q3 are not parallel[*]one roof bar is shorter than the other![*]you are going to need to remove the foot with the 3 pegs on it, remove 2 of the 3 pegs, and shorten the bar by 10cm, drill and refit the foot.[*]It appears that the integrity of the foot is largely maintained by the grip around the outside of the car rail, so the pin is more of a guide to line everything up and even with only 1 pin doing the job its not going to fail. If you wish you can add in a new pin if you feel such inclined, but it will take some precision drilling and lining up of a new pin.
[/list]

The first task is easy as the shorter rack which is the Q5 rearmost rack will fit straight on the front of the Q3. The only thing that you will need to do is slacken off and re-tighten the 2x hex bolts holding each foot to the rail to allow everything to line up with the rails and fit snugly. All the holes in the bars and the feet are elongated to allow this adjustment.

As you will know - there are 2 pins on your Q3 to receive the rack/foot. You will need to make it look like the top one in the pic here.

The foot comes to pieces very easily - just remove the 2x hex bolts from the top of the rail and it will all fall off in your hands. The plastic casing is held together with friction and there doesn't appear to be any clips holding it as it is held together when bolted on the bar.

As you will see, the bolts go through one bracket to another to spread the load. This is bit fiddly to get back together, so note which way up everything is as you take them out.

As i took off a little of the plastic coating, I wrapped a bit of electricians tape around the bracket and cut out the tape around the pin so that i had a plastic coated finish to touch the car rail. (No pic).

Now fit the Bar which still has the other foot to the other side of the car and rest it on your newly farkled foot. This will allow you to mark the roof bar to see where you need to cut. In these pics the bar is just resting on the foot and is not attached.

Take care with re drilling the holes as these need to be dead center to fit in the groove on the top of the rail. Whilst i did miss a little, my error was quickly covered up when I later fitted the rubber on the bar.

I found that i needed to release the hex bolts again to get the feet to sit tightly against the car rails. Then I just tightened these up, got the label machine out to make sure that I fit everything the same way around. That way I shouldn't need to adjust them again.

Now all you need to do is remove your newly fitted bars and install the rubber into the groove of them. I found that I needed to take them inside and warm everything (including me) and rub a bit of washing up liquid on the rail to get the rubber to fit properly.

Job done.
Hi

Is it Possible to download the images as I can view them a little better Eye Site Going

Thanks

Alan J

1 - 20 of 23 Posts