Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a 2.0 TFSI STronic to replace my manual 2.0 TDI manual. Really impressed buy the auto box and as I only do about 6K miles per annum petrol costs are not that relevant. Sticking with boring Monsoon Grey as I don't really like the other colours. (Yes you are right I am an old git).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
As one old git to another, welcome back to the petrol club!

Actually I rather think the world has moved on and many petrol powered cars today are narrowing the gap between diesel and petrol from a fuel economy point of view. My wife replaced a 3 year old 1.6 Diesel Mini (hateful thing) with an A1 1.4 Stronic three door and on a decent run the fuel economy is surprisingly similar (high fifties mpg), and as petrol is cheaper anyway there isn't much to not like.

Factor in the probability of the anti-diesel lobby achieving some of their objectives and diesel vehicles being seen as a an increasing risk as a sensible purchase decision the argument in favour of petrol is stronger than ever.

The Stronic box is a remarkable transmission, I wish Audi would do a Quattro Stronic drivetrain for the 1.4 petrol - was rumoured for the Q2 on launch but hasn't appeared so far.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I would probably go petrol for my next motor simply like RSQ3John said, the margin in fuel economy has narrowed and I cant bear the hassle and the cost of Adblue.By then electric cars will probably be the mainstream so it wont really matter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Diesel still has a decent torque and kick you don't get from some of the smaller petrol engines but I do think over a period of years (10+) diesel will probably phase out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I still worry about my choice (going for the diesel over petrol) but when it came to it I just couldn't live with 30MPG (I would have had the 2.0 Quattro).
If anyone tells me they're getting mid to late 30's with that spec then I may start going mad

I do like the sound of a petrol engine though, far more refined and clearly diesel isn't for the long term.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the 1.4 and both my wife and I have said we notice little difference driving tound in that to the 2.0tdi we had before. Speed is more or less be same and whle going on a short drive on Sunday clocked 49mpg. We managed over 40 on France on motorways where we did not go below 80. I know it is not Quattro but with figures like these I do not mind

·
Registered
410 Posts
FredW said:
I have the 1.4 and both my wife and I have said we notice little difference driving tound in that to the 2.0tdi we had before. Speed is more or less be same and whle going on a short drive on Sunday clocked 49mpg. We managed over 40 on France on motorways where we did not go below 80. I know it is not Quattro but with figures like these I do not mind
Yes Fred, I've "clocked" up to 52mpg on a 10 mile run on flat-ish country A roads, in medium/high volume traffic running non-stop at 40~45 mph with CoD cutting in regularly but that's not true real world mpg.
I've also "clocked" 40mpg on a regular 45 mile run (30 on Motorway, 15 on A roads, thearbaintbeno moutarwaes downe yer in Darset) at indicated legal limit + 10% + 2 mph max with CoD cutting in, off gas down hill, but that's not real world mpg either.
My mileage profile is 35% Motorway/55% A road/10% Town. I use the Fuelly website to determine my real world mpg. This is my Fuelly graph, since I ran my engine in, for this year over 4402 miles, tank to tank:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/q3/2016/harppy/546490/fuelchart
I changed from winter to summer tyres (17") on the 14th March when my average was 38 mpg. Since changing to Summer Tyres (18") my mpg has been more variable and my average is now 37.4 mpg.
Not a patch on the 50.5 mpg I got using the same methodology with my 2.0 TDI 140PS (170PS SHhhhhhh!) Scirocco BUT I love this engine and the revvy driving style it allows me but I miss the economy and the kick in the back the TDI gave me. I see myself as a victim of the times!
Go on Fred give Fuelly a go and see what you're actually getting.

PS When viewing the mpg chart please make sure the units are set to UK and touch on the chart to see the recorded mpg.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My calulations were based on actual fuel purchased against milage travelled rather than using the onboard computer. The. Reduced fuel costs do not make much of a difference but the saving on engine prices do. Are there any comparisons between diesel and petrol service costs?

At the end of the day I just kis myself that I am helping to save the planet.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The service costs are similar from what I've seen so far - not cheap!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Build starting mid-July and plan to register it on 1 Sep

·
Registered
71 Posts
Glad to hear all the good noises here as my 1.4 petrol has been on order for a few weeks now and I too am due to collect on 1st Sept. I had my arm twisted by Mrs B to save the planet and get good residuals before the diesels were cast into the outer darkness and damned forever. Didn't take much to make me put in an order for a new model with all the options I wanted. Current Q3 was a Demo model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts