Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after suffering a puncture earlier in the week and the fiasco to get the car to a garage without using the repair kit as there is no spare wheel - I now have a car that wants to change lanes on its own at motorway speeds.Driving up the motorway today I commented on how I could feel the car pulling to the left and to show my point I relaxed my grip on the wheel. To my horror the car almost went into the hard shoulder lane. So I moved into the outside land and tried again - once again carefully relaxing my grip on the wheel and the car moved into the inside lane as if I had intentionally wanted to change lanes.I pulled off the road at Scotch Corner to inspect the wheels in case of anything obvious but, all nuts were tight and everything looked OK.To compound this once back on the motorway I pushed it along a bit more than the 60-65 MPH I had been doing and there is noticeable vibration from the front end when cruising at 75 - 80 mph.To say I am not pleased is an under statement and I will be contacting the dealer first thing tomorrow morning. I expected better than this from a prestige car, even my wife's little Ford sits solid as a rock on the motorway and has not had a thing go wrong with it since bought new two years ago, begining to regret not going for the Rover Evoque - disgruntled! you bet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hope you get this sorted soon. You're not having much luck at the moment.

Do you think it is connected with the puncture repair, or removal of the wheel. Appears a bit of a co-incidence

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it is related as I did mention I thought it was pulling to the left in my review but was not sure if the steering wheel was offset from the dash. Turns out it is pulling and has got worse. As for the vibration I had never driven at 75-80 mph as I am a very easy on the fuel (tight) type of driver....After a nice bottle of real ale I am a little more relaxed - I am sure that AUDI can sort it, it is just the inconvenience of it all and it being a new car - if you get my drift.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi WesMy car also hasthe samevibration problem as yours, last time it was with the dealer they rebalanced the front wheels but I don't think this has cured the problem.BTW the tech at Audi told me that if you can drive thorough the vibration it is usually a wheel balance problem, if the vibration is constant then it could be a buckled wheel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Booked in Tuesday for a lazer alignment and wheel check.When I rang the dealer they seemed to know what the problem was as the service guy asked if it was a problem with the car pulling to one side!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wes said:
Booked in Tuesday for a lazer alignment and wheel check.When I rang the dealer they seemed to know what the problem was as the service guy asked if it was a problem with the car pulling to one side!!
sounds like there must be a few with the same problem , wonder if they will do a recall to check them all . mine been fine so far ,, touch wood

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine is going in on Monday for a vibration, sometimes its worse than others and I can't put my finger on it. Sometimes it feels like the wheels are out of balance and other times I'm just not sure. I can feel it through my feet/legs more than through the steering wheel.. Will let you know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The diesel is louder than the petrols, too, and generates more vibration through the pedals. Pasted from What Car review from October 2011.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tyreman said:
The diesel is louder than the petrols, too, and generates more vibration through the pedals. Pasted from What Car review from October 2011.
I have read that report and agree that in general a diesel engine is louder than a petrol but I do not find the engine noise from my diesel invasive in the cabin or when beside the car with the engine idling.I have only ever felt vibration in the pedals on one occasion and that was driving the humble Ford Transit Van - there is no vibration at all from the "engine" transmitted to the pedals every thing is refined and smooth. I have however had foot chatter when driving down a very un-even country road when my foot bounced off the accelerator but I do not envisage that being an every day driving experience although could affect anyone going off road.The vibration I am suffering is very like the wheels being out of balance - so I hope it will be a simple diagnosis and fix, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pulling to the left and the vibration just under 80 mph SORTED!The wheels required a fair bit of adjustment which I was shown on the computer print out from the laser alignment. The computer first records the existing alignment, then advises the required adjustments in a green bold font, and finally measures the alignment again to confirm the adjustments are true and correct. There appeared to be some twenty or so measurements in the process.The vibration was cured by removing all the existing weights (fitted in the factory) from all the wheels and then balancing all four wheels - what a difference feels very secure on the road now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Glad to hear that it is all sorted out and nothing major.

Well done to your garage for first class customer service!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi WesThis is good news.Do you know if Audi have issued a TSB on this issue ?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Wes said:
Del said:
Hi WesThis is good news.Do you know if Audi have issued a TSB on this issue ?
Yes, I am very relieved............Not sure what a TSB is!
TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin.It's information for service departments, usually it explainscommonproblems and gives a solution to them.
Edited by: Del

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry Del, they did not mention anything to me other than what they had found and what they had done on my car.When I originally phoned to explain my cars problem and to book it in, the dealer asked if it was pulling to the left even before I had a chance to explain to them that indeed that was the problem, so perhaps they know that the cars are leaving the factory with a handling problem.....It is very reassuring when they get it right first time though

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Wes,
Good to hear that you got everything sorted. I was beginning to worry that there were bigger inherent faults. Glad you are enjoying the car again. Each time I step into the car I can't believe how very well finished everything is. The LED light pack when lit up is amazing. Hope your enjoying another real ale tonight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oldgranti said:
Hi Wes,
Good to hear that you got everything sorted. I was beginning to worry that there were bigger inherent faults. Glad you are enjoying the car again. Each time I step into the car I can't believe how very well finished everything is. The LED light pack when lit up is amazing. Hope your enjoying another real ale tonight.
Funny you should say that....slurp.Thanks, I must admit I was a bit worried - I was thinking - new model, new faults and will they be able to sort it out. Very relieved when I drove the car tonight and it was perfect.I agree the cabin is class, comfortable and well thought out.Sounds like you are enjoying your new toy too, any chance of a pic of the LED's in action, sounds very atmospheric.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question...
When your Q3 is driving dead straight is your steering wheel slightly to the right by about 1-2 degrees?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Morse Man said:
Good news Wes on the problem being resolved so quickly. Happy motoring HWTL
Thanks, but I am not so sure it is. My wife has just come home complaining that the steering wheel is not straight, and though it goes against the grain, I have to say she is right.Driving in a straight line the steering wheel is about 1-2 degrees to the right.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts