Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Recently upgraded from an A3 8P TDi Quattro which i modified to 260hp, bought a 2013 Q3 TDi 177 Sline DSG Quattro and im loving every bit of it, night and day difference and im not really missing the power as much as i thought i would.

Will be planning to slightly modify it over time once ive got it to where i want it maintenance and gremlins wise.

Ive done a few "soft mods" so far, a few VCDS mods and ive just this weekend retro fitted cruise control thanks to this forum, for the princely sum of £39.99 after sniping an ebay bargain.

I had a full set of ATE discs and red stuff pads from the A3 that i put on but decided to go one further and purchased a set of Golf R front calipers and also picked up a new set of genuine 340mm discs and this time gone for ATE ceramic pads so will be installing them this weekend.

Unfortunately dont have DAB so will be buying the IMI-1000 module from integrated audio to bring it more up to date.

Performance wise will be going for a proper custom map as these 177s see a healthy ~220/230hp, what is putting me off doing it just yet is the DPF, to delete or not delete? are they as unreliable on these as they used to be in general?

One issue with the car is the steering is "creaky" so will be doing top mounts along with ball joints and tie rods to freshen the front end up, assume theres no common fault that could be causing the creaking sound?

Another issue is a persistent throttle position fault code so will be removing and cleaning it, i may do a write up if it would be of use?

And of course i have the dreaded dead fuel cap actuator that i will be addressing soon, fortunately mine is faulty in the unlock position.

Hopefully ill be able to add a bit to the forum being an Audi and TDi fan, i did a lot to my A3 and fix and sell cars as a hobby.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club! Keep us up to date with what you're doing to it, OK? (y)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
MOT testers seem quite hot on checking the DPF is installed and has not been tampered with. Just had mine tested and the 'prompt' computer screen even had a picture of the engine for comparison. Think a DPF delete pipe would be too risky and even removing the guts / re welding the existing exhaust may be spotted by a keen tester.

For the brakes, post 9 in this link covers all the parts needed for a 340mm disc upgrade. If you don't already have them, go for new brake dust shields as they are really cheap from Audi

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do Gromit!

MOT testers seem quite hot on checking the DPF is installed and has not been tampered with. Just had mine tested and the 'prompt' computer screen even had a picture of the engine for comparison. Think a DPF delete pipe would be too risky and even removing the guts / re welding the existing exhaust may be spotted by a keen tester.

For the brakes, post 9 in this link covers all the parts needed for a 340mm disc upgrade. If you don't already have them, go for new brake dust shields as they are really cheap from Audi

Cheers Spike
This is it, will likely leave the DPF and map anyway, its just a bitter pill to swallow when the DPF goes and its either an expense to repair or another expense to have it mapped out which would of been free with a remap.

I have managed to drop on a full kit, calipers, dust shields, discs and pads for £200! from a low mileage 2016 Golf R however have been waiting on brand new discs and ceramic pads to arrive so will be installing this weekend, just had a quick flick through that link and hoping i wont need the flexis as i haven't got them ha! will see on the weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Will do Gromit!

This is it, will likely leave the DPF and map anyway, its just a bitter pill to swallow when the DPF goes and its either an expense to repair or another expense to have it mapped out which would of been free with a remap.

I have managed to drop on a full kit, calipers, dust shields, discs and pads for £200! from a low mileage 2016 Golf R however have been waiting on brand new discs and ceramic pads to arrive so will be installing this weekend, just had a quick flick through that link and hoping i wont need the flexis as i haven't got them ha! will see on the weekend.

Thanks
Did you get round to fitting the Golf R brakes.
If so, how did it go.
Any tips / snags

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

very easy and straight forward, the backing plates don’t fit the hub so used the standard which were only slightly smaller.
The caliper kisses The spokes of the standard 18” wheels but it’s very slight and no issue.

a well worth mod especially if you pick the callipers up cheaply, I had a pair of nearly new oem discs and chucked a set of ATE ceramic pads in.

the different to initial biting is night and day and overall stopping power is of course much improved, you now get that modulation in the braking.

I had the car custom mapped at the weekend it’s now 221hp and 320ft lbs so the brakes compliment this well.

Ill upload of couple of pictures when I figure out how

Reactions: spike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before, after and with wheel.

Next job will be tyres, undecided between the Michelin cross climates or go with Goodyear assymetrics as I had them on the A3 and couldn't fault them, my daily round trip commute is 30 miles of dual carriageway and b roads and at the moment with brand new landsails and 3 year old michelins with 5mm tread the car slides far too easily in the damp.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Did the brake hoses work out ?
I was hoping big brakes would fit under 17" wheels but I could be disappointed if they are tight with 18's

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure 17s will fit, s3 and golf r boys run 17s for winter, your only concern will be offset but nothing spacers won’t remedy.

hoses were the same fitment thankfully, that had me worried, I prepped the caliper before hand and when I came to it literally disconnected the hose unbolted the carrier and removed the caliper as a whole, switched discs and bolted the complete new calipers on then attached hose and gravity bled them, each side took 20 mins, was easier than a pad and disc change

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

very easy and straight forward, the backing plates don’t fit the hub so used the standard which were only slightly smaller.
The caliper kisses The spokes of the standard 18” wheels but it’s very slight and no issue.

a well worth mod especially if you pick the callipers up cheaply, I had a pair of nearly new oem discs and chucked a set of ATE ceramic pads in.

the different to initial biting is night and day and overall stopping power is of course much improved, you now get that modulation in the braking.

I had the car custom mapped at the weekend it’s now 221hp and 320ft lbs so the brakes compliment this well.

Ill upload of couple of pictures when I figure out how
hi mate looking to put s3 8V oe front brake set up on my stage 2+ k04 q3.

i found this for sale. is this all i need (in the photo below) and the rest is direct bolt on, plug and play?

front rotor is 340mm oe

i can also get full set of front / rear brakes from a GOLF R MK6 hoping that would be direct swap, bolt on

look forward to your reply, j

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi mate looking to put s3 8V oe front brake set up on my stage 2+ k04 q3.

i found this for sale. is this all i need (in the photo below) and the rest is direct bolt on, plug and play?

front rotor is 340mm oe

i can also get full set of front / rear brakes from a GOLF R MK6 hoping that would be direct swap, bolt on

look forward to your reply, j

Hi mate,

They're physically the same hardware on the S3 8V and Golf R, the only difference is the face plates have a different logo on (S3 vs R), both will fit the Q3.

Although they're a massive improvement over the standard 312mm set up (which IMO arent adequate if you're a spirited driver) i still think they lack the braking when you need to rapidly slow down from speed, the initial bite and lower speed braking is excellent it just wants that little more improvement when you stamp on the brake, ill be chucking some braided lines on all round next year when i refresh the suspension components, hopefully that gives me what im looking for.

What power are you running, 300+? id be tempted to go with some performance discs, ceramic pads, braided lines and fresh fluid as well as the 340mm upgrade, can imagine a stage 2 K04 Q3 will go like a stabbed rat!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi mate,

They're physically the same hardware on the S3 8V and Golf R, the only difference is the face plates have a different logo on (S3 vs R), both will fit the Q3.

Although they're a massive improvement over the standard 312mm set up (which IMO arent adequate if you're a spirited driver) i still think they lack the braking when you need to rapidly slow down from speed, the initial bite and lower speed braking is excellent it just wants that little more improvement when you stamp on the brake, ill be chucking some braided lines on all round next year when i refresh the suspension components, hopefully that gives me what im looking for.

What power are you running, 300+? id be tempted to go with some performance discs, ceramic pads, braided lines and fresh fluid as well as the 340mm upgrade, can imagine a stage 2 K04 Q3 will go like a stabbed rat!
Thanks for your reply and your feedback on your experience to date. Sounds like the rears would be a good idea to upgrade to in order to fix the lack of braking when needing to slow down from rapid speed. Also I'm aware golf r mk7 and s3 8v use same brake set up, but I was also wondering if the MK6R/S3 8P 345mm front brake set up would be direct bolt on.

I used to own an s3 8v and a s3 8p prior to, but I sold that and got the q3 as needed that lil extra comfort size space for my first child. It's been great and must say it's everything I could ask for with the k04 upgrade.

It's doing 190kw at the wheels at the moment, but looking to do a re-tune soon now a FMIC has been installed and bigger intake, hoping to get around 200-210kw at the wheels.

To be honest the brakes have been holding up pretty well with the k04 power, better than I expected and I suppose this is because our Q3's are built to tow. But I do miss the bite from the brake set up that the s3 8v had, so thinking by just doing the fronts as a start might be a good idea.

I'm somewhat a spirited driver, but not the type to be swerving in and out of heavy traffic where I can understand that's when rapid braking would be required from high speeds, or doing the mountain twisties etc. The other alternative was to go for more uprated sport discs 312mm with ATE ceramic pads on the front, but if I can get the S3 8V set up in the photo I posted in the last reply for a steal, I'd be looking at what you mentioned.

I also recently replaced all my struts/shocks and strut top mounts and springs at 125k kms, the improvement in handling and feeling glued down to the road when hitting boost was a night and day difference as owning the car since 100k kms. I do wish I went koni yellow struts but I ended up ordering bilstein b4s as a replacement with my h&r blue springs. Just gonna run with this until they get tired/worn out. Prior to this I was running the lower version H&R red springs with OE factory Sachs shocks and they wore out real quick somewhere between 100k-125km usage and it wasn't until I started experiencing wheel hop on a couple launches and on intermittent take offs that made me realise there was a problem with suspension.

Pretty happy with the way it is right now, but when the front brakes are due, I need to consider my options and do like the idea of the S3 8V set up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We sound like we`re on the same page, i had an A3 8P TDi that was running 260hp and needed the size and comfort of the Q3.

From experience the 312mm front and 282mm rears of the 8P fit the Q3 as i took my redstuff setup from my 8P and put them on the Q3 when i first got it so based on that i dont see why the larger 8P S3 set up wont go on the Q3 as well but also from my experience the redstuff ceramics with 312mm ATE discs weren't adequate but then i was used to the A3 stopping on a dime.

I would assume the only difference between the 345 and 340 is purely down to VAG reducing the disc size to stop the huge lip from forming, they've done this in the past on other sized discs, but dont quote me on that.

I would personally just chuck some ceramic pads in the back and leave them stock, 80% of the braking is from the front so mildly improving that 20% from the rear will be negligible unless you drop on the rears mega cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We sound like we`re on the same page, i had an A3 8P TDi that was running 260hp and needed the size and comfort of the Q3.

From experience the 312mm front and 282mm rears of the 8P fit the Q3 as i took my redstuff setup from my 8P and put them on the Q3 when i first got it so based on that i dont see why the larger 8P S3 set up wont go on the Q3 as well but also from my experience the redstuff ceramics with 312mm ATE discs weren't adequate but then i was used to the A3 stopping on a dime.

I would assume the only difference between the 345 and 340 is purely down to VAG reducing the disc size to stop the huge lip from forming, they've done this in the past on other sized discs, but dont quote me on that.

I would personally just chuck some ceramic pads in the back and leave them stock, 80% of the braking is from the front so mildly improving that 20% from the rear will be negligible unless you drop on the rears mega cheap.
Yeah it was a nice transition. Q3 still fun small-size SUV to drive around without the crammed space in back like an A3/S3.

Yeah I was thinking why did they make the 8V smaller disc size to the 8P, maybe to cut costs in production or something rather.

Ceramic pads with the stock up set up sounds like a good idea for the rear. The front s3 8v brakes in the photo are listed for about 250GBP, but have done 60k kms, so probably due for new pads and discs anyway. Will see if I can get down in price a lil bit more :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
@sm12five all fitted. Picked this up for a steal for 200USD. Direct bolt on plug and play. Although my mate and I didn't take notice that calipers need to be on the correct way for both sides with the bleed nipple facing up. We installed them with bleed nipple facing down and that through us off for a good couple hours trying to work out why the brakes would not work after bleeding it 4 times. Silly move and lesson learnt.

Need to redo decals later down the track.

Plenty clearance with my 19in wheels

Stopping distance improved 👍

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Disgustingly cheap and look a **** of a lot fresher than mine aha, they look the muts nuts mate.

If you get a moment could you take a pic of the gap between the caliper and spoke at its closest point? Just want to know for reference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Disgustingly cheap and look a **** of a lot fresher than mine aha, they look the muts nuts mate.

If you get a moment could you take a pic of the gap between the caliper and spoke at its closest point? Just want to know for reference.
Yeah mate chuffed with the price. The seller was given the brakes as spare from a s3 with stage 3 big brakes already fitted, so guess it was like he never had em cos they were always boxed up haha.

Managed to take a couple pics... Bare in mind my 19s are from an A5 peelers style so ET33 9J

What pads you running?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts