Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Q3 for nearly 1 month now and noticed something that has got me thinking so I thought I'd run this by the other members!

To my knowledge my Q3 does not have Hill Hold Assist, no extra indicator next to the parking brake and not listed on the spec sheet from the dealer, however when I'm pulling away and a slight slope the car is held for a few moments. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is hill hold assist right?

Does this happen on your Q3?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
With hold assist you'll have a button behind the handbrake button. This will hold the car by putting on the handbrake when you come to a stop. Without it you will have to pull the button manually everytime you stop but it will release automatically. Even without hillhold the auto release is handy
Hope you are enjoying your new motor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loving the car so far! You have just confirmed what I thought, my Q3 does not have the button but does hold for a few moments.

This is what happens - Come to a stop on hill at red light. Car in neutral with foot on brake. Traffic lights go green, into 1st, foot off brake and car is held for approx 2 seconds on the hand brake by which time I'm off and running.

From all the info I can find this is hill hold assist. Have you noticed if your Q3 does this or have they forgotten to put the button in mine!

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you use the search on this site with my name you will find a previous discussion on this subject. Hope this helps. The date was the 30th July.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I noticed today something i never noticed before. I don't have hill hold assist but if i stop on an incline the car will not roll back straight away, i have about 3 secs to press the button. It does start to roll after this short period though. Clever stuff

I can only assume it's to give you that second or two to press the button so you don't have that jolt if it's rolling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that's what mine does. Question is how is this different from hill hold assist?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Had the car 4 months and i just noticed it the other day, the only difference i can see is that it only temporarily holds the car whereas the assist puts the handbrake on permanently every time you stop. I still have to pull on the button everytime i park etc. Maybe come in handy if i break the fingers on my left hand

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am expecting delivery of my Q3 this week and I was looking at various brochures while waiting. From what I have read all q3s have Hill Hold Assist. Basically if you are on a hill and keep your foot on the foot brake, the brake will remain on for a couple of seconds after taking your foot off to stop you rolling backwards. I have it in my current car, a Mitsubishi, I never use it as I am old fashioned and use the handbrake! As an extra option you can specify is Hold Assist where you get a little button by the handbrake. This holds the car in any situation for as long as you like until you pull away, so you have a handbrake and err another hand brake! Not something I thought was worth getting but I am sure it has some use I am missing. The details are in the Audi q3 European brochure which spells all the features in much greater detail than the UK one including Hill Hold Assist and Hod Assist. When I pickup mine this weekend I will find a hill and see if it is standard on UK models as well, fingers crossed there are no cars behind if I am wrong!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im sure a lot of building site labourers will be interested in the 'Hod' assist

Edited by: DBQ3

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If it reduces builder crack syndrome thenI'mall for it

Putting my car in the garage today i reversed back to line it up, took my foot of the brake and it sat there for about 4 seconds before rolling forward. My garage is on a slope, it's obviously there to compensate for the delay in taking your foot off the brake and pressing the button. You need to watch it though and not confuse it with hill hold as it will start rolling with no warning at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The hand brake on my Q3 is I believe standard ie not hill hold assist. However when stopping on a hill I apply the handbrake (pull small lever up) and take foot off foot brake. When pulling away I dont have to carry out the opposite action (push lever back down), Just accelerate away, the hand break disengages automatically, clever stuff.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Even without hill hold assist your Q3 will hold itself for a few secs on a hill, giving you enough time to pull the lever and make the brake action nice and smooth when going on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The official Audi definition for theQ3 from brochure. Hill Hold Assist is standard, Hold Asidt is a cost option
"Hold assist
holds the vehicle stationary for unlimited periods after stopping and thus prevents the vehicle rolling away on hills and on gradients. The system is activated by push-button and allows the driver to drive away easily and comfortably without having to operate the electromechanical parking brake.

Hill hold assist
After the foot brake is pressed for a long period of time while the vehicle is stationary, the brake pressure that is built up is maintained for a short while after the brake is released; this automatic braking action makes hill-starts at almost any gradient much easier and more comfortable."

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think Audi has got their desciption right. Certainly not the case on the A7. Once hill hold assist is set to on. If the brake is pressed and the vehicle stops the brake is on immediatiately and stays on indefinitely, until the accelerator is pressed and when this happens the brake releases. It then activates the brakes the next time the car stops with brakes. There is no need to activate the hill hold button again unless the ignition has been turned off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just apply the handbreak when you stop for whatever reason, on flat or incline.You won't roll back/forward, and when you accelerate the handbrake will automatically release.Job done.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Having had hill hold assist on my last car, I can say that I was selective when I used it. Stop start, i.e. in motorway delays it was brilliant. When parking though, it would apply itself when you came to a slow halt and to release it it needed a few revs. If you were fairly close to another vehicle it was a problem.

Not having it on the Q3, I am inquisitive to find out how stop/start works if it is operative. Surely when you release the foot brake, it will automatically start the engine making the stop start useless.

Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes the engine restarts when you release the footbrake. I take it from this that stop/start is only designed to be used in conditions ofmomentary stopping eg junctions, traffic lights etc. I dont really like it to be honest so have found myself switching it off.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Stop/start also works with the auto gearbox in park. ie if you come to a stop and keep the footbrake on till the engine cuts out,, then move the gear selector to P, the engine will stay off when you take your foot off the footbrake (makes no difference if the handbrake is on or off). When you want to move off, you need to press the footbrake to move the gear lever from P to D, and as you then lift off the brake pedal, the engine restarts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts