Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
Apologies if these questions have been asked before, but I'd like some advice on the Q3.Please point me in the right direction if they have been answered already.
I'm looking at buying a new car.... These are my requirements
I want an SUV because I like the I higher ride heightI will on occasion need to tow a horse trailer which weighs around 1500kg (loaded)The car will be doing about 10,000 miles per year which is going to be mainly short trips of 5-10 miles with a 180 mile motorway round trip every couple of weeks.

I test drove a 2.0tdi FWD (I don't really need 4WD as I am very rarely off road)I loved the car and thought it drove well, but I'm really torn about whether to buy one or not.
The reason I am torn is becauseI'm concerned about whether I'm storing up trouble with the DPF and EGR valves and all sort of other things getting sooted up because I'm not doing enough miles. (I've had a bad experience with a Vauxhall Diesel in the past)
Now on to the point.....
>>What is the experience of this group on the use of Q3 diesels for short urban journeys?>>Are there any known faults with the Q3 or models I should steer away from?

Thanks in advance for your comments
Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi. Not sure i can help but I bought a q3 three weeks ago after a BMW 3series. It's the Quattro sline but so far it's a fantastic car and faultless. I appreciate I cannot answer your specific questions but hope some one can for you

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Mark - Just completed 20,000 miles in 8 months in my FWD SE, and there has not been a single problem (mechanically) - just a cracked windscreen!
Sorry can't offer advice on the Particulate Filter etc... as I do a 40 mile commute daily, with lots of Motorway runs as well

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Mark, first of all let me say I've had 5 Audi's a Lexus, Volvo, and now back to a Q3. Looked at build quality comparing to a VW Tiguan and in my opinion the Audi always comes up as being superior. The 4wd only comes in when reallyrequired, 90% of the time the drive is to the front wheels and after the winter we've had its outshone everything i've ever owned. I had an A4 avant and had a problem with the engine management light coming on, this turned out to be the DPF and after calling out the audi breakdown chappie he kindly replaced it for free. So that just reasures me on Audi's breakdown and customer aftercare. Saying that the door mechanism on my Q3froze over the winter a couple of times, but Audi are on the case as we speak and have great faith in there findings. Hope this info helps with your decision.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Mark

I had a Tiguan 4wd which I bought new in 2008. My motoring journeys are very similar to yours. Thje DPF light came on once after 25,000 miles and it went into limp mode. This was after a 40mile fast run. VW replaced the sensor and after that no problems. Numerous Tiguan owners had the same problem.

I don't think that you will have any problems with the day to day running of a Q3 with a DPF under your motoring conditions. Whether the Q3 will suffer the same sensor problems as the Tiguan only time will tell.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi mark

Go for it I got a se fwd last September and have only done under 4 k until now as its the the wife's car we don't do many miles
your motorway trips will clear it out I do take it up the motorway once a month to clear it stick in 5 gear and around 70 mph for over 20 minutes will burn off any dpf build up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts