Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I'm Paul and this is the Q3 I bought in October. It's a 2016 Q3 SE 2.0 TFSI Quattro.

I traded in my 2015 Polo GTI DSG with an IS20 swap and 300 BHP for something that was more suited to our trips to the countryside with the dog. The Polo also had the same EA888.3 engine but the DQ500 box in the Q3 is on another level to the disastrous DQ200 gearbox in the Polo. We just couldn't fit everything in the Polo anymore and although I was sad to see it go the Q3 is just fantastic.

We got the Q3 a few days before heading off on holiday to Scotland for two weeks and towards the end of the two weeks managed to bump into a concealed lump of concrete on a forest trail.

Then just before leaving the accelerator pedal somehow snapped off! The AA came to the rescue and managed to do a temporary repair to get me home then it was replaced under warranty.

Hopefully nothing else will go wrong any time soon, although I do seem to have misplaced the engine cover since getting the car!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

Tough about the hidden concrete, I had a similar incident with a SAAB 9000 back in the day and it cost me two new multi-spoke alloy wheels as well as two new tyres! I hope yours only cost you a tyre.

Re. the accelerator pedal, whilst not totally unknown it is a very rare occurrence and I'm pleased they've sorted it under warranty. The Q3 is pretty well screwed together and has very few common faults or bad habits. You're right about the DQ500, fantastic 'box and a joy to drive.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Welcome from, for today, rainy East Sussex.
There is something about getting a ‘new’ car and something going wrong.
My first Golf GTi lost the back of it’s silencer half way home, my Audi 80 wouldn’t start after stopping for a photo halfway home and my BMW 330i Coupe’s battery failed the next morning and I had to go to a posh-ish meeting on the motorbike.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
I am also not unfamiliar with the phenomenon...

When I bought my Jaguar - brand new, custom spec. - I set out to the office the following day and got less than a mile before the transmission failed completely (bloody JATCO auto boxes) and that was it for six weeks until they could get hold of a replacement 'box. Having fitted it all was still not well and I had to reject the car and order another. Jag dealer was utterly brilliant about it though, loaning me their demonstrator for the entire period until the replacement vehicle was ready.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hi Paul, welcome to the Forum
Coming from a car with some serious upgrades have you anything planned for the Q3
The terrier in the back seat - is it a Patterdale.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, welcome to the club!

Tough about the hidden concrete, I had a similar incident with a SAAB 9000 back in the day and it cost me two new multi-spoke alloy wheels as well as two new tyres! I hope yours only cost you a tyre.

Re. the accelerator pedal, whilst not totally unknown it is a very rare occurrence and I'm pleased they've sorted it under warranty. The Q3 is pretty well screwed together and has very few common faults or bad habits. You're right about the DQ500, fantastic 'box and a joy to drive.
Thanks for the welcome Gromit!

Luckily it was just a tyre that needed replacing although the edge of the wheel is a little worse for wear as well. If I'd hit it in the Polo it would probably be a write off. Managed to change over to the spare in the middle of a forest in the rain. Didn't have much chance with no mobile signal.

The AA man that came about the pedal said he had never seen it happen before. Since looking through these groups I've only seen one other person with the same issue and theirs snapped in exactly the same place as mine so it does appear to be a bit of a fluke. The car appears to have been well looked after judging by the service history. The cheap, very uneven tyres on it were the only real thing I could fault before that.

Welcome from, for today, rainy East Sussex.
There is something about getting a ‘new’ car and something going wrong.
My first Golf GTi lost the back of it’s silencer half way home, my Audi 80 wouldn’t start after stopping for a photo halfway home and my BMW 330i Coupe’s battery failed the next morning and I had to go to a posh-ish meeting on the motorbike.
Thanks for the welcome, from a rainy Tyneside.

Yeah... Corsa sprung an oil leak onto the exhaust manifold, Astra had multiple failures in the cooling system and piston ring issues from the get go, next Astra's gearbox blew up on the A1(M) at 70 mph, Polo's turbo went at 32k while doing 70 mph on the A19. I find people generally don't get rid of cars because they're perfect!

I am also not unfamiliar with the phenomenon...

When I bought my Jaguar - brand new, custom spec. - I set out to the office the following day and got less than a mile before the transmission failed completely (bloody JATCO auto boxes) and that was it for six weeks until they could get hold of a replacement 'box. Having fitted it all was still not well and I had to reject the car and order another. Jag dealer was utterly brilliant about it though, loaning me their demonstrator for the entire period until the replacement vehicle was ready.
Oh dear. Can't believe that happened on a brand new car!

Hi Paul, welcome to the Forum
Coming from a car with some serious upgrades have you anything planned for the Q3
The terrier in the back seat - is it a Patterdale.

Cheers Spike
Thanks for the welcome. I really can't decide what to do to the Q3. I really don't use it much so don't see much value in swapping out the turbo or anything drastic. Probably will get remapped at some point though. A gearbox tune might be worthwhile as well. There are already some things that have happened that aren't in these pictures so I'll share those at some point.

That's our lovely little Patterdale called Scout. He was only six month old in that photo and had a lovely trip with us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts