Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone noticed that there is a kind of hill start function in the q3 when you are parked on a hill and you press the brake hard then take you foot off he brake it will sit here for a second or so allowing you to get into hear without rolling back.

I think it only works when pointing up a hill

·
Registered
613 Posts
... or pointing down (such as when reversing up a sloping driveway)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think you may find that's just the time it take for the brakes to fully let go of the discs once you've released them.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
You've effectively got hill start assist anyway - with the auto-release handbrake you can just shove it into gear and drive off, the handbrake releasing itself as you start to move.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gromit said:
You've effectively got hill start assist anyway - with the auto-release handbrake you can just shove it into gear and drive off, the handbrake releasing itself as you start to move.
My 8 year old Renault has an auto handbrake and, as it is an automatic drive anyway, it does hold the car very nicely when taking off on hills
We didn't do any hills on the test drive so I've yet to experience the Audi version

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bambi said:
Gromit said:

Do you not need auto handbrake for this tho?

I've tried to drive off without releasing the handbrake and it wouldn't let me.

I thought it was a manual car, thus automatic hold the car on a hill while in D isn't applicable, plus he said it was from the foot brake.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Tommy, did you have your seat belt on when driving away? Provided your seat belt is fastened, then you should not need to release the handbrake to drive off. It releases automatically. If not, might be something wrong with your car!

·
Registered
144 Posts
rontheman said:
Tommy, did you have your seat belt on when driving away? Provided your seat belt is fastened, then you should not need to release the handbrake to drive off. It releases automatically. If not, might be something wrong with your car!
Arrrr.... That might be it then. I jumped in and tried to quickly move but it wouldn't let me.

So just to clarify, if you don't apply the handbrake but let it do it automatically, it will release without touching it?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
It matters not how the handbrake is applied - providing you're wearing your seat belt the handbrake will release automatically when you drive off. Try it on a safe empty stretch of road - stop, apply handbrake then pull away whilst watching the light on the handbrake switch. You'll see it go off as you start to move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts