Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone elsehere have the Bluetooth option with Audi Connect with online services? Amongst other things, this is claimed to allow navigation using Google Earth images and Google Streetview.I have this option, and the Google Earth selection option is greyed out and cannot be selected. On checking with Audi, they say that this option only works if a SIM is inserted in the dash mounted SIM holder, which then overides the SIM in my mobile phone whichmeans that normal Bluetooth won't work with my phone. This seems very curious, and I was wondering whether any one had any experience of this.Had a loan A6 with Audi Connect, and Google Earth worked perfectly with my phone, so not sure why it shouldnt work on the Q3!Any thoughts/experiences?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I do and have noticed the same issue as you, I haven't put the sim directly into the dash though to see if that makes a difference. Currently I connect via Bluetooth as I get into the car which is convenient, I don't really want to have a sim permanently in the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I tested this on Sunday, Google Earth and Streetview work for me but only if I put my sim into the slot in the dash, it doesn't work via my bluetooth connection. I changed the Nav option in the MMI to Google Earth and it then threw up a prompt box saying the service required a data connection and did I want to allow it, I did and it then took about 10 seconds to load up the google earth map.

Navigation is smooth with the screen re-orientating quickly as I changed direction, the map itself seems very flat but is accurate. I wasn't able to have the traffic alert or any other information displaying whilst in google earth despite selecting display all as an option. When I was close to my destination a small photo box appeared in the bottom left of the screen with a photo of where I was going.

My first impression is that it looks good but the need to have a sim in the dash defeats the convenience of it for me, I am used to getting into a car, connecting via bluetooth and everything working, this isn't the case here. I will think about getting a separate sim for the car but again I don't really want another mobile number, I have two already and that's enough.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. To me it seems totally pointless to be able to access all the other online services via bluetooth, and yet have to resort to a separate SIM (or remove the sim from the phone) in order to use google earth. I have been a software designer, and just cannot see the logic in this. The loan A6 I had allowed the use of google earth via bluetooth, and the Q3 specification makes no mention of the need to use a separate SIM to access google earth.I am in touch with Audi Customer Services on this, and will keep you updated with developments.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks rontheman, if I can tether from my mobile up to 5 devices all pulling data simultaneously there is no way there should be an issue with pushing data over a bluetooth connection to 1 client, there is enough bandwidth to do this easily. If it's not possible then it's a bit off really and it should really have been made clear in the brochure or on the site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi this is my first post after being a lurker during my order period. Anyway the wait was over today when I picked up my Q3 - Hurrah!I had a few concerns after reading the forums about a couple of things, one of which was the Tech Pac and the Phone High (online features) options I had specified. Initially with during the handover from Audi the chap talked me through pairing my phone (a Galaxy S3) and we did and it was all fine. But no online features on the map :( He said to use a SIM card in the dash. I was a bit peeved like the rest of you as I felt like I had spent money on an option that would be a PITA to use.Anyway I have been busy reading the manual and just been out to repair my phone with the car and it looks like everything now works... I will have to test tomorrow with a good 3G signal and I will report back.
But the difference was the pairing mode I selected when doing theBluetoothconnection. Once the car has found your phone viaBluetoothit presented me with two options 1) Handsfree 2) CarPhone. Initially I had used Handsfree, but on reading page 37 of the MMI Handbook I went out to the car and have deleted the old pairing and redone it using the CarPhone option. This enables the Sim Access Profile which is what is required for the data access. My phone gave me a few more prompts to confirm I was ok with this and I just said yes and don't ask again. When I went back to the Nav settings I could select Google Map data or traffic info. As I said above I will test again tomorrow when I have a better signal.
I hope this helps those of you with the Tech Pack and Phone High.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Silly question - where does the SIM card fit into the dash?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Deeperblue. Though it seems I am still having a problem. Have tried the Sim in the dash and still no Google Earth (ie makes no difference whether the Sim is in the phone or dash).Curious thing is that every other online service works fine (ie weather, news, places of interest, as well as map display in traffic mode), regardless of whether the Sim is in the phone or the dashSo this proves that the online connection is there, and indeed the online icon displays correctly on the tab bar at the bottom of the screen. But the Google Earth selection on map display is still greyed out. So from the above it would appear that the problem is something in my car, and not a generic problem, but curious nonetheless.Contrition and Deeperblue, what MMSsoftware version do you have, out of interest?

·
Registered
11 Posts
just picked up ours at lunchtime today and was told the same by the salesman. We have the tech pack. Hubby's blackberry paired fine yet mine has failed. Could really do with sorting for long business trip tomorrow. Has anyone else hadpairing problems with BB?

·
Registered
5 Posts
As promised here is an update. I now have a fully working Audi Connect setup! Here is a potted guide to what I think you need to do.1) Bluetooth connection to car using Carphone profile so that you get "sim access"2) In telephone settings I had to manually change the Connection Details specifying the mobile phone network APN details. I am on Vodafone and it was not the Internet one, but the WAP one that worked.3) Select Google Earth or Traffic overlay in the Nav and you get Googlesatelliteimages on the screen or live traffic data for the main roads. I got a prompt to enable the live traffic data licence at this point and said yes.
Having had a quick play I was very pleased it was all working and it is easy to use. A nice feature is that my txt messages now get relayed to the Nav screen and there are potted replies from the MMI menu.
The sim card slot on the dash is only there if you have the Audi Connect option I believe. It is between the two SD card slots in my car which has Audi Connect and Tech Pack. I am on Media version HN+R_EU_AU_P0612 and Nav database 8R0060884AR ECE 6.15.5 and I haven't loaded the manual onto the HDD yet so those might get updated when I do that but I am not in a rush to do it as everything works!
Hope that helps you tweak your setup.

·
Registered
563 Posts
For anybody trying this with an iPhone, the iPhone doesn't support SAP so it will never work

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DeeperblueHave checked my settings and they are all ok. Basically I get ALL the online services, including traffic display, except for Google earth. So I assume from that that the phone is compatible and has been set up correctly. Everything that should work via Audi Connect is working save Google earth display, where the option is greyed out.Have raised it with my local dealer, whois looking into it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts