Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined, Hi.

Why is it that when viewing forum posts there are large grey discs on the page, blanking out some of the posts?

Is there something I need to do, to stop this?

Michael.
TR5

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome Michael

Not seeing any grey discs - I'm viewing on a PC/MS Edge browser. What device are you using?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Hi Michael, welcome to the club!

I don't see the grey discs either so it'll be something specific to your hardware setup. What device, OS and browser are you using to access the site, and do you use an ad-blocker, if so which one?

·
Registered
682 Posts
There were problems with the grey discs with all Vertical Scope fora when the initial changeover took place but I can't remember how they were got rid of.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The admins were not exactly forthcoming about that I'm afraid. I can remember Spike suffered from them but I have no idea what his hardware setup is nor whether he was able to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
They have disappeared now. I'm not using anything out of the ordinary - either MS Windows or Chrome. Really weird, they covered the right half of my screen as soon as I joined, and were there for the first hour or so. Never seen anything like it before or elsewhere, and I belong to quite a few forums.

That aside, I collect my Q3 on Thursday, an ex-demo 2019 Quattro S-Line Vorsprung 2.0L Petrol 230PS Auto. in metallic white.

Also going to source a space-saver spare wheel and tools, and discover how to store it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And now they are back again, and 3 vertical flashing orange-coloured bars in the top righthand corner.
This is stupid!!!

And now gone again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is getting beyond the joke!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Thanks for the screenshot Michael, I've forwarded it on to the admins with a request to investigate and report. Hopefully we'll get an answer before too long.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Spike had the same thing when they upgraded the site:
Maybe Spike can enlighten you on what he did to fix it.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In my case I think it's the result of using Windows 7 with IE 11.
I now have a Windows 10 laptop with the Edge browser and that works fine

Still prefer using the desktop with a proper keyboard and big screen so may try the Edge browser on Windows 7 to keep the outdated system going a bit longer - even though it now dual boots with Windows 10 on a second hard drive

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have Windows 7, but was using Chrome. I also have Edge, so I’ll try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Bin Windows 7 Michael! It's out of support from Microsoft and not getting security patches these days - Windows 10 is a better all round experience.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The common denominator here is Windows 7 which really needs ditching. I'm no fan of Windows 10 but there's really no choice now, unless you want to come away completely from Micro$oft products and go over to Linux - strongly recommended for getting a new lease of life out of Windows 7 machines. Give Linux Mint a try - huge increase in performance, reliability and stability on older hardware.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems to be ok with Edge - so far. I need to keep W7 for the moment as I use MS Money extensively, again now unsupported by MS, and no real replacement for it, but unsure of the implications of whether it will work ok with W10.
I have W10 on a new Dell laptop, so if necessary I'll use that to access this forum. I have not seen this problem on any other forum that I use, and I use quite a few.
There must be something specific to this forum platform that causes it!
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks Michael. I understand your concerns over MS Money, I'm a Quicken 2004 user, again unsupported. I'm running mine in Compatibility mode to overcome the issues (just find the executable and right click). I have been looking at the BankTree application (30 day trial) and have concluded there may be, finally, a viable Plan B!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Michael: don't even try Money on Windows 10. As fast as you sort out the miriad problems getting it to run at all, M$ releases a new version that buggers it up again. Have a look at this article which lists and reviews five good open-source alternatives to M$ Money. There are two of particular interest - HomeBank and Money Manager EX - which are cross-platform and also have their own phone apps. HomeBank in particular can import directly from M$ Money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a great pity that MS decided not to support or progress with MS Money, as it is still a great program.
Once you get used to the way a program operates, it's not too easy changing, especially when talking of personal banking, investments and finance...
I will take a look at both suggestions though, with the thought of changing at sometime. Need to run them side by side to make sure it does what I want, and I have avoided the hassle so far!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am also interested to see if anyone has changed the formed hard-foam tray in the under-boot space, to make way for a space-saver spare wheel. It does, at the moment have the woofer for the radio in the space, but I believe of vehicles ordered new with a space saver, it fits inside the rim. Don't seem to get any sense out of Audi direct, but I have ordered (not from Audi) a space-saver spare wheel and tools, from TheWheelShop.co.uk
I'll be able to tell better when I get the vehicle, on Thurs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts