Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to fuse the interior lights whilst swapping the glovebox light for LED.
The handbook helpfully states fuse no3 rated at 5A is the one to check. I couldnt find any diagram showing the fusebox layout in the handbook. Opened up the fusebox to find none of the fuse positions appear to be numbered!As I knew it was a 5A that narrowed down the choice. I had two 5A fuses that could have been no 3, top row third in from right and similar on the bottom row.These were all mini fuses. there are also standard size fuses, but no 5A ones in a position that could have been no3. so that narrowed things down a bit further.Main point here is that it is more hit and miss finding the correct fuse than it should have been. Something to bear in mind if you have a fuse go. Also I dont see the reasoning behind having two physically different fuse sizes in the same fuse box, with the same ratings. Just creates another obstacle to DIY in my opinion.
if anyone has a diagram showing the fuse numbering it would be great if they could posd it up here for future reference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Dave. I did the same thing this week changing the boot build to a led. That worked OK but I fused the interior lights twice changing the glove box bulb. Perhaps i was just fortunate and saw that the numbering starts bottom row, right corner. It might have been that there were no fuses in the hand book at numbers 1, 2 and 4. I agree it is strange to have two different sizes.

·
Registered
563 Posts
OK guys and girls a word of warning as i stated before in my other thread, if you are changing bulbs do not use anything metal to extract the old bulb from the holder as it is very easy to blow the fuses.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Del, the problem I had is with the replacement LED bulbs as they seem to have a metal shoulder which if you push the bulb in two far it shorts. I should have got the ones in the link in this thread, lesson learnt. I did heed notice and use a pencil to remove the old bulb. Better still would be to remove the fuse before doing anything. Cheers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What didnthelp also is the recessed position of the glovebox light and the fact that on my car at least, there was very little slack in the cable. I had to tie a piece of string to the connector before disconnecting the lamp to change the bulb, for fear of it disappearing never to be seen again into the dash space!The boot light fitting was much better in this respect and had around four inches of slack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've done exactly the something today! I found the fuse no problem, they are numbered but hard to see as very small! Boot light easy to do but glove box a real pain as no slack at all on cable.

I couldn't see any spare fuses so I guess I need to buy some?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys for your advice on changing the boot lamps. I managed to change them without blowing the fuse.Anyone have any clue as to how to change the interior roof lamp to LEDs. I managed to change the front roof lamp but yet to figure out how to take the rear roof lamp apart. Any advice welcome

·
Registered
275 Posts
How'd you get into the front lamp?

I'm sure I'd work it out if I look, but a head start would be good

·
Registered
6 Posts
I gently prysed (using a plastic pry tool) the cover off from the near edge of the lens console and it popped out easily enough. Changed the build to LEDs and pressed the lens back on which snapped back on easily. The white light from the LED looks nicer when it shines on to black leather interior rather then the yellow light.I try to prys the lens on the rear roof lamp. The rear part of the lens pops out but I could not get the front part of the lens to come off inspite of reasonable force. I certainly don't wanna break the light, so I didn't try too hard. If you figure out how to do it, please let me know.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry GSudhir, been stacked at work and it's half term so looking after little ones too, gope to give all a go soon then will be back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts