Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These fault lights came up on my q3 (2013). The lights would come on intermittently and not every time I started the car. I presumed it was more than likely a sensor. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was the haldex drive pump, the pump was failing to drive the near side rear wheel which they replaced at a total repair cost of nearly £800.
Three weeks later the same fault lights came on again and were intermittent, the dealership took the car back and then diagnosed a faulty sensor which the now want to charge me £160.
I asked why that wasn’t picked up on the original diagnosis and was told it’s a separate fault.
I’m thinking of getting the garage ombudsman involved as I feel I’ve basically been charged nearly £1000 for a sensor that should have been picked up in the first place.
Any ideas on what I should do?

·
Registered
390 Posts
What was the milage and had the pump been serviced?

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
Ouch. It is imperative that you check the service history as the Haldex oil and filter need attention every three years. Audi themselves reckon between 20,000 and 40,000 mile intervals but Borg Warner are more realistic and recommend every three years. If yours hasn't been serviced at the correct intervals it was very likely shot and needed replacing anyway, but if it was serviced, the Haldex oil changed and the filter attended to at the correct intervals, it would very likely have been wrongly diagnosed as faulty, in which case you have a strong case against them for an expensive piece of misdiagnosis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch. It is imperative that you check the service history as the Haldex oil and filter need attention every three years. Audi themselves reckon between 20,000 and 40,000 mile intervals but Borg Warner are more realistic and recommend every three years. If yours hasn't been serviced at the correct intervals it was very likely shot and needed replacing anyway, but if it was serviced, the Haldex oil changed and the filter attended to at the correct intervals, it would very likely have been wrongly diagnosed as faulty, in which case you have a strong case against them for an expensive piece of misdiagnosis.
Ouch indeed mate, thank you for your reply gromit.
I was hoping that the fault lights coming on intermittently could only mean a sensor issue and not also a drive pump issue.
I just find it hard to believe they’re separate issues.
I will check the service history when I get the car back within the next few days though. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Do you have any details on the 'failed' sensor or any fault codes the garage based their diagnosis on.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
325 Posts
It does sound a bit like you are having the wool pulled - When they say " the pump was failing to drive the near side rear wheel" that cannot be correct. The Haldex connects both rear wheels when it detects a wheel loosing traction.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Check if Haldex filter is ever replaced, dealer says it never needs replacing, but if you change yourself you will understand why it urgently needs replacement. You can find on BorgWagner site, hope that it will be filter issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does sound a bit like you are having the wool pulled - When they say " the pump was failing to drive the near side rear wheel" that cannot be correct. The Haldex connects both rear wheels when it detects a wheel loosing traction.
It just doesn’t make sense to me so I will get the ombudsman involved if I have to. Just for peace of mind if anything. View attachment 1519

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Picking the bits out of the story....

The Haldex is an electro-hydraulic clutch that is located on the front (prop shaft side) of the rear differential. Normally the Q3 is front wheel drive and the rear wheels spin freely, when the system detects (using the ABS brake sensors to measure relative wheel rotation speeds) that the front wheels are starting to rotate faster than the rears an electrical signal is sent to the Haldex which wakes up, closes the hydraulic multi-plate clutch and drive is provided to the rear differential. Diagram here (actually for a VW transporter but shows the Haldex assembly on the left side of the image:

So...it sounds like the garage picked up that the ABS sensor for the NSR wheel was faulty, replaced it and then found that the pump was faulty - probably a clogged filter had trashed it, lots of images on here of that issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picking the bits out of the story....

The Haldex is an electro-hydraulic clutch that is located on the front (prop shaft side) of the rear differential. Normally the Q3 is front wheel drive and the rear wheels spin freely, when the system detects (using the ABS brake sensors to measure relative wheel rotation speeds) that the front wheels are starting to rotate faster than the rears an electrical signal is sent to the Haldex which wakes up, closes the hydraulic multi-plate clutch and drive is provided to the rear differential. Diagram here (actually for a VW transporter but shows the Haldex assembly on the left side of the image:

So...it sounds like the garage picked up that the ABS sensor for the NSR wheel was faulty, replaced it and then found that the pump was faulty - probably a clogged filter had trashed it, lots of images on here of that issue.
Thanks for your reply, the garage picked up the faulty sensor but didn’t change it, they just changed the pump.
When the lights came on again I returned it and now they’ve said it’s a faulty sensor and want to now charge me another £160 for that. I just feel I’ve paid nearly £1000 in total for a faulty sensor.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
Not necessarily - this is why checking the service history is important. If not serviced at the right intervals the Haldex unit would almost certainly be toast and would need replacing anyway. They may have gone for the Haldex at first instead of the sensor, which they certainly shouldn't have done, but however they found it was toast it would have needed replacing. They should have found the faulty sensor though, and replaced that at the same time regardless, but it's still important to check the history to see if the Haldex had indeed been maintained correctly. If it had, then you have good reason to raise the issue, but if not then you would more than likely have been driving a 2WD vahicle without knowing it.

Reactions: Carlos69

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not necessarily - this is why checking the service history is important. If not serviced at the right intervals the Haldex unit would almost certainly be toast and would need replacing anyway. They may have gone for the Haldex at first instead of the sensor, which they certainly shouldn't have done, but however they found it was toast it would have needed replacing. They should have found the faulty sensor though, and replaced that at the same time regardless, but it's still important to check the history to see if the Haldex had indeed been maintained correctly. If it had, then you have good reason to raise the issue, but if not then you would more than likely have been driving a 2WD vahicle without knowing it.
I will definitely be checking the service history when I get it back tomorrow evening from the garage.
Is there any questions I should be asking them about it and should I get the fault codes from them.
Thanks again for your help 👍

·
Registered
475 Posts
This is interesting, I asked the service manager at Wakefield Audi regarding Haldex servicing. He told me that every 20k miles the oil is replaced and that every 40k miles the filter is replaced.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Having read the diagnosis I can understand the way they tackled the repair . Apart from the poor way in which they explained the situation, I don't think you have been ripped off.
My Haldex pump failed after 5 years and 55K miles and had been serviced to the book by Audi so your pump would have been on borrowed time. It may have failed sometime previous without you being aware as Haldex faults rarely trigger dash warning lights
With ABS sensor faults, sometimes just removing and cleaning the connector is all that is needed to clear an intermittent fault code.
As you had no lights for a few weeks they may have done that before the sensor finally failed. Even if they did nothing to the sensor they would have road tested the car and re checked for fault codes and found the ABS issue was clear so no reason to change the sensor at that point in time.

Cheers Spike

Reactions: Carlos69

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having read the diagnosis I can understand the way they tackled the repair . Apart from the poor way in which they explained the situation, I don't think you have been ripped off.
My Haldex pump failed after 5 years and 55K miles and had been serviced to the book by Audi so your pump would have been on borrowed time. It may have failed sometime previous without you being aware as Haldex faults rarely trigger dash warning lights
With ABS sensor faults, sometimes just removing and cleaning the connector is all that is needed to clear an intermittent fault code.
As you had no lights for a few weeks they may have done that before the sensor finally failed. Even if they did nothing to the sensor they would have road tested the car and re checked for fault codes and found the ABS issue was clear so no reason to change the sensor at that point in time.

Cheers Spike
Thanks spike, I understand what your saying. That would definitely make sense.
I suppose I’ve just been unlucky with it.
Thanks for your input on this, much appreciated 👍

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
This is interesting, I asked the service manager at Wakefield Audi regarding Haldex servicing. He told me that every 20k miles the oil is replaced and that every 40k miles the filter is replaced.
Its good to know that some Audi dealers are maintaining Haldex units sufficiently. As previously reported, East Kent Audi waited until four years and 40,000 miles to tell me the Haldex needed servicing (I strongly suspect that was what contributed to it's failure only a few thousand miles after being serviced). Even then I had to request the filter pipe be cleaned or replaced as Audi insisted it wasn't necessary and charged me £50 extra for doing it.

Mind you, this is the company who sent Mrs G a request to bring her A3 Sportback 1.4TFSI in for an "urgently-needed" cambelt change. It hasn't got one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine is now 4 years old and was in for a service and MOT two weeks ago. I asked about the Haldex being serviced and was told it didn't need one according to the service schedule for my car. I shall have another word with them. What with holidays and lockdown I had only added 5,000 miles since last MOT.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
Strewth! It's at least a year overdue for an oil change and filter clean. As they're that clueless can I suggest taking it to a VAG indie? Far more knowledge and far lower bills than the main dealers on average. Wherever you go, I suggest getting it done as a matter of some urgency as you'll be in for some serious expense if you don't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts