Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

How noisy is the TDI compared

4K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  audidriver4ever 
#1 ·
How would you campare the noise of the Audi 2.0Tdi compared to other manufacturs diesels?

#3 ·
A lot depends on how well insulated the cabin is, I find it no louder or indeed quieter than any of my previous 2.0l bmw diesels.

Roll the window down on any diesel and they will all make a fair racket

#5 ·
The 2.0 TDI is much quieter than the previous "PD" version I had in previous Dodge and Volkswagens - even at tickover it's not taxi-like.

#6 ·
We also have an A4 with a 1.9TDi engine + multitronic. I must confess that initially I found that engine to be much smoother than the 2.0TDi + Stronic on the Q3, especially at low speeds. However, after a year or so, there isn't much in it, as the Q3 engine has bedded down a bit. Standing outside the cars, the Q3 is smoother at idle(no doubt because the A4 engine now has almost 100k miles on it).

#7 ·
Hi
I find my Q3 very quiet, smooth and refined, makes my old CRV seem like a tractor.

#10 ·
argic said:
When I test drove the diesel Q3, I was amazed how quiet it was
I couldn't agree more. Even on start up there is very little noise/movement/vibration. It was half what I experienced in my TDI Golf.There is the possibility of course that I can't hear the engine over the stereo

#11 ·
I test-drove a Q3 diesel as there was no petrol one available, but ordered a petrol. The diesel is very quiet and smooth for a diesel - better than Jaguars believe it or not! - but the petrol engine is (inevitably) quieter and smoother still.

#12 ·
I did the same as Gromit. Tested a diesel and bought the lower power of the two petrol enigines. Also I think that loosing about 30 kg of weight from over the front wheels seems to make the Q3 steer better. Just my opinion of course. Admittedly I do only about 5000 miles a year so the fuel economy is not such a factor.

#14 ·
When I test drove two 2.0tdi 177 quattro S Line S-tronic one
after the other at the same dealer back at the beginning of June – one with 18” alloys and another with 19” to
see the difference in road noise and handling, I was really surprised and
pleased with the exterior and interior noise of the engine at idle from a 13
plate with just over 1000 on the clock in comparison to my current car at the
time. With the second q3 a 62 plate with over 6000 on the clock, it was noisier.
I asked the sales guy the reason why who said that he would have to enquire
with the technicians. I never got an answer. I very much doubt it was due to
age / miles.

#15 ·
Diesel is always noisier than petrol. The 4 pot engines in the Audi range are not as civilised as a V8 or V6 diesel, but they are very good. They give much better torque than the petrols and overall lower running costs. I am of the opinion that unless you are going for a soulful 6-8 cylinder engine (either petrol or diesel) then you go for what gives the best drive ability. In this case I think this means diesel...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.