Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the rear diff oil and did a haldex service while I was there.
While I was quoted a reasonable 140 gbp for my local indie to do it the service kit was only 55 gbp figured I might as well do it myself seeing as I've got a bit of time.
Only took 40 minutes including filter.
This is a mk 4 haldex BTW.
Screen was filthy though.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Rim

Think that pump has been struggling for a while now as the throttle and acceleration was far more responsive afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Well done for catching it in time!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This car was a dealer serviced car and I've found a few things wrong with it.
Didn't get a picture but I don't think the gearbox filter had ever been changed when I did it at 80k. Diff oil looked like it was never done either. I'm getting there slowly though.
Am going to post a list and cost of the work I've done this year.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I don't think Audi list a service schedule for the diff
Same applies to the transfer box (Audi call it the bevel box) which is the interface between the gearbox and propshaft on 4wd cars.
Look forward to your post on the service work and costs

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Audi do list bevel box oil change for the F3 RSQ3.
It’s due at 20k so half the distance of the gearbox oil at 40k.
Haldex oil is due at 3 years, no mileage specified though

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haldex does seem an odd one to list as time dependant but that’s what’s in the MyAudi app🤷‍♂️
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
...and on the F3 with the Mk 5 Haldex just changing the oil alone is not enough...the Haldex pump should be removed and the filter gauze cleaned as well (which Audi don't recommend so you have to specifically instruct the dealer to do).

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
My indie checked with Borg Warner and their edict is an oil change and filter clean every three years regardless of mileage. Good to hear Audi have finally adopted the same!

·
Registered
140 Posts
As RSQ3John says though they’re only half way there if you have to ask for the pump pulled and filter cleaned as an extra

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Indeed. When they finally called me to tell me (far too late but that's documented elsewhere) mine needed an oil change I had to insist they clean or change the filter and at first they refused saying it "wasn't necessary". Eventually they agreed and charged me an extra fifty smackers for doing it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I can ascertain, Audi don't even change the filter on pre mk 5's as you can't buy a filter from them, so this means that their haldex service solely consists of changing the oil and nothing else.
Looking at the build up of sludge on nearly all the screens I've seen this can only lead to a premature pump failure.
I'ts not the end of the world as a pump/ oil/ filter kit can be had for £180, don't think it does but it might need coding too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just did a haldex oil change on a neighbours 2017 Seat Ateca and pulled pump to clean the screen. Was quite shocked to see amount of sludgy black gunk almost blocking the screen at less than 35k miles albeit 5 years old😳😳
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera Lens Camera accessory

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Blimey, I reckon you caught that just in time! Three years is the Borg Warner recommended service interval regardless of mileage and mine hadn't done many more miles than that Ateca when the Haldex turned it's toes up and I ended up with 2WD and a large repair bill. 😣

Reactions: Beanjunior

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Wow that's bad!

I think the smart money says get it done every 20,000 miles to be safe - I certainly will be.

Reactions: Beanjunior

·
Registered
140 Posts
Certainly makes you wonder, that Ateca isn’t driven hard at all and although 2 years overdue mileage is relatively low.
When the time comes though I think 20k sounds sensible when bevel box oil is getting done, I’d be tempted to change oil and clean screen either just before Audi do it or just after and treat it as a flush but maintain the service history.
It literally takes 10 minutes to pull the pump and clean the screen or in Audi labour rates more than the cost of the oil🤔
Edit-I should point out that’s with the benefit of having it up on the 2 post ramp

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apart from on here I can't say I've ever heard anyone say anything about changing the oil in the bevel box. Given the context I'm assuming it's just 75/90 ish gear oil same as the diff?
Doing the oil and filter next week so will do this at the same time.
Anyone got any resources for this, pictures/you tube/manuals etc just to identify the drain and fill points?
I've seen a 2.0 tdi vw done on YT, assuming this will be a very similar if not identical set up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
From what I have read the transfer case and rear diff use the same Fluid - Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90 or equivalent is likely what is put in when new .

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Service info on the latest models is difficult to find but these 8U illustrations should be similar

I'd be tempted to use genuine VW gear oil just in case there are any warranty / goodwill claims in the future
Note. Audi use some of the Haldex oil fill kit for the transmission as well (had me puzzled for a while)

Font Parallel Urban design Engineering Art
Product Font Engineering Parallel Machine tool

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi spike, thanks for the the info. Should have clarified, mines very similar to yours.
2013 black S line tdi 177 S tronic, so no worries about any warranty issues.
Take it that's a workshop manual. Couldn't by any chance tell me where you got that could you?
Always handy to have one around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts