Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I picked up a brand new Q3 at the weekend and every time it starts up I get the following message:

"Traffic Sign Recognition: Fault"

Along with the yellow pre sense warning light.

Now I can see that it works as we have roadworks nearby and it picks up the change of the speed limit as I drive past it and the yellow warning light goes out after a couple of minutes.

So my question is, is this normal, do other members get the same message? Is it just because it hasn't seen a traffic sign yet when I start up?

It's really annoying, but just want to get all the facts before calling my dealership.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The pre-sense warning light does not go out until you do over 20mph. If you turn the ignition off then start again then you have to go over 20mph before it goes off.

As regards the traffic sign warning, I have never seen this but it uses the camera at the top centre of the front windscreen. Because it goes out fairly quickly and recognises speed limits then it must be working. I would contact your dealer regarding this as I have never heard of this before on the forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the quick reply. That makes sense regarding the pre-sense warning light.

I'll contact the dealer and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you very much for the quick reply. That makes sense regarding the pre-sense warning light.

I'll contact the dealer and see what they have to say.
For pre sense normal functionality
Please refer to this post.
I have tried to explain the working.
As far as traffic sign it is a fault as per message , you can try resetting your MMI also try cleaning the windscreen top part if it's not clean also pre sense sensor is square box below number plate see if it's dirty.

Thanks.
KJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks KJ, really appreciate it. I'll give the other post a good read. Hopefully it will explain the difference between the yellow and white pre sense too as the manual isn't clear.

How do you reset the MMI? i knew how to do it on my old A3 but not looked in to it for this.

Ye, i'll give the whole car a good clean this weekend as it wasn't the best when i collected it anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Jimmy. I had exactly the same problem as you re the Pre sense light see my post as mentioned by Jalees. I have now had it confirmed by an Audi Techie that it is not a problem and it is just going through its self check process, which as it draws its info from a number of different sensors and cameras etc, takes it a while. I also get the "Traffic Sign Recognition: Fault" message at start up as well , but that disappears after about 3 or 4 seconds. Again I been informed that this is not a problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ian,

That's really good to know, particularly that you are also getting the traffic sign recognition fault. It's annoying that it will happen every single time i start the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi again Jimmy. Just to add, I thought at first that the traffic sign recognition fault may be happening because the car was in my garage or on my drive both "traffic sign free zones" when it was first started. However like you, I think that is not the case as the message appears every time the car is started no matter where it is. If started in the garage for example, when the fault sign go's off after a few seconds it is replaced with what ever has been set to show in that space previously, in my case speed warnings signs ie 30mph. Regarding the pre sense light I have "experimented" to try and find if it actually goes off via a distance, or as MWCltd states a speed criteria setting. I am afraid that no definite answer could be found !!!. But it does go off and dos not come back on again until the ignition is turned off and back on again via the key . Interesting however is the fact that if the engine is turned off via the stop / start kicking in, neither the pre sense light OR the traffic sign fault message reappear. Would be interested to hear if you find that my experience's are matched by yours.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I live in a 20mph estate. The pre-sense light does not go off until I get to the main road which is 40mph. If I start off then accelerate to 20mph on a normal road then at 20mph the light goes off. This light is not time related but speed related. The stop/start will not affect the pre-sense as this is always on from after 20mph until you turn the ignition off. As regards the speed limit indication, I wouldn't worry about it as it works and is for information only unless the speed warning system is turned on in the MMI. Neither of these issues are faults and should not be treated as such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies.

It's booked in at the dealership tomorrow for them to have a look at it and check what the error message is reporting and run any software updates while they've got it. They agreed that it shouldn't be popping up every time i start the car, so we'll see whether it's something i have to live with or of it will get resolved. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's great news. It could be firmware or a sensor but at least they will be able to locate the issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, I had the traffic sign recognition indicator not showing at certain times. On visit to dealership to discuss this and another issue I was advised that the traffic sign recognition concern is known about and also affects the A6 model.

A brief has been issued to dealerships stating that in certain weather conditions the traffic sign recognition sensor behind the mirror gets fogged up and prevents traffic sign recognition. This soon clears once screen warms up. Dirty screens don’t help, especially now the colder winter months ahead...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I find this puzzling. I have had 2*S3's, an RS3 and 2*Q3's over 11 years all with traffic sign recognition and I have never seen this issue. Have Audi changed something recently although my brand new Q3 is working perfectly. One common factor is that I always park my cars on the drive. In Yorkshire we have all extremes of weather so I can't see why I have not had this issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Jimmy Any updates yet from your dealer visit regarding the traffic sign recognition and Pre Sense light problems ?? Very interested in what they found as I have had the same problems .Many Thanks Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morning Ian,

Yes, sorry it was at the dealers for a couple of days this week. So, for the traffic sogn recognition fault they started with the usual diagnostics and this didn't throw up any errors. They then tried restoring all factory settings which also didn't work. They contacted the central Audi technical centre to see if this has been logged before and what to do. They said they weren't very helpful and only suggested what they had already tried. So finally the decided to recalibrate the camera and sensors which apparently involves laying pads out at different distances and heights. This "touch wood" has resolved it and i no longer get the error. They think that either the battery has ran flat at some point in transportation or they have heard that if the first run at the factory is done with the camera covered it will throw off the callibration. I reckon it's just the battery has ran flat.

As for the pre sense warning, that is normal and will go out after you go over 20mph if everything is fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Jimmy. Pleased that the info you got from them regarding the Yellow Pre Sense warning light staying on until you go over 20 mph matches up with the info my dealers gave to me, I find that "reassuring" as I am sure you will as well. As previously stated my Traffic sign Recognition Message only stays on for a couple of seconds after start up so I will live with that for the time being, at least I know what fixed it for you now so may take that route at a later date. Like you, mine is correctly registering the temporary speed signs near me as well so at least that means it is working ok I reckon. Thanks again for the info !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts